60 foot Grand Banks

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Al

Guru
Vessel Name
'SLO'~BELLE
Vessel Make
1978 Marben-27' Flybridge Trawler(extended to 30 feet) Pilothouse Pocket Cruiser[
Al.....That GB looks like you! When you pull into your place at Naha Bay, you will turn heads!:D

Al.....That GB looks like you! When you pull into your place at Naha Bay, you will turn heads!:D

Not likely Ken, I am a subscriber by Grand Banks personnel who visited my first boat. I am not able or skilled enough to post photos so bear with me. Our first boat, a converted 28' harbor tug, was modeled after the original American Marine "Spray". The designer of our boat was Ken Smith who designed the 36' 'Spray' .

Our boat was one of five constructed,off of Ken's plans, four on the East coast of which we were not able to locate other than the mention. Ours was built in Lake Union 1960.

The Grand Banks folks were among the travelers of the fleet of chartered Grand Banks that travel each year into South East Alaska. The found me in Wrangell and connected the visual of our boat with the 'Spray'. Great time conversing. As a result, I receive occasional propaganda from the firm.

Sad to say, following the sale of our boat to a unknowing soul from Kansas who had little ability to recognize the necessity of maintenance with a wood boat, sold it and the disrepair down hill travels began in earnest.

Your travel plans to our area remain in place? This Spring? I am not sure I recall, were you and Tom "Alaska Destruction":rofl: joining up at some point. That is assuming Tom is planning on another venture North. Fun couple to travel with I would think.

Al-Ketchikan

Al....Yes, passing through Ketchikan in May and will operate out of Sitka over the summer. I'll let you know when we're passing through your area. I think Tom and the ASD gang are staying on the Columbia River this summer. Crusty on Pairadice as well, last I heard.

Thanks for the interesting history of GB and of your first boat. I think the GB flotilla you met in Wrangell was probably Northwest Explorations out of Bellingham, where I live. Your boat would certainly get their attention.:thumb:

Looks very "Palm Beach meets Eastbay".

27 knots cruising speed?! That's too fast for me (and I'm not that old!). But I'm sure I could live with it. Can someone please buy me one?? Thanks

27 knots cruising speed?! That's too fast for me (and I'm not that old!). But I'm sure I could live with it. Can someone please buy me one?? Thanks

Gotta be 50+ GPH at that speed. That'll buy a LOT of plane tickets.

Greetings,
I may have missed it but what is the price for this vessel? I know, I know. If you have to ask....

Don't worry. They'll come up short of the speeds shown with it loaded at all. They supposedly took orders long long long ago, be glad when one is actually on the water. Clearly a new line of boats built on the Palm Beach methods and values. Not going for trawler or trawler type boats. Not sure who their competition is. Maybe a new niche. Pullman berths is certainly an interesting twist.

Their next boat is to be a 52. They intend to introduce it by the end of 2018.

Btw, nobody mentioned the pricetag. How many millions will this baby set her new owner back???

Btw, nobody mentioned the pricetag. How many millions will this baby set her new owner back???

Something just over $3 million is what I've heard on the 60. If that's the case then that would be more than a Hatteras 60, in the range of a Sunseeker 66 or Princess 62. Hopefully, those were quoted prices and the real prices came in under $3 million.

Pricing? I seem to recall $4m, but that might have been A$, and maybe for the boat discussed in the thread below which had optional 900HP D13's and shaft drive rather than IPS, and claimed 35kn at WOT.

http://www.trawlerforum.com/forums/s15/new-grand-banks-60-a-32136.html

Seems to be GB styled superstructure on a Palm Beach hull. Some like it, some don't. I could live with it just fine! But for the money there could be some other very nice boats out there too.

Last edited:
Palm Beach were not cheap, and they hold value in the second hand market. From what I`ve seen they appear to resell readily. But this boat at this price is in an very different category.
GB/PB had to do something to save the brand, it will be interesting to see if this design "modernization" achieves that.

I haven't seen the boat in person as it's not hit the US yet. However, I thought I'd offer some comments based on what I do know about it.

Speed-Definitely not a trawler. Trying to appeal to Palm Beach types who want to cruise. Interesting that while over 2/3 of GB's business is in the US, none of the first three were sold in the US. I like the speed. It's what we had and enjoyed in our Sunseeker.

Bow-definitely missing the trend by not having any seating on the bow when they're plenty of room. GB's had nice Portuguese bridges and I wish this one did.

Engines. Volvo shaft or IPS but Volvo all the way. Wouldn't bother me but will bother a lot of people, especially in the US. Still, if they like the boat, they'll buy.

Open and Enclosed bridges. Very smart as a lot of people feel strongly toward each option.

Forward or Aft Galley. Aft galleys are taking off in Europe so I guess smart move.

Dinghy space on bridge. I love vs. on swim platform.

Staterooms. Master is nice but tight. Very nice VIP and ok third stateroom. However, a couple of twists. The pullman berths in the VIP just add beds. A couple with two kids, may be used. Now I think they offer without them but with storage instead.

Range-Applause. They've taken the anti-European route and given it tremendous range at economy cruising speeds, 2500 nm at 10 knots. I would love to find out it's seaworthiness.

Two helms. Again, I like. Some might not. I imagine you can get the enclosed upper and forego the lower.

I like the design, just haven't seen it proven yet. The fact I do like it though means that for a good percentage of the people here it doesn't fit. However, we found when we checked that there are a large number here who will like the speed.

I think there's a need for a boat like it. Beneteau better get a 60' Swift Trawler going. This could be a great Loop boat. I like the 4'7" draft on the shaft model. I find it difficult to believe 3'11" on IPS as I've never seen IPS less than shaft, much less 8" less so I'll wait to see that.

Now, I say there's a niche for it, but not sure they're capable of pulling it off and creating the demand. They're still struggling to pull it all together as a company. Sales are flat. Profit is basically break even. All the factory and design improvements they talk about haven't yet translated to bottom line or even to gross margin.

Palm Beach were not cheap, and they hold value in the second hand market. From what I`ve seen they appear to resell readily. But this boat at this price is in an very different category.
GB/PB had to do something to save the brand, it will be interesting to see if this design "modernization" achieves that.

I think the ones that have sold have sold to Palm Beach type customers.

Al....Yes, passing through Ketchikan in May and will operate out of Sitka over the summer. I'll let you know when we're passing through your area. I think Tom and the ASD gang are staying on the Columbia River this summer. Crusty on Pairadice as well, last I heard.

Thanks for the interesting history of GB and of your first boat. I think the GB flotilla you met in Wrangell was probably Northwest Explorations out of Bellingham, where I live. Your boat would certainly get their attention.:thumb:

Al, she sure is pretty!! Thanks for sharing. I've always been partial the Alaskan GBs.

Ken is correct that Kay and I with John and Tracey will be staying on the Columbia this summer. For ASD we have court stuff going on with the dock incident last summer. John wants to go up river through the locks to Lewiston ID. Looks like we may get to go too, but wait and see.

Back
Top Bottom