GB Roll Call

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
A few pictures of the cabinet, and a special table.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20201117-203316_Photos.jpg
    Screenshot_20201117-203316_Photos.jpg
    72 KB · Views: 60
  • 20201010_142138.jpg
    20201010_142138.jpg
    116.8 KB · Views: 52
  • 20201010_141836.jpg
    20201010_141836.jpg
    126.9 KB · Views: 50
I just found the 1st post in this thread is hull #120!!!

I have spent my whole life owning boats. From the time I came home at 10 years old with a 8 foot john boat on top of my Radio Flyer. I believe it is the individuals decision what boat to buy and in what condition it is . Just like the john boat that you had to keep moving so it wouldn't sink, my father helped me patch the holes and my mothers cousin gave me a 3 horse motor. I know the guy that sold me that boat laughed until the day he died about the little kid that bought his trash for ten bucks.
Ever since that day I have always owned a boat (or two,three) and bought fixer uppers. Have I always made money? Probably not, but I always sold them for more than I paid and never kept track of what I paid to fix them up. I don't believe in financing a boat, I am more pay as you go. I use my boats, I take them out every time I can and enjoy cruising.
My latest endeavor is a 49 Alaskan (Grand Banks) Raised Pilot House that I bought way too cheap on ebay. The difference is I went in eyes wide open. I knew this boat would have big issues and it does. It is a shame to see a piece of history deteriorate and waist away. Did I buy this boat to make money --NO! I bought it to make my last boat a beautiful piece of history. I enjoy working on a boat more than anything else. It is like therapy to me, although i swear and cuss while upside down in the Bilge busting my knuckles raw. I love to see the fruit of my efforts after years of work.
Now that you have the history I would love to post the progress of the rebuild over the next few years. The only condition is the first person that criticizes that I didn't get a survey or sea trial, you will never hear about this rebuild again. I know the rules and if you want to abide by them- so be it- that has whats given me the ability to get some great deals over my boating career . If you want to see the story of me buying this great boat check out my letter in the Bay and Delta Yachtsman December Issue. ( under anonymous )
I enjoy the Forum and it can be very informative, but sometimes opinionated.
This boat has great history from the first owners that were somewhat famous to it winning the Queen of a regatta as late as 1998. How could I let it Die?
. I'm with you. I bought my 42FT GB, HULL #125 way to cheap also. We actually laughed when we saw the add on,of all places...Facebook MARKETPLACE. We thought that the owner had left a "O"off of the price, but,since she was less than an hour away.....what the heck?
She had been damaged by a tornado that hit the marina a few years back,and was,at that time, in the middle of a refit. The only damage was on the stbd side, on the bow pulpit stainless steel rail. Also about 15ft of the top hand rail,and the gunneys (bulwark to some),around the center cleat. Nothing that a few good weeks of work couldn't fix.
So,i sold my Marinette Sedan Flybridge the very next morning to a friend that had been wanting it,and bought my baby by noon.
I heard both Detroit Diesels 4/53s run,pulled against the dock to check the trannies,and ran the genset. All good.
No "sea-trials",no "survey". Nothing. A good icepick and a good head for woodies is all an old wood boat guy needs.
Way to go!!! And,I'm with you. Any negatively, and that's it. Blocked.

Last edited:
Hi All

Figured I would try and get the ball rolling.

We own a woodie , we keep her in West Island Mass on Buzzards Bay.

Cheers

Dan.

Tortoise GB42-120*
Caballero II
1982 Classic
Santa Barbara, CA

Wow!!! Welcome. I have 42FT classic hull125!!

GB 36 Classic

Thousand Miles from Nowhere (Miley) sits behind my house in South Florida.

1982 gb 36 #670

Caballero II
1982 Classic
Santa Barbara, CA

I should have noted this is a GB 36, 1982 hull #670, fiberglass. A single engine Lehman 120, which I searched for. Now, if there were any single engine 42' or 48' GB boats in good shape out there on the West Coast, I'm interested. I want some room to work in the ER. Otherwise, I'm going to have to go to a single engine KK. I love this boat though, and won't give it up easily. I just would like some more room, especially in the ER.

GB roll call

1977 42’ classic hull#523
Seattle Wa.
Take delivery Monday or Tuesday of this coming week.

Michael

1983 49’ Classic Hull#40
Switzerland, FL.
New Boat to Us, First GB!!

Daniel & Nancy...

Rollcall

None now.

Owned a wooden 1972 32’ Sleuth 1975 - 1984, bought in Dana Point, CA and moved to our slip in Huntington Harbour. Great boat. Catalina, San Diego, Newport, Santa Barbara and the Channel Islands all in the log. She was sold in Newport Beach.

Cheers follows, a 1979 42’ Europa. Bought in Newport in 1984 the Europa was perfect for our three teenagers. Same trips, stayed longer. Sold in 1990 to an acquaintance who moved her to Port Ludlow. Renamed as Kathleen. Our favorite boat.

Just purchased "Chanterelle" a 1973 GB 32, hull number 451, fiberglass. Expecting delivery to her new home port in Prince Rupert, BC next weekend.

GB 49 classic hull #86 1990 build. great boat

Lemon Drops (not the drink)
2001 GB Europa 52-23
New to us this year, currently berthed at New London, CT

Finalised deal today so now proud owners of GB42 hull#1386, Lazaway. Located in UK.

Welcome to all of the new GB members. Enjoy those classic boats. Don’t hesitate to post pictures and document your experiences. We can all learn from each other.

Roll Call

Owned 32-021 out in the PNW when we were younger. Moved to VA in 1998 and currently own 32-322 and getting ready to list her and flying to MA on Thurs to finalize the deal on a 1989 36 GB with the popular twin Cummins engines. Yea... I kinda like GB's :smitten:

This was Calypso GB42-295

Last I heard she was rotting away in Galveston Yacht Basin after the death of her latest owner.

Attachments

• DSC00116.jpg
    DSC00116.jpg
    123 KB · Views: 33
Last I heard she was rotting away in Galveston Yacht Basin after the death of her latest owner.

What a shame! I’d love to find a wood 36 or 42 that’s in as nice of condition as our 32. I’ve had 2 wood GB’s and they’re beautiful boats. They smell good, lots of natural sound dampening and a pretty simple to work on.

GB 42-179
Inara
San Diego
Owned 4yrs now and Just gets better all the time
Yesterday cruised out late afternoon and saw dolphins

Well it seems this thread is still alive. We have Crystal Lady, 1969 42 #101.

She is solid but in need of paint and it's been a challenge to find a yard nearby who will still haul a wooden vessel, but I think we found a few within a reasonable distance. Hope to have her looking her best by early summer.

Unicorn V
GB 36CL 1981 hull #633
Berthed at Thunderbird Marina, West Vancouver, BC. We've owned her for 20 years and average +/ 250 hours cruising each year. She has 9464 engine hours on her single FL 120 and continues to start and run well.

D cole

GB42 Classic
Lan Mara
1987 #1002

Just bought this year. Harbor in Rockland, Maine
In great condition, particularly the twin Cummins and the immaculate engine room. Only big project this winter is the enclosure for the Bimini. A requirement in Maine.

Well it seems this thread is still alive. We have Crystal Lady, 1969 42 #101.

She is solid but in need of paint and it's been a challenge to find a yard nearby who will still haul a wooden vessel, but I think we found a few within a reasonable distance. Hope to have her looking her best by early summer.

Steve, Up on Sarah Creek off the York River, York River Yacht Haven and Jordan Marine will both haul wood boats if they’re in good shape.

1986 GB 42 Classic #965
Liberty
Windmill Harbor - Hilton Head Island, SC

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom