Old 05-23-2014, 09:29 AM   #1
Veteran Member

City: Friday Harbor
Vessel Name: Pandion
Vessel Model: Nordhavn 46
GB motoryacht 36 & 42 info wanted

Hi
In our on-going search for our next boat (which we think will be a Grand Banks) we have found the "motor-yacht" design which we like (even though we have not been on-board one yet). They seem to be pretty rare compared to the "classic" so we are trying to get some information about them. Does anybody know how many 36's and 42's "motor-yachts" where built? When did they start building this design? We would love to hear from owners regarding their thoughts on this lay-out. Shopping for a boat is part of the fun and we always figured that the more we know the better our final choice will be.
thanks
bcarli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2014, 11:50 AM   #2
Guru

City: Bayview
Vessel Name: Puffin
Vessel Model: Willard Vega 30
Try this site. Grand Banks Owner's Resources all GB all the time.
Old 05-23-2014, 02:10 PM   #3
Guru

City: Vallejo, California
Vessel Name: Mahalo Moi
Vessel Model: 1986 Grand Banks 42 Classic
We considered a GB motor yacht way back when. It's GBs answer to the "sundeck". I personally like to be able to completely walk around the outside deck when underway and especially in close quarters.

If you look at the inside of the aft stateroom of the motor yacht, you'll discover that the width is the same as the classic except for the upper space of the cabin. It only allows more room for your upper body and head. The cabinetry takes up the same space. It's mostly an illusion! However, it does look larger.

The loss of a complete walk-around deck is a deal breaker, IMO. Good luck!
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑβΕ
Giggitoni is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2014, 02:22 PM   #4
Guru

City: North Carolina for now
I'm pretty sure Northwest Explorations in Bellingham still has at least 1 42MY in their charter fleet. I have to disagree a little bit with Ray; at least on the 49MY we once chartered in SW FL, you still had walk around capability (something we really perfer too), you just went up a step or two. The MY also wipes out the cockpit (an issue for many) and so the MSR gains that space too. The MSR on the 49MY was quite noticeably bigger than on the 49 Classic we used to charter in the PNW, and it picked up a day head too. I have not cruised a 42 classic and MY, but have been aboard each and other than the day head, have the same observation.

"There's the Right Way, the Wrong Way, and what some guy says he's gotten away with"
caltexflanc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2014, 10:46 AM   #5

City: Hampton Bays, N.Y.
Vessel Name: Grand Yankee
Vessel Model: 1981 49' Grand Banks Classic
Try Julee Jackson 866-771-6918 John Shannahan 410 924 3258 Chuck Grice 757 482 6630
Ron T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2014, 08:42 AM   #6
Veteran Member

City: Friday Harbor
Vessel Name: Pandion
Vessel Model: Nordhavn 46
Hi Ron
Can you tell me who these people are that you suggest I call?
thanks
bcarli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2014, 12:46 PM   #7
Guru

City: Sarasota/Ft. Lauderdale
I managed a charter company for 15 years that chartered GBs and I owned a 42' MY style GB for several years. Personally I like the MY style over the classic for a live aboard. As George mentioned you can still walk all around the MY style you just go up or down 3 steps to do so. No big deal.

I would recommend you charter a few boats before you buy to see what fits your likes and dislikes. Jung charters here in Sarasota has a 42' GB MY they charter.
Capt.Bill11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2014, 05:19 PM   #8

City: Hampton Bays, N.Y.
Vessel Name: Grand Yankee
Vessel Model: 1981 49' Grand Banks Classic
Hi Again; John Shannahan is President of the Grand Banks Chesapeake Bay G,B Club. Was a GB dealer and runs a nice yard on the east side of the Bay. Julee Jackson has sold more GBs vessels on the east coast then are in The Great PNW. She was with Hal Jones for years. Chuck Grice has a brokerage office at Atlantic Yacht Basin and maintains a large library of all well built vessels. So many of the old timers from GB are no longer on the docks.
Ron T is offline   Reply With Quote