Old 02-02-2014, 04:33 PM   #1

City: Millbrae
Coolant loss

We have a 1974 G.B. with a John Deer Ammera 404. After running the engine the coolant go down after awhile. No coolant in the hull, or the oil. Put food color in the coolant system to see if was going into the sea water, but none in sight. Put a pressure tester on the system and the pressure goes down after awhile. Next we will put dye in the cooling system and check with a ultra violent light to see if there is any trace in the seawater. Then pull the side cover from the heat exchanger and check for traces of dye in there. Any ideas? Thanks, Ed.
Speced is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2014, 05:39 PM   #2
Guru

City: Stuart FL
Vessel Name: Lucky Lucky
Vessel Model: Pacific Mariner 65
Make sure the coolant fill cap is sealing properly. Be sure the rim on the fill is clean. Be sure the cap is the correct one/pressure rating. Good luck.
hmason is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2014, 05:44 PM   #3
Dauntless Award

City: Wrangell, Alaska
Vessel Name: Dauntless
Vessel Model: Kadey Krogen 42 - 148
Quote:
Originally Posted by Speced View Post
We have a 1974 G.B. with a John Deer Ammera 404. After running the engine the coolant go down after awhile. No coolant in the hull, or the oil. Put food color in the coolant system to see if was going into the sea water, but none in sight. Put a pressure tester on the system and the pressure goes down after awhile. Next we will put dye in the cooling system and check with a ultra violent light to see if there is any trace in the seawater. Then pull the side cover from the heat exchanger and check for traces of dye in there. Any ideas? Thanks, Ed.
Sorry to say it sounds like your head gasket. That's the only place it could go (being combusted) so that you see no trace.

Do a compression check.
Good Luck

a Kadey Krogen 42 currently: https://share.garmin.com/dauntless
Blog:
https://dauntlessatsea.com
Wxx3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2014, 05:51 PM   #4
Guru

City: Pensacola
Check your exhaust. If you have a heat exchanger, it could be bad.
Blue Heron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2014, 05:52 PM   #5
Guru

City: Pensacola
It's not always a head gasket or cracked head problem. Start easy and work up.
Blue Heron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2014, 06:36 AM   #6
Guru

City: Vermont
Does it have a turbo? On some of the bigger Deeres the turbo flange gasket tends to develop leaks resulting in symptoms like you describe.
Old 02-03-2014, 09:09 AM   #7

The cap is a new 13 pound cap. It should have between 6.5 to7.5, but no one has one. I don't think it's a head gasket because it isn't building up pressure infact it's loseing pressure. I'm going with the test for the heat exchanger and hope for the best. Thanks
Old 02-03-2014, 10:10 AM   #8
Guru

City: Cape Cod, MA
Vessel Name: Island Seeker
Vessel Model: Willard 36 Sedan
I hope it is just your heat exchanger and not head gasket. I don't think you would ever see dye color in exhaust water, there's just too much volume. Please get the correct pressure cap, 4 or 7 lbs, you can get them online, and do your system a favor. If you dont have an overflow reservoir, coolant will be forced out to a certain level the first time you run after filling and then stay there. this is fine and the way older engines were made to operate. Back in the day, when you checked your coolant in your car/boat, if you could touch it w/ your finger, it was fine. If you added more, it just came out the overflow and repeated addings just diluted your AF . So if you don't have an overflow tank, don't expect the coolant to remain tip top.
Brooksie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2014, 10:21 AM   #9
Scraping Paint

City: Fort Lauderdale
Vessel Model: CHB 48 Zodiac YL 4.2
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brooksie View Post
I hope it is just your heat exchanger and not head gasket. I don't think you would ever see dye color in exhaust water, there's just too much volume.
If you use a flourescein dye, mixed well with the coolant, then pressurized for several minutes while the enigne is warm but not running, a sample drained from the raw water side of the heat exchanger should indicate a leak if one is present.
RickB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2014, 10:41 AM   #10
Guru

City: Cape Cod, MA
Vessel Name: Island Seeker
Vessel Model: Willard 36 Sedan
Quote:
Originally Posted by RickB View Post
If you use a flourescein dye, mixed well with the coolant, then pressurized for several minutes while the enigne is warm but not running, a sample drained from the raw water side of the heat exchanger should indicate a leak if one is present.
Good idea. That reminds me, there is a test kit for combustion products in the coolant also.
Brooksie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2014, 10:58 AM   #11

Yes we have an recovery bottle and I have access to the dye for checking carbon in the coolent system but pressure would build up in the coolent system if a head gasket was bad. Thanks guys. Ed
Old 02-07-2014, 07:23 PM   #12
Veteran Member

City: Morehead City, NC
Vessel Name: Grande Jete`
Vessel Model: 1990 Grand Banks 46 Classic
Have you noticed any brown smoke in the exhaust when running close to WOT? Coolant in combustion can often show up as brown smoke. Just another thing to check
Seaisleman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2014, 05:40 AM   #13

Quote:
Yes we have an recovery bottle...
I was losing coolant as evidenced by the need to add more to my recovery bottle. Turns out the hose from the bottle to the engine had dry rotted and the coolant was dripping on the hot engine and evaporating. . Simple fix once it was discovered.

Dave
Old 05-28-2014, 09:41 AM   #14
TF Site Team

City: Paris,TN
Vessel Name: Slo-Poke
Vessel Model: Jorgensen custom 44
I'm getting coolent out the overflow on manicooler on Perkins 6.354m .The books shows two differnt size caps a 7lb and 14lb . Which cap should I get ?
Pack Mule is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2014, 09:50 AM   #15

Vessel Name: " Supertramp "
Vessel Model: Marine Trader Widebody 50 feet
Quote:
Check your heatexchanger ( intercooler ) and the waterheater ( when the engine heat this Waterheater and the hotwater smells ) for leaks.
Old 05-28-2014, 10:14 AM   #16

Coolent loss.

after all the testing we replaced the cap with a propper size 6# cap and after extensive boating the cap seems to have fixed the problem. Thanks one and all for all your idea's. Speced
Old 05-29-2014, 01:51 PM   #17
Guru

City: North Charleston, SC
Quote:
after all the testing we replaced the cap with a propper size 6# cap and after extensive boating the cap seems to have fixed the problem. Thanks one and all for all your idea's. Speced
Yep, if it worked fine and then you used the wrong cap and it started losing coolant, installing the correct cap would be the first step in troubleshooting.

Trouble shooting is simply a process of logical thinking.
rwidman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2014, 02:17 PM   #18
TF Site Team

City: Paris,TN
Vessel Name: Slo-Poke
Vessel Model: Jorgensen custom 44
I positive I've got a bad cap also . I'm getting a new one today .
Pack Mule is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2014, 06:18 PM   #19
Guru

City: Tuckerton, NJ
Vessel Name: WIRELESS ONE
Vessel Model: 36 Gulstar MarkII
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pack Mule View Post
I'm getting coolent out the overflow on manicooler on Perkins 6.354m .The books shows two differnt size caps a 7lb and 14lb . Which cap should I get ?
Different engines but my Perkins 4.154M call for 7lb caps. I have no coolant recovery bottles. The coolers have no provision for them.
I called TAD Inc to verify.
Bill
Billylll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2014, 06:19 PM   #20
Guru

City: Tuckerton, NJ
Vessel Name: WIRELESS ONE
Vessel Model: 36 Gulstar MarkII
Quote:
Originally Posted by rwidman View Post
Yep, if it worked fine and then you used the wrong cap and it started losing coolant, installing the correct cap would be the first step in troubleshooting.

Trouble shooting is simply a process of logical thinking.
Ron you don't suggest the shotgun method of troubleshooting?
Bill
Billylll is offline   Reply With Quote