engine room paint

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

kevp56

What's the best - or at least the best spec - paint for use in the engine room? Also, what is a good replacement for the sound baffling in the ceiling; I think ours is original (1973) and is totally rotten old 'egg-box' sponge?

Any guidance welcome...

I have had good success with Interlux Bilge Coat. You can use a 2 part polyurethane but it is a lot more work and expense. I usually do 2 coats. It has held up well and is easy to clean.

Jamestown Distributors has their own brand (Total Boat) bilge coat. We've used it and so far we've been happy with it.

I used bilge coat successfully. Oil Based paint, IMO, is similar to any old oil or diesel film remaining so that adhesion is not a problem.

I used a polyester flowcoat when I recoated mine after doing some work on stringers and engine mounts. It gives a very thick, strong coating, but it is a fairly flat finish rather than glossy like polyurethane.

Lead sheeting works the best for soundproofing. Foam (on the outside) also works really well.
In an 80' steel commercial boat with blown in foam (sealed in with fiberglass) with the main engine and 3 other diesels running, while in the crew area, I could not hear the engines at all. The only indication of machinery was a slight vibration in the galley table. Engine room was directly below the galley.

Back
Top Bottom