Old 01-21-2013, 05:19 PM   #1

City: Seattle
Vessel Name: M.V. PATRIOT
Vessel Model: 1972 55 FOOT GRAND BANKS ALASKAN 3160 cats trade info advise and help on bot
GB Alaskan

Looking at a 55 GB Alaskan, 1972 cats 3160, in the PH there is a raw diesal smell, it is not in the engine room nor anywhere else for that matter,, anyone farmiluar with this model not only this smell issue but the quirks of it, common places leaks are found, ect ect, I have lived-aboard for 16 years on the same boat 40ft wood hull glass house know this one in and out but starting blank on any other boat. Thank you for any help offered
ninelivezzz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2013, 05:26 PM   #2

Vessel Name: Dear Prudence
Vessel Model: Eagle 40
Quote:
Originally Posted by ninelivezzz View Post
Looking at a 55 GB Alaskan, 1972 cats 3160, in the PH there is a raw diesal smell, it is not in the engine room nor anywhere else for that matter,, anyone farmiluar with this model not only this smell issue but the quirks of it, common places leaks are found, ect ect, I have lived-aboard for 16 years on the same boat 40ft wood hull glass house know this one in and out but starting blank on any other boat. Thank you for any help offered

Anything use diesel besides the engines and gen set? Dickenson stove, Webasto furnace, or what not? A line routed in the vicinity might account for a diesel leak near the pilothouse that isn't evident in the engine room.

You've got a really educated nose.

Raw diesel is one of those smells that tends to permeate an entire boat, so it's your relative good luck if it's isolated in the pilothouse.

One more thing to check; is the smell coming from a seat cushion, carpet, (or similar) that has been exposed to diesel in the past?
Chuck Gould is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2013, 05:44 PM   #3

Vessel Name: M.V. PATRIOT
Vessel Model: 1972 55 FOOT GRAND BANKS ALASKAN 3160 cats trade info advise and help on bot
Thank yioiu for kick'n in, there is nothing in the pilothouse that has diesal and it just isnto anywhere else the existing owner/seller says he has checked and found nothing, he lived with it for two years,, and it is limited to PH the no carpets up there at this time, I will have to get on my knees and smell around,, I dont know anything about tanks, but onwer said they are black iron wondering if the tops could be rusted and venting fumes or problem with hose connection spillage,,, just guessing with the owner now,,, again friend thank yoiu(s)
ninelivezzz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2013, 06:07 PM   #4
Guru

City: Beaverton, Ontario
Vessel Name: Looking Glass
Vessel Model: Carver 370 Voyager
The fuel tanks would be my first guess as well. You say you are just looking at it. Hope you are going to get a GOOD survey if your serious and this should be able to identify the issue and more importantly the potential cost to rectify. Good luck.
Old 01-21-2013, 06:38 PM   #5
Scraping Paint

City: -
The next thing you should do is join the GB owners forums and ask your questions there. There are members who have Alaskans as well as shipwrights and ex-yard owners who have worked on them for many, many years.

There are two GB owners forums, both with their own set of experts. The two most knowledgeable are Bob Lowe and Mike Negley.

Bob is on the independent forum, Grand Banks Owner's Resources The forum is under the heading "Discussion Board."

Mike is on the GB-sponsored forum, Grand Banks Discussion Forum :: Index

If you want to know anything about GBs, those are the two places to ask.
Marin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2013, 06:56 PM   #6
Guru

City: La Conner Wa.
Vessel Name: Sea Fever
Vessel Model: Defever 49 RPH
Is there a fuel pressure gauge at the helm? My Defever has them and they are fed by copper fuel lines from the engines. Also I have a fuel tank under the pilot house settee.
Russell Clifton is offline   Reply With Quote