GB 32 1978 remove teak deck and fuel tank, thoughts?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

tapinkham

Hi,

Has anyone had experience with removing teak decks from a GB 32 or similar?
The teak is shot and I will not know the condition of the decking below without removing the teak.
Fuel tank shows extensive corrosion. Oy.
Tim

PS I have been trying to get on grandbanksowners.com for two days now...no luck.

The link to the GB website is IAGBO :: Index but they (we as a GB owner) have had an issue with access recently, seems intermittant. There is a fair amount of info on decks. A friend of ours had his decks replaced with FRP and non skid, 1981 boat. It was done by OYA in Oxford. Generally, remove the bungs and screws then the teak, fill the screw holes with epoxy, sand, lay a new layer of glass and paint. I am assuming your boat is glass and not wood. The removal process will show if there is damage to the core of the deck; if there is, it's not the end of the world but maybe your wallet.

Why are the decks shot? Is it just bungs, Sikaflex (the black stuff) or both? The teak on the decks is pretty hardy so unless it is cracked, broken, missing or you just don't like it it usually can be saved.

Is your tank corrosion on the surface or clear through? Before any hasty decisions it would be a good idea to take a look inside and asses the situation. On a 32 the tank fills are a straight shot down so one of those flexible cameras at Home Depot will allow you to take a look at the inside and see what is really going on.

Just my opinions, your decisions are yours to make.

Regards,
Bob

At age 38, teak decks will be getting pretty thin. With a whole lot of niggling hard work (I did it on my 32) you can get a few more years but eventually there is nothing left to work with.

Hello and thanks for the continued support!
The teak is worn away by half and has this awful black stuff on it? Sikaflex? Yuck.
I have no problem with taking it apart, it looks like hell any way. Plus I suspect there is damage below the teak.
I think it is at the point where "there is nothing left to work with." Xsbank
Bob, I am so sorry I just saw your reply. I actually backed out on the deal as I thought I had to come up with another $10,000 for new tanks.
Will rethink this whole tank issue as you point out it may be a non-issue. Sheesh!
Tim

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom