Old 12-31-2017, 03:59 PM   #1
Veteran Member

City: Blacksburg
Vessel Name: Sea Fever
Vessel Model: Grand Banks 49 Classic
Interior issues

Recently bought a 1983 GB 49 Classic.
Iíve noticed a slowly spreading area of whiteness developing in the Aft. Saloonís parquet teak flooring (pic).
Iíve checked for dampness..none. Leaks behind cabinets...none.

What is your opinion as to what th8s might be, and can I lightly sand it, restain and poly?

Thanks!
Capt.Sea FeverClick image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1514757558.916249.jpg
Views:	171
Size:	110.7 KB
ID:	71653

Capt. Sea Fever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2017, 04:07 PM   #2
Guru

It looks like water damage to me. You have to find the leak

motion30 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2017, 04:16 PM   #3
TF Site Team

City: JAX, FL
Vessel Name: Hobo
Vessel Model: Krogen 42-120
Quote:
Originally Posted by motion30 View Post
It looks like water damage to me. You have to find the leak
I agree. It looks like moisture maybe under the parquet is lifting the finish.
Larry M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2017, 05:12 PM   #4
TF Site Team

City: California Delta and SF Bay
Vessel Name: FlyWright
Vessel Model: Marshall Californian 34 LRC
Treat the cause before addressing the damage.
FlyWright is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2018, 06:26 AM   #5
Guru

City: Jupiter, Florida
Vessel Name: Black Eyed Susan
Vessel Model: Grand Banks 42' Classic
Looks like old damage to me, from a leak that has already been taken care of. Can't see but is it under the refrigerator or freezer? Have you had the boat long enough to know whether or not it is still leaking under any condition?
firstbase is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2018, 09:38 AM   #6
Guru

City: Philadelphia, PA
Vessel Name: Revel
Vessel Model: 1984 Fu Hwa 39
All previous answers are correct.

Is it still leaking? What was it that leaked? Do I see a little lift of finish on the vertical joint in the cabinet front?

I would add, fearfully, what's beyond the cabinets? Is there any chance that the water is coming from: deck/hull, seeping under the cabinet floor from an adjacent wet space, condensate, plumbing, shower base. Thinking that the water traveled under the cabinet but on top of the subfloor.

I hope that the floor was finished in place rather than prefinished. An easier repair.
DHeckrotte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2018, 08:40 PM   #7
Guru

City: Saltspring Island
Vessel Name: Retreat
Vessel Model: C&L 44
" and can I lightly sand it, restain and poly?"

That must be removed, down to the bare wood. Best to use a scraper to get the old, cracked varnish all off, then sand with 120 grit, then 220 grit paper. Let it dry for a week or so, to be absolutely sure it has shed any residual moisture. Lightly sand the rest of the floor, 220 grit paper, then on the bare wood, thin the first coat, then recoat the whole floor without thinning, so one coat on the undamaged, 2 on the repair. If the grain at the repair still stands out, lightly sand and apply a third coat. The original finish is likely semi gloss polyurethane, so that would be a good choice. The original has no stain, so don't stain the repair. Any noticeable colour difference will disappear within the first year.
Old 01-01-2018, 10:53 PM   #8
Guru

City: Au Gres, MI
Vessel Name: Never Say Never
Vessel Model: President 41 DC
A throw rug will fix that...
Comodave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2018, 11:22 AM   #9
Guru

City: Caimanera
Vessel Name: On the Beach in Cuba
Definitely looks like a water leak and has migrated along the seams. If you have fixed or know the leak is fixed then refinishing is fairly easy. There is a lot of material in the parquet and it was finished in place. Sand to you needs and refinish with your favorite product. I would go with a satin finish.
Old 01-02-2018, 11:32 AM   #10
Guru

City: Carefree, Arizona
Vessel Name: sunchaser V
Vessel Model: DeFever 48
Was an ice maker sitting there at one time? Or the line to one hiding somewhere? Or a box of water sitting there during a hard freeze? Yada yada --
sunchaser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2018, 11:33 AM   #11
Guru

City: B.C.
Vessel Name: Island Pride
Vessel Model: Palmer sedan 32'
What is above the damaged area? SOmeone mentioned a fridge/freezer? If so that could be a leak source when defrosting, either manually or auto. If the drain tube was blocked water could overflow onto the floor and do that. Maybe more than once.
It might matter what is above.
C lectric is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2018, 12:48 PM   #12

City: Punta Gorda, Florida
Vessel Name: Salty
Vessel Model: Fu Hwa 34 Europa
[QUOTE=Capt. Sea Fever;622019]Recently bought a 1983 GB 49 Classic.
Iíve noticed a slowly spreading area of whiteness developing in the Aft. Saloonís parquet teak flooring (pic).

The key to me is your statement "slowly spreading". I would be very suspicious that you still have moisture in the flooring - whether the leak is still happening or not remains to be found. You might try a cheap trial of scraping the delaminated finish off and cover the bare wood with paper towels. Weight them down and see if you get any moisture wicking out of the flooring. At least this would tell you if you have moisture. If the paper towel gets wet then you most likely have an active leak and must investigate further for a source before refinishing, or you will be doing the refinishing of the floor again down the road. Good Luck - water usually travels the path of least resistance so looking a good distance away may be necessary. Sometimes like a creek, it can be a winding path.

John
Capt Jack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2018, 09:14 PM   #13
Veteran Member

City: Blacksburg
Vessel Name: Sea Fever
Vessel Model: Grand Banks 49 Classic
[QUOTE=Capt Jack;622532]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Capt. Sea Fever View Post
Recently bought a 1983 GB 49 Classic.

The key to me is your statement "slowly spreading". I would be very suspicious that you still have moisture in the flooring - whether the leak is still happening or not remains to be found. You might try a cheap trial of scraping the delaminated finish off and cover the bare wood with paper towels. Weight them down and see if you get any moisture wicking out of the flooring. At least this would tell you if you have moisture. If the paper towel gets wet then you most likely have an active leak and must investigate further for a source before refinishing, or you will be doing the refinishing of the floor again down the road. Good Luck - water usually travels the path of least resistance so looking a good distance away may be necessary. Sometimes like a creek, it can be a winding path.

John

Thanks for everyoneís comments!,

The floor is actually on the port side of the aft. cabin just near the drawers. Iíve removed them but did not see any sign of leakage.

There has never been an ice maker in that location.

I like the comment of scraping and then applying a paper towel under a weight. Iíll try that when I return to the boat next month.( Too cold now....! South Carolina)

I also like the throw rug comment.

....more later!
Ciao!
Capt. Sea Fever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2018, 05:38 AM   #14

City: Lottsburg, Va
Vessel Name: Amazing Grace
Vessel Model: Ocean Alexander 52 Sedan
We had a 42 GB with a freezer located port side in the aft end of the saloon, maybe where your damage is located. The freezer didn't leak but a poor gasket seal generated condensation along the bottom of the freezer door which would end up on the floor. A new gasket and tighter latch solved the issue before we had noticeable damage on the floor. While you indicate there is a cabinet in that space, could a freezer have been located there before?
Now if this is in the aft cabin, I would suspect the aft hatch, check the joints, on our '91 we had to rebuild that hatch opening as it had begun to seep rainwater into the cabin. Again we caught it fairly soon.
bnoft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2018, 12:52 PM   #15

City: Southport NC
We had a similar spot under the salon fridge. 42 Classic. Kept trying to find the leak in or around the fridge. Discovered it was a hole in the bottom of the window channel. Water running down the inside of the wall and wicking into the parquet. Plugged the hole, problem solved.

Worth checking. In redoing all the felt tracks found a number of plugged drains and unused holes in the aluminum tracks.
Trawlergal1990 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2018, 02:30 PM   #16
Guru

City: Palm Coast
Vessel Name: Southerly
Vessel Model: 1986 Marine Trader 36' Sundeck
I’m concerned you say it’s spreading. Put a moisture meter on it, then you will know for sure. If you don’t have one, it can be rented cheap.
Donna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2018, 03:47 PM   #17
Guru

City: Jupiter, Florida
Vessel Name: Black Eyed Susan
Vessel Model: Grand Banks 42' Classic
Maybe the spreading is just the finish continuing to go bad from the past leak? Moisture got under and it is just now lifting up?
firstbase is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2018, 10:53 PM   #18
Veteran Member

City: Boston
Vessel Name: Rose Mary
Vessel Model: 42 Grand Banks Motoryacht - 1985
There is no leak. I'm guessing the boat was in cool water at some point and the problem parquet is the stuff at the very edge which happens to be laid directly against the hull. Condensation forms in and around that teak because it's so cool directly against the hull. We live in Boston and have this problem right now. Can't fix it till the water warms up so the teak can dry out. We will try to refinish the wood, but first saturate it with epoxy to prevent any air and water from getting in there. The teak laminate on the plywood that buts up against it will be next to fail, ours is peeling off at the bottom.
Westiculo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2018, 07:46 AM   #19
Veteran Member

City: Boston
Vessel Name: Rose Mary
Vessel Model: 42 Grand Banks Motoryacht - 1985
Here's an update on mine. I took off the cabinet front and sanded down the parquet in that area. You can see water coming up through the seams now, I know that it's condensation because it only comes up through the seams where the parquet is laid directly on the hull. This only happens on warm days when there's moisture in the air; the harbor water is now at 35 degrees. It's only going to get worse until the water warms up again in May. I think I'm going to try to epoxy it to prevent air and moisture from getting in there - that's if I can get it to dry out. The exposed glass I will insulate with great stuff and put a layer of reflectix over.

If you're moving a boat from a warm to a cold climate, you definitely want to figure out your hull condensation before the water temperature drops!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	After Sanding.JPG
Views:	43
Size:	58.9 KB
ID:	72758   Click image for larger version

Name:	Wet Seams.JPG
Views:	45
Size:	54.9 KB
ID:	72759  
Westiculo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2018, 09:05 AM   #20
Guru

City: Philadelphia, PA
Vessel Name: Revel
Vessel Model: 1984 Fu Hwa 39
Do I understand correctly that you have parquet flooring which is partly on a wood substructure and partly directly adhered to the fiberglass hull? Two of my previous boats had a similar detail; it seems that the livable area of boats commonly intersect with the hull. On one, the Teak sole was loose boards screwed down where possible and tapered to about 1/8" thick as it extended onto the hull.

The other was/is more to the point of yours: I bedded Teak strips onto the 'glass substructure and the hull using epoxy. I coated out the strips as they went in. The whole surface was sanded smooth and coated out. Thus the Teak was encapsulated in epoxy and water was no longer an issue.

However, I fear you have a different problem. I think that condensation would occur on the cold surface exposed to damp air. I don't think condensation would occur on a cold surface under the insulative wood and then come up as water through the seams. Is it possible that condensation is occurring on the adjacent hull fiberglass and running down and into the floor?

If not, continue looking for a leak.

DHeckrotte is offline   Reply With Quote