Old 01-16-2017, 07:45 AM   #1
Obx

City: Outer banks NC
Paint Teak Deck

Has anyone painted over the teak deck with a product like Awlgrip.
Per the manufacturer you can paint over seasoned teak decks.
Obx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2017, 07:57 AM   #2
Veteran Member

City: Palm Coast, FL
Vessel Name: Miss Maggie
Vessel Model: 1990 Grand Banks 36
You're not serious are you ?
tracie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2017, 08:08 AM   #3
Obx

Yep
Old 01-16-2017, 08:17 AM   #4
Guru

City: Bayview
Vessel Name: Puffin
Vessel Model: Willard Vega 30
Gasp!

You probably will need to use an oil based product that can flex with the wood. One of the one part Poly type paints would be a second choice. Awlgrip dries to a rock hard shell and really is not the best choice for wood.

It's none of my business but I have to ask why you are doing this?

Regards,
Bob
Old 01-16-2017, 08:59 AM   #5
Guru

City: Italy
Vessel Name: Didi Mau
Vessel Model: Currently looking for next boat
I have seen handrails on KKs painted with Awlgrip, and they look like molded plastic. I was surprised to learn that there was teak underneath.

Gordon
Gordon J is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2017, 09:06 AM   #6
Obx

1st: I'm not good at painting (i'm messy) and 2nd I don't want to redoing it every year or 2.

What about https://www.plasteak.com/ has anyone used this product

As a alternative to painting: I'm considering replacing the swim platform and exterior decks with this
Old 01-16-2017, 09:13 AM   #7
Guru

City: Bayview
Vessel Name: Puffin
Vessel Model: Willard Vega 30
I've looked at Plasteak and to me it looks like the name it's given. Nice thing though, it's your boat and you can do anything you want. Are your decks in awful shape and beyond saving?
Old 01-16-2017, 09:48 AM   #8
Guru

Vessel Model: Nordic Tug 37
Quote:
Originally Posted by Obx View Post
1st: I'm not good at painting (i'm messy) and 2nd I don't want to redoing it every year or 2.

What about https://www.plasteak.com/ has anyone used this product

As a alternative to painting: I'm considering replacing the swim platform and exterior decks with this
been in use for several years in this Europe. Good resistance to UV, winter, salt waters, it is not slippery when wet. only shows the synthetic so there is such a high prestige value here, as the real teak, but if it does not matter it's a good product. is used in several boat as an option, for example, Sargo, North Star made in finland etc.

Skarne Marine LLC
Nord Star USA | Nord Star Boats
North Baltic sea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2017, 09:57 AM   #9
Enigma

City: Slicker?
Greetings,
Mr. OBX. I've heard the synthetic decking is hot on bare feet. Something to consider if going to all the trouble of stripping your current deck and putting down something else. Also, you may wish to consolidate your 2 threads into 1 to get all the responses in one place.
Old 01-16-2017, 10:10 AM   #10
Guru

City: Concrete Washington State
Vessel Name: Willy
Vessel Model: Willard Nomad 30'
What's so nice about teak is the texture of it's surface.

You will need something very flexable. Is your teak caulked in the seams of narrow planks? Too much flexing/working for most coatings. PU truck bed liner coating or something similar m ay be what you want in some ways ... but perhaps not what you'd want at the yacht club. Fishermen in Alaska coated their decks w tar or pine tar. There are pine tar finishes/coatings that you may even like. Perhaps a stained pine tar would fill your cup.

Is your goal a maint. free coating that will allow you a work free hobby?

North Western Washington State USA
Nomad Willy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2017, 10:16 AM   #11
TF Site Team

City: Jacksonville
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nomad Willy View Post
... PU truck bed liner coating or something similar m ay be what you want in some ways ... but perhaps not what you'd want at the yacht club...
We saw a teak deck that the owner had applied a pick up truck bed liner coating. The said it had been on for 3 years. The teak planking/seams telegraphed through the coating. No leaks but it wasn't a yacht type finish either.
Larry M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2017, 11:06 AM   #12
Obx

I was wondering if it was hot, my dad had a deck made from plastic wood type (can't remember the name now) but his was hot.

To clear up a couple of things:
1. I couldn't find a GB that didn't have the teak decks.
2. I don't want to spend a ton of time working on wood, I'm not good with painting etc (I'd just as soon take a A$$ whooping than paint).
3. I only had this in one section and it was suggested I post here.
4. The decks were done in 2010 boat has sat at the pier since then.
5. We're still working and don't want to have do something every couple of years when we could be boating.

I'm in the process of purchasing the boat and was looking for alternatives
3. I'm good at the mechanical side of things.
Old 01-16-2017, 11:15 AM   #13
Enigma

City: Slicker?
Greetings,
Mr. OBX. What do you mean the decks were "done" in 2010. Refinished? Painted? Coated? If it is only a small area, I would go with what's on there already and worry about longevity (of the deck) down the road.
Regarding point #5...I'm afraid, my friend, that you WILL be doing something every couple of years. If not the deck then the windows/rub rails etc. It's a boat. ALWAYS, yes ALWAYS something to be done.
That being said, you can defer some repairs by quick fixes (truck bed liner over the teak for example) BUT at some point you will have to bite the bullet and do a proper repair.
Old 01-16-2017, 11:34 AM   #14
Obx

Quote:
Originally Posted by RT Firefly View Post
Greetings,
Mr. OBX. What do you mean the decks were "done" in 2010. Refinished? Painted? Coated? If it is only a small area, I would go with what's on there already and worry about longevity (of the deck) down the road.
Regarding point #5...I'm afraid, my friend, that you WILL be doing something every couple of years. If not the deck then the windows/rub rails etc. It's a boat. ALWAYS, yes ALWAYS something to be done.
That being said, you can defer some repairs by quick fixes (truck bed liner over the teak for example) BUT at some point you will have to bite the bullet and do a proper repair.
Mr. RT Thanks for advice, the deck seems fine (no soft spots) but the survey next week will tell. I've had boats since I was 12 so yea they are work the 2 I have now are work. Saying all that I know I'm going to have to do things it's just the satisfaction of how nice the boat would look right after restoring the deck is short lived with the punishment of the sun. I kind of refer to it as OBOY it's Friday and then Monday here again, time to start over.
Old 01-18-2017, 08:32 AM   #15
Guru

City: North Charleston, SC
Painting a teak deck is something that can't be undone. This is something that may turn off future buyers (you're not going to live forever).

If you are too busy to do proper maintenance on them, there are folks out there who do this for a living. All you have to do is write a check.

I would think long and hard before taking such a drastic step. And remember, paint isn't forever either.
rwidman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2017, 08:57 AM   #16
Guru

City: Port Townsend Washington
Vessel Name: " OTTER "
Vessel Model: Ocean Alexander Europa 40
OBX

If your looking for a low maintenance boat dont look at Grand Banks.. with all the exterior teak they need a lot of care.. look at something like a Nordic Tug.. the decks on a GB are not where all the work is!

HOLLYWOOD
hollywood8118 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2017, 09:47 AM   #17
Guru

Vessel Model: Nordic Tug 37
Quote:
Originally Posted by hollywood8118 View Post
OBX

If your looking for a low maintenance boat dont look at Grand Banks.. with all the exterior teak they need a lot of care.. look at something like a Nordic Tug.. the decks on a GB are not where all the work is!

HOLLYWOOD

my Nordig tug have teak deck, and it does not become a nuisance, it is glued to the no lid screws, teak is about 12mm thick and nicely fittedClick image for larger version

Name:	nordic-tugs-nordic-tug-37-trawler-46170070161268696657686655494566x.jpg
Views:	246
Size:	44.6 KB
ID:	60541
North Baltic sea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2017, 12:06 PM   #18
Guru

City: Anacortes
Trying to paint a teak deck is a terrible idea and will end up looking like hell.
As others mentioned, if you don't like maintenance don't buy a GB. Teak decks, varnished caprails and handrails, wood window frames. They're the definition of exterior maintenance.
sean9c is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2017, 03:41 PM   #19
Guru

City: Beverly Hills
Here's an example of paint on teak. We are going to try a soy based liqiud paint remover to get it off. Lucky for us the PO painter only did borders !
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_1252.jpg  
HiDHo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2017, 03:56 PM   #20
TF Site Team

City: Jacksonville
Quote:
Originally Posted by HiDHo View Post
Here's an example of paint on teak. We are going to try a soy based liqiud paint remover to get it off. Lucky for us the PO painter only did borders !
I feel your pain. When we bought Hobo the aft decks were varnished. We found the best removal tool was a random orbital sander. It wasn't our first choice. They had been varnishing the decks for years and what we removed in sanding, was less than what would have occurred under normal wear and tear, fortunately.
Larry M is offline   Reply With Quote