New Grand Banks 60

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
BandB is correct. It was to replace the Aleutians and the GB 54 Europa and that is how it was pitched to me. I didn't want either of those because of the draw although the 54 I could live with. Both have stand up engine rooms and are fast for those who only believe a trawler can travel at hull speed. :banghead:

BTW. I believe the owners of GB brought in Mark Richards after his success with a Palm Beach to save a failing company.

Just my SSO!

BTW. I believe the owners of GB brought in Mark Richards after his success with a Palm Beach to save a failing company.

Just my SSO!

100%. Plus there was an upside for Palm Beach also which could be maximized as Palm Beach needed the production capacity plus could benefit from some production efficiency moves. Mark couldn't expand Palm Beach without somewhere to build more boats.

And let's not forget the friendship of Richards and the owners of GB. Hopefully it will work out for the best.

And let's not forget the friendship of Richards and the owners of GB. Hopefully it will work out for the best.

The largest owners of GB, The Genting Group family (Exa Limited 25%), was also very determined to maintain them as a Malaysian employer, a Singapore listed company. They had rejected a very attractive offer for the company years earlier, which actually led to the termination of Livingston, who remains a 15% owner. They have huge investments in Malaysia and Singapore and relationships and image to maintain and felt a sense of loyalty to the people of Malaysia. Other purchasers of Grand Banks would have likely moved the manufacturing operations. Many of the institutional and other investors are in Singapore as well.

The deal with Richards was a huge gamble, but they were in a position they had to gamble as continuing to run the company the way it had been run wasn't going to get them anywhere. Value was declining yearly. The sales and production of Palm Beach boats has saved them and held them together while developing a new concept for Grand Banks.

Bruce is/was a friend of mine and built my current boat, I really like Bruce, a no BS type of guy. If he could accommodate you he would, I wanted a hard top on my boat and was told it couldn't be done, a short talk with Bruce and it was done (plus a bunch of other stuff). Yes I paid for the mold for the hard top for the 40 - 46. LOL

I haven't looked at this thread as I have no interest in 60' boats. But I'm glad I did. She's a beauty. The most amazing thing about her is the narrow entry. Don't think I've seen a GB before w a narrow entry. Not just a bit but as the Brits say "quite". Reminds me of the Mathews boats of the 50's. A complete departure from other GB boats. The proportions (and lines too) hark of much older boats .. perhaps even the 50's.

I hope it sticks. Wouldn't on smaller boats. People think size is the OAL not realizing size is volume not length. Buyers of 60' boats may be more objective. And a plus for GB is that a low and slim boat requires less materials to build. So in the marketplace they may have the most elegant 60' boat and perhaps at a good price too.

Cheers to GB ....

Isn't the different stainless steel quality used by manufacturers amazing?

We had an Edson steering wheel on our sailboat that could not be kept polished.

No matter what we did, it would begin rusting as soon as it saw even as little as some rain...

I finally purchased a Lewmar wheel to replace it, problem solved!

Interesting Bruce. I have twins Edison's on my sailboat. They are 12 years old and have spent the last 7 years out in the PNW weather. I will get an occasional rust spot. It only if I neglect my twice yearly wipe with a Miracle cloth.

Interesting Bruce. I have twins Edison's on my sailboat. They are 12 years old and have spent the last 7 years out in the PNW weather. I will get an occasional rust spot. It only if I neglect my twice yearly wipe with a Miracle cloth.

We're yours the older 6 spoke design? Those were built here in the USA and were fine. They are also identified by the non-tapered hub Edson used to use. When Edson switched to the 5 spoke, tapered hub style pedestal, they took production to...China! They admitted to having lots of issues with stainless with these wheels. Ours was simply awful! No matter how many times it was polished or with what, it rusted as soon as it was exposed to water. Edson even swapped the wheel after 1 season for a new one. We waxed it, we machine polished it and tried every miracle coating I could find...in the end I sold it. Problem solved!
It was no better that the original. I was so disappointed that I thought about asking for different wheels for our new Tug as these too are supplied by Edson. So far, they have shown no sign of the rusting that our sailboat wheel suffered.
If they do, I'm sure Lewmar makes a replacement though...

Bruce B

I wish hawse pipes were as easy to find. LOL

Thanks Bruce. You don't care how you spend my money. LMAO

Back
Top Bottom