Grand Banks Deck lay up.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Ron T

Vessel Name
Grand Yankee
Vessel Make
1981 49' Grand Banks Classic
If anyone has done any major deck work on a glass Banks,? Would I find first the Teak plank decking material, then a layer of fibreglass material followed by marine plywood ? Then is there another layer of fiberglass or just the bottom of the plywood.?? Thank you for your knowledge.

Usually thin layer of glass then plywood. Search for Stretch Head, he has done this project on his GB.

I have a core sample from my GB32 from when I installed extra scuppers - teak, glass, plywood, glass.

I have a core sample from my GB32 from when I installed extra scuppers - teak, glass, plywood, glass.

Is this it? I can't remember where this photo was obtained. All I know is it's from a GB. Teak-glass-plywood-glass....

Attachments

• 104_0498_img_164.jpg
    104_0498_img_164.jpg
    71.6 KB · Views: 255
See if you can find an edge where you can see the deck in layers. On my IG I could see it around the aft lazarette edges, but maybe GBs are better edge finished and you can`t. Even so, take a look around. On my 1981 IG I found a foam sandwich substrate, no ply no offcut teak blocks, hope you get a good look at whatever you have.

That's it! I'm glad to see that some of my stuff survived the Bob Lowe meltdown! Thanks Giggitoni!

Notice how nice and thick the top layer of 'glass is? My boat was 32-595.

That's it! I'm glad to see that some of my stuff survived the Bob Lowe meltdown! Thanks Giggitoni!

Notice how nice and th ick the top layer of 'glass is? My boat was 32-595.

I was witness to the "melt down"! IMO, no need to agree on everything all the time. This is, after all, a boating forum. Glad I found it!

The wooden GB's have only one layer of glass.

My boat is teak/glass/plywood/glass. Its a 2006 build.
H.

Thanks you

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom