Hatch covers teak decking coming up

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

allengb32

I noted my Port hatch cover on my 1990 GB 32 has the teak decking starting to come loose and unattached. Has anyone replaced these strips of teak? My assumption is the teak is glued to the fiberglass hatch from below but until I remove the decking on the hatch I will not know for sure. Since I have not had to replace any other decking I am not sure what to use to fill the spaces between the teak once it is reattached. Any assistance or suggestions as how to approach this job are greatly appreciated.

I am not sure when GB started glueing the reak down versus screwing it down. Are there any plugs in the teak strips? If not it is probably glued down. As to what caulk to use between the strips, I just used Teak Deck Systems 440. It seemed to work well. They have directions on their web site.

On our 36 GB the teak for the hatch cover and flybridge landing are not screwed down (except for the framing around the parameter of the landing) I removed everything from the landing, filled any screw holes with epoxy, and re glued down with Sika Flex adhesive. It ain’t going anywhere and no screw holes. Looking back at it I would have ordered pre made decking sheets from Teak Decking Systems so as not to have had to work with the separate teak strips and caulk the seams.

https://www.teakdecking.com/

I appreciate the information and will get a quote from teak decking systems as that would make the job go faster. Thanks

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom