Old 08-29-2016, 01:09 AM   #1
Al
Guru

City: ketchikan, Alaska
Vessel Name: 'SLO'~BELLE
Vessel Model: 1978 Marben-27' Flybridge Trawler(extended to 30 feet) Pilothouse Pocket Cruiser[
Maybe posted in the wrong thread-GB Answers here

{Posted under 'General subject' Perhaps here on the specific thread more will be viewing. Thanks, Al}

Surprised that I have to make inquiry. Knowing that the woody hulls had plywood cabins, were they over layed with glass? And then when glass hulls came about, did the construction continue with wood houses glass over layed?
and then were the later,latest newer boats all glass, hull and cabin?

Al-Ketchikan 27' Marbin pocket CRUISER
Al is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2016, 09:50 AM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Al View Post
{Posted under 'General subject' Perhaps here on the specific thread more will be viewing. Thanks, Al}

Surprised that I have to make inquiry. Knowing that the woody hulls had plywood cabins, were they over layed with glass? And then when glass hulls came about, did the construction continue with wood houses glass over layed?
and then were the later,latest newer boats all glass, hull and cabin?

Al-Ketchikan 27' Marbin pocket CRUISER
The woody hulls had plywood cabins , built in Junk Bay Hong Kong shipyard, never layed with glass.
When the glass hulls came (start 1974 in the new shipyard in Singapore) the boats were all glass hull and cabin. Glass cabin decorated inside with wooden panels.
User915 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2016, 11:46 AM   #3
Al
Guru

Vessel Model: 1978 Marben-27' Flybridge Trawler(extended to 30 feet) Pilothouse Pocket Cruiser[
OMC- Quote:{When the glass hulls came (start 1974 in the new shipyard in Singapore) the boats were all glass hull and cabin. Glass cabin decorated inside with wooden panels.}

Thanks OMC this was I was seeking, Were I to become interested in GB's knowing the beginning of the all glass is the first consideration.

Al-Ketchikan 27'Marben pocket CRUISER
Old 08-31-2016, 01:37 AM   #4
Guru

City: Vallejo, California
Vessel Name: Mahalo Moi
Vessel Model: 1986 Grand Banks 42 Classic
I posted your question over on the GB forum. The following is a couple of responses. Hope this helps.

"We have one of the first batch of fiberglass GBs built. After 18 years of ownership we have come to think of this generation of GBs as wood boats in a fiberglass shell. Smile

The hull is a solid glass layup, of course. The main and flying bridge decks are glass-plywood-glass sandwiches with the teak plank surfaces screwed down onto them. The cabins are fiberglass shell moldings with interior wood bracing and paneling. The fore and aft cabin overheads are fiberglass reinforced with plywood. The flying bridge is a fiberglass molding; from the various holes I've drilled or removed fasteners from there does not seem to be any wood used in the flying bridge shell. The entire interior of the boat-- floors, bulkheads, berths, cabinetry, doors, etc.--- is wood with the exception of the countertop surfaces and the shower pan under the teak shower grate."

And,

DREAMER
Oak Harbor WA
45' Alaskan 1974
Supporting Member

Mexico
PostPosted: 30 Aug 2016 07:05 Post subject: Reply with quote

"I think Marin probably summarized the situation with the fiberglass GBs pretty well. Most "fiberglass" boats use plywood in back of the fiberglass to provide good purchase for fasteners (laminate is not so good for that) and also to provide stiffness.

The GB woodies only used fiberglass & resin for the cabin tops and so did not cover the cabin or other areas with fiberglass & resin."
Ray
"Mahalo Moi"
1986 GB-42 Classic
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑβΕ
Giggitoni is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2016, 09:12 AM   #5
Al
Guru

"I posted your question over on the GB forum. The following is a couple of responses. Hope this helps." quote

Excellent!! And thanks to the GB posters and yourself.
Al
Old 08-31-2016, 12:17 PM   #6
Guru

City: Bayview
Vessel Name: Puffin
Vessel Model: Willard Vega 30
Al,

Don't eliminate a woody right off the bat. If properly cared for a woody is a very nice boat and can usually be a real bargain.

Bob
Old 08-31-2016, 12:40 PM   #7
Al
Guru

Sorry Bob, after 14 years with keeping a classic wood boat up following annual two-three weeks each spring doing such, to see my mooring neighbors come down with a pressure washer, spend an hour on their fiberglass boat, and then wish me the best, I finally saw the light.
With 150 inches plus each year. keeping a wood boat up in the elements is just a struggle too far!!.
Not to speak to the several visits to the wood repair boat shop $$$$$

I will always admire finely maintained wood boats and champion their owners, my remaining years of boating will revolve around fully fiberglass boats.
Our current boat is a amazing example of low maintenance, no leaks, easily maintained surfaces. Asking about the Grand Banks relates to the inbreed manly '2 foot-itis' factor

Al-Ketchikan 27' Marben pocket CRUISER
Old 09-01-2016, 03:09 PM   #8
Guru

City: Bayview
Vessel Name: Puffin
Vessel Model: Willard Vega 30
Boat house!
Old 09-01-2016, 08:19 PM   #9
Al
Guru

Not zoned in our public harbors.