Old 07-06-2014, 04:05 PM   #21
Guru

City: Pender Harbour, BC
Vessel Name: Gwaii Haanas
Vessel Model: Vancouver Shipyards Custom Aluminum 52
A grain of salt brings down many towers!

Old 07-06-2014, 06:58 PM   #22
Guru

City: Vashon Island, WA
Vessel Name: Island Breeze
Vessel Model: 1974 Grand Banks 36-427
Send a message via Skype™ to kolive
Sorry to hear about being shunned. I appreciated your posts and loved the boat you bought. I looked at it every time I was in cow bay.

The site is hard for me to access now if I am not at home. Odd.

Love the info there and hope others don't drop out because of this. I avoid Dock Talk now because of this, and I do not usually participate in political discussions because of the volatility associated with them.

kolive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2014, 07:30 PM   #23
Guru

City: Vallejo, California
Vessel Name: Mahalo Moi
Vessel Model: 1986 Grand Banks 42 Classic
I remember a time when we could discuss our different views on politics, religion, etc. Now I've learned to stay quiet most of the time. Sad.

I lean right, Ken leans left...so what? We certainly aren't going to change the world one way or the other. What has changed is the way people treat each other. Almost with a hatred that boarders on scary! The nature of the internet, I suppose.
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑβΕ
Giggitoni is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2014, 07:54 PM   #24
Guru

Actually, I can't remember which way I lean politically but since my knee op I have a slight list to starboard, usually correctable by drugs or alcohol. My boat has its galley, workbench, head and Captain's Cabin all on the port side, hence a slight list to the left, which I intend to correct by only letting guests sleep on the starboard side.

I feel somewhat like how a telemarketer must feel when the victim doesn't like the pitch so he hangs up on you. I would never compare my plight to anything as serious as J.D. Salinger or D.H. Lawrence. Jennifer Lawrence, maybe. Wait....
Old 07-06-2014, 08:00 PM   #25
Guru

Keith, thanks for the boat compliment, I'm somewhat less enamoured by her since I tried to clean the rust stains with acid and ended up in the Sechelt hospital half a day, spent the month replacing the fibreglass-wrapped exhaust, changed all the poop hoses and now the toilet, found moisture in the ceiling from a leaking hatch and ripped the whole ceiling down, had 20 zincs welded to her bottom, rebuilt the hydraulics... but now she floats and runs and toots (had to fix the horn); the guest accommodation is less like a logging camp and more like a hostel and we have the mother of all coffee makers on board so life is good. All I need is some garden furniture for the top deck so I have an alternative to my hammock and I will be a happy man.
Old 07-06-2014, 08:13 PM   #26
Guru

Wow, that is a bit of work you've done. I just loved her lines and she looks like such a nice vessel for our waters. I hope to run into you out there sometime and get a tour of her so I can see what she really looks like.
Old 07-06-2014, 08:19 PM   #27
Guru

You mean add another dent or raft up and share a beaker of wine? I'd like that, in fact any GB owner can take a run at us, we have coffee!
Old 07-06-2014, 08:30 PM   #28
Guru

Lol, no dents intended, but the wine sounds fine to me. We are headed up to the Gulf Islands in August to hang out for a couple of weeks.
Old 07-06-2014, 08:54 PM   #29
Guru

We may be in Pendrell then, really not sure how far to wander, we are going to sneak up on cruising this year, to make sure the lump is sound. We might get to the Gulf Islands but there's usually too many people there in the summer. Fall is better.
Old 07-06-2014, 09:03 PM   #30
Guru

Agree on the fall and spring cruising, lack of people out and about. But, the wife is not retired yet so we do what we can. We tend to stay away from e crowds regardless. Had a great time in Degnen Bay last year and walked to the petroglyphs. Ended up writing a short Halloween story about the stay there and all the derelict boats. Kind of a Zombie thing....
Old 07-09-2014, 07:48 PM   #31
Guru

Myself and a couple of my friends have been banned from the GB site for daring to criticize Bob Lowe. He has locked out our IP addresses so we can't even see the site. None of this has anything to do with our contributions to the use and maintenance of Grand Banks boats. My contribution was over 2500 posts, most of which I feel contributed positively to the community. I was banned solely for being critical and responding with incredulity to the (IMHO) crazy assertions made on the Dock Talk/off topic section by Bob Lowe.

We did not break any rules nor otherwise compromise the integrity of the site, we merely contradicted Bob Lowe. He has done all this stealthily, claiming on the site that it had been hacked, and he has not announced our banning, conducting the process entirely undercover.

I also made a financial contribution to the site which went directly into his pocket. I regret that.

I protest in advance any attempts to sully my name and reputation, I have been told that this is his next step in his process to discredit us. There are lots of vindictive, paranoid and unpleasant people on this planet; I just did not expect to find one amongst my friends on the GB site.

I apologize for this rant, I feel a strong need to stand up for myself and the other forum has been denied to me.
Old 07-09-2014, 08:13 PM   #32
Guru

City: Sidney BC
Vessel Name: Rochepoint
Vessel Model: 1985 Cheer Men PT38 Sedan
I have noticed the GB site has been very hit and miss for a long time now...........
"Yes, I have the right anchor"
rochepoint is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2014, 08:34 PM   #33
Guru

City: Vallejo, California
Vessel Name: Mahalo Moi
Vessel Model: 1986 Grand Banks 42 Classic
Quote:
Originally Posted by Xsbank View Post
Myself and a couple of my friends have been banned from the GB site for daring to criticize Bob Lowe. He has locked out our IP addresses so we can't even see the site. None of this has anything to do with our contributions to the use and maintenance of Grand Banks boats. My contribution was over 2500 posts, most of which I feel contributed positively to the community. I was banned solely for being critical and responding with incredulity to the (IMHO) crazy assertions made on the Dock Talk/off topic section by Bob Lowe.

We did not break any rules nor otherwise compromise the integrity of the site, we merely contradicted Bob Lowe. He has done all this stealthily, claiming on the site that it had been hacked, and he has not announced our banning, conducting the process entirely undercover.

I also made a financial contribution to the site which went directly into his pocket. I regret that.

I protest in advance any attempts to sully my name and reputation, I have been told that this is his next step in his process to discredit us. There are lots of vindictive, paranoid and unpleasant people on this planet; I just did not expect to find one amongst my friends on the GB site.

I apologize for this rant, I feel a strong need to stand up for myself and the other forum has been denied to me.
I was wondering what happened to you! Too bad. Your contributions to the GB Owner's forums were appreciated, at least by me. I guess I'll continue to pull information from the site as well as from Mike Negley from the Beacon. Two heads full of experience for boat feeding and maintenance but maybe not so much on a personal level. Again, too bad...
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑβΕ
Giggitoni is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2014, 10:50 PM   #34
Guru

Thanks Ray and Mike, appreciate your support. Agree about Mike Negley, knowledgeable and normal!
Old 07-10-2014, 03:02 AM   #35
Guru

So sorry to hear that.
Old 07-13-2014, 02:06 PM   #36

City: Safety Harbor
Vessel Name: Yankee Peddler
Vessel Model: Grand Banks Eastbay
GB Becon

This is Mike Negley advising that the GB Beacon is now operating again. Sorry for the many and sometimes long periods of non-operation. Sometime ago Grand Banks outsourced all their IT operation and no one remembered there was a GB Beacon website and whomever had the administration rights had disappeared. Tony and I are now trying to find a new person to administer the site and I think we have one. I will continue to post and invite anyone to participate. We miss you.
Mike
Mike Negley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2014, 02:25 PM   #37
Guru

Good news, I wish you all success. I hope that many of the posters on the "other" site will see the light and make the change too.

"...to all those who sail in her..."
Old 08-24-2014, 09:53 AM   #38

City: KEMAH, TEXAS
Vessel Name: BRILLIANT
Vessel Model: 1986 GRAND BANKS 32
Can not access the old GB owners web site

There was, until recently, a web site for GB owners:

IAGBO :: Index

Now when I try to access it, it will not display. The old web site, "Grand Banks Beacon" and Mike's GB discussion group are still there.

Anyone else having access problems? Are they gone? Changed their web address?
GREGGWESTERFIELD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2014, 11:10 AM   #39

I'm still having problems getting on the IAGBO site. I'd sent an email to Bob Lowe a week or so ago. He said they were having no known problems, suggested that I clear my caches. I did that, but still can't get on. I end up with a "timed out" message.

Seguin, GB32-126
thugger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2014, 11:24 AM   #40
Guru

Everything is working fine for me this morning on both GB sites.