Old 11-24-2019, 02:27 PM   #1

City: Lagrange, IL
Vessel Name: Moondance
Vessel Model: Grand Banks CL 42
42 Grand banks Classic fly bridge seating

In my continued search for a nice 42CL l notice that the newer boats (1995 and up) have an extra L shaped seat along with a teak table behind the captains chair, stb side. I like the extra seating that seems like it is not found on 80's boat's. I wonder if you could add this option to an 80's boat and if it would be available from Grand Banks? Anyone done this? I know you can probably add aftermarket seats, I just hate to add non-standard stuff to a boat.
Pat T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2019, 05:02 AM   #2
Guru

City: Jupiter, Florida
Vessel Name: Black Eyed Susan
Vessel Model: Grand Banks 42' Classic
I have an '87 and have been searching for the same as well as a table. The table is the easy part but I haven't found anything for the L shape seating. I have looked at the two well known marine liquidators in my area (southeast Florida) without luck. Have also searched for a new unit online but all I can find is pontoon boat seating which...well.. doesn't match too well.

I thought about building my own out of teak but would prefer to not add that much weight on the FB. Really want a fiberglass unit like you mention. I have no fiberglass skills at all and that seating doesn't appear to be the place to start learning.

If you find something please post!
firstbase is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2019, 06:12 AM   #3
Guru

City: Bethesda, MD
Vessel Name: Solstice
Vessel Model: Grand Banks 47 Eastbay FB
Quote:
Originally Posted by firstbase View Post
I thought about building my own out of teak but would prefer to not add that much weight on the FB. Really want a fiberglass unit like you mention.
If weight is a concern, fiberglass isn't necessarily going to be any lighter. At least not if it's built the way GB constructed the L bench on my EB47. The lids they built for the seats are quite heavy, along with the teak grates inside.
Old 11-26-2019, 08:59 AM   #4
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by wkearney99 View Post
If weight is a concern, fiberglass isn't necessarily going to be any lighter. At least not if it's built the way GB constructed the L bench on my EB47. The lids they built for the seats are quite heavy, along with the teak grates inside.
Thanks. Not using any real data on this but thinking off the top of my head that the teak would be heavier. Maybe 1/4" panels on a frame? Not sure. Also not sure how to get it up there. Might be easier to wait until I pull the boat for a bottom job, use the dinghy davit to get it up on the boat. Or build and reassemble in place. Don't really know. What I do know is the wife keeps talking about it.
Old 11-26-2019, 10:17 AM   #5
Guru

A point to consider when shopping for boats, if you want a feature... get a boat that has that feature. Adding features is often more complicated and expensive than if you'd just found a boat with it already.

I speak of this in broad terms. There are no doubt a ton of little things (and even some big things) that can OF COURSE be added to any boat. But somethings are designed-in and bring along a host of other "little things" that can complicate matters.

A settee like that brings along some questions. First about the decking. Removing/changing anything extant might expose underlying issues. Not that you wouldn't to know about such issues, just that a 'simple addition' exposing potential repairs adds cost AND delays. Other questions come up like drainage, any that are up there already... how would they be affected? Would the added weight introduce any new list, requiring an offsetting weight on the opposite side? Then there's the expense of designing and adding cushions, and a cover for it. This turns it into a labor intensive project, one that will undoubtedly take longer than expected.

But don't let me talk you out of it, rather keep the idea of buying a boat that already has what THE WIFE says she wants.
Old 11-26-2019, 10:19 AM   #6
Guru

As for finding such a thing, I've seen various manufacturers at Florida boat shows that offer a wide range of fiberglass options. I have to think this isn't "unique enough" that something new couldn't be adapted for it. It would, of course, depend entirely on how 'factory' you wanted it to look. There's a lot of seating options for center console and pontoon boats.

I suppose it would depend on how much you care about it looking like a factory job.
Old 11-26-2019, 10:46 AM   #7
Guru

Agree on all of the above. Being it was our first trawler we didn't realize that we would wnat that type of seating and table. No used boat purchase is perfect of course, no way to put a check in every box even if we realized the box was needed. Lower hour, impeccably cared, for engines on a "northern" GB42-49 boat outranked just about everything for us. At least that's where we started.

If you have links to companies that have nice seating I would appreciate them. As I mentioned, I have found the pontoon type settees but don't want the overpadded stuff they have available. In the end, we have nice chairs and I could add a table without too much concern. Just thinking a settee with its storage would be better.
Old 11-27-2019, 06:30 AM   #8
Guru

A related question for anyone with a settee, how is your fastened to keep it in place? I have original teak decks in good shape but would prefer not drilling holes in them. A neccesity for a permanent table though. For the seating not sure...maybe I could fasten to the fiberglass lip that surround the flybridge? How did GB install?
Old 11-27-2019, 06:48 AM   #9
Guru

Quote:
If you have links to companies that have nice seating I would appreciate them. As I mentioned, I have found the pontoon type settees but don't want the overpadded stuff they have available. In the end, we have nice chairs and I could add a table without too much concern. Just thinking a settee with its storage would be better.
I'll keep an eye out. One place to start might be checking the vendor listings for the Florida boat shows. FLIBS and Palm Beach are two where I'm certain I saw vendors that made items like this.
Old 11-27-2019, 07:23 AM   #10
Guru

Quote:
A related question for anyone with a settee, how is your fastened to keep it in place? I have original teak decks in good shape but would prefer not drilling holes in them. A neccesity for a permanent table though. For the seating not sure...maybe I could fasten to the fiberglass lip that surround the flybridge? How did GB install?
I don't know if it's recommended to install something tight on top of the teak. That seems like it's asking for trouble with moisture getting trapped under there.
Old 11-27-2019, 07:42 AM   #11
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by wkearney99 View Post
I don't know if it's recommended to install something tight on top of the teak. That seems like it's asking for trouble with moisture getting trapped under there.
Agree. Never paid much attention to other boats with this seating so not sure how they are attache or if they are elevated in some way. Would the simple weight and items stored inside be enough to keep it in place? Maybe attach to the sides like I mentioned would be enough to prevent shifting when waked by a big sportfish.

Been searching again this morning. Finding all of the over padded, maroon and blue striped, pontoon seating you can shake a stick at. Just need the simple fiberglass base that will take cushions of my choice. I will check out the boat show related vendors mentioned above. Just not finding the right website for some reason as this has to be out there somewhere.
Old 11-27-2019, 07:45 AM   #12
Enigma

City: Slicker?
Greetings,
Mr. fb. I had a response typed up and pushed the wrong button...

Bottom line of my lost composition was: Keep the current set up (movable chairs and table). You think too much.

Old 11-27-2019, 09:30 AM   #13
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by RT Firefly View Post
Greetings,
Mr. fb. I had a response typed up and pushed the wrong button...

Bottom line of my lost composition was: Keep the current set up (movable chairs and table). You think too much.

Thanks RT. I am torn between:

1. RT is correct, I think too much. Go take the boat out.
2. Look at alternatives, table attached to rail that lowers out of the way? Folding chairs?
3. Happy wife, happy life.

Say the magic word, win an "L" shaped settee.
Old 11-27-2019, 09:53 AM   #14
Guru

City: Carefree, Arizona
Vessel Name: sunchaser V
Vessel Model: DeFever 48 (sold)
Interestingly, before we purchased our DeFever we'd been looking at GBs. One of the factors we considered was fly bridge seating, under seat hatches and related storage. In this area the GB was second best. Since we were buying new the cost to factory modify the GB upper deck was egregious.
sunchaser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2019, 10:13 AM   #15
Enigma

City: Slicker?
Greetings,
Apologies to Mr./Ms. PT for the following thread drift...

Mr. fb. Your post (Lucky #13?) raises some interesting conundrums.

Point #1. RT is correct? Hahahahahahhh......phfttt....hahahaha.
Point #2. Quite a viable and versatile alternative and the easiest solution IMO.
Point #3. Whoo Boy! Ain't THAT the truth.

Regarding point #3. You state in your post above "...the wife keeps talking about it.", so it's NOT really your idea is it? (Of course it is, silly. You just don't know it yet). I'm going to go completely bonkers here and suggest you gently ease her into something other than a built in unit.
As I mentioned, the versatility of temporary/movable seating and table(s) may be of an advantage to walking about on the flybridge and will make cleaning up there much easier.
Depending on where one wants to sit, moving a folding chair in or out of the sun can't be done with fixed seating.
Mr. 99 mentions the weight addition up high which may induce list but much more importantly, affect stability. It's a question of SAFETY.

I've you've got so much free time to research the built in stuff, might I suggest you put that aside for now and buzz down and help ME with MY jobs? You can tell the misses "But, but, it's an emergency, dear". It sort of is, I'm prepping to sell (oops).

Give me a call.
Old 11-27-2019, 10:24 AM   #16
Guru

Click image for larger version

Name:	Image-1.jpg
Views:	63
Size:	78.9 KB
ID:	96920

An inexpensive alternative: If you have the room, may I suggest a pair of loungers. My wife is very happy with them. Great in the daytime for sunbathing and naps and at night for stargazing. Not shown in the picture is a small folding table for cocktails that RTF would approve.
mahal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2019, 10:46 AM   #17
Guru

City: Vallejo, California
Vessel Name: Mahalo Moi
Vessel Model: 1986 Grand Banks 42 Classic
In the beginning, I wanted the factory-built L-shaped bridge seating, also. However, I have since realized that I would rather use folding chairs and have the bridge open. We do have a built-in table in front of the rear-facing helm seating.

The other GBs I’ve been on that have the L-settee, have it secured to the fiberglass deck and the teak finished up to the edge of the seating. I’ve never seen the settee attached directly to the teak. I don’t think the teak would last long.

Also, the “crown” shape of the bridge deck is very pronounced; both side-to-side as well as forward to aft. Getting the settee to fit the shape is an engineering marvel in itself!

I would stick with moveable seating. Oh, and don’t forget an ice chest with your favorite beverage ��.
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑβΕ
Giggitoni is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2019, 02:03 PM   #18
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by RT Firefly View Post
Greetings,
Apologies to Mr./Ms. PT for the following thread drift...

Mr. fb. Your post (Lucky #13?) raises some interesting conundrums.

Point #1. RT is correct? Hahahahahahhh......phfttt....hahahaha.
Point #2. Quite a viable and versatile alternative and the easiest solution IMO.
Point #3. Whoo Boy! Ain't THAT the truth.

Regarding point #3. You state in your post above "...the wife keeps talking about it.", so it's NOT really your idea is it? (Of course it is, silly. You just don't know it yet). I'm going to go completely bonkers here and suggest you gently ease her into something other than a built in unit.
As I mentioned, the versatility of temporary/movable seating and table(s) may be of an advantage to walking about on the flybridge and will make cleaning up there much easier.
Depending on where one wants to sit, moving a folding chair in or out of the sun can't be done with fixed seating.
Mr. 99 mentions the weight addition up high which may induce list but much more importantly, affect stability. It's a question of SAFETY.

I've you've got so much free time to research the built in stuff, might I suggest you put that aside for now and buzz down and help ME with MY jobs? You can tell the misses "But, but, it's an emergency, dear". It sort of is, I'm prepping to sell (oops).

Give me a call.
RT, I am SOOO sorry to hear that your PM function is broken! I TOLD you to message me when/if you needed something down there. Reboot your laptop and see if it comes back.

Yes, the settee seating w/table is my wifes idea or the most part but seemed like a good idea to me as well. You guys are talking me off the cliff though and I can see the value of keeping the seating options open. Thought about loungers but they are rather large. I really like the teak replicas of the ones on the Titanic but that seems, oh I don't know, sort of inappropriate. Shall see!
Old 11-28-2019, 05:13 AM   #19
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Giggitoni View Post
In the beginning, I wanted the factory-built L-shaped bridge seating, also. However, I have since realized that I would rather use folding chairs and have the bridge open. We do have a built-in table in front of the rear-facing helm seating.

The other GBs I’ve been on that have the L-settee, have it secured to the fiberglass deck and the teak finished up to the edge of the seating. I’ve never seen the settee attached directly to the teak. I don’t think the teak would last long.

Also, the “crown” shape of the bridge deck is very pronounced; both side-to-side as well as forward to aft. Getting the settee to fit the shape is an engineering marvel in itself!

I would stick with moveable seating. Oh, and don’t forget an ice chest with your favorite beverage ��.
And Ray moves me even further from the edge of the cliff.... Hadn't thought about the crown of the flybridge. Your table in front of the seating, on which side is it installed? Is your table through bolted? Another issue with the table, what to bolt to with minimal or no messing with the headliner below....
Old 11-28-2019, 10:40 AM   #20
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Giggitoni View Post
Yep. It was that curvature that turned me off of the Hinckley flybridge. Their step area has a compound side and fore/aft curve to it. It seemed like a really unstable way to do a stair transition. Granted, the price tag was likewise unappealing!

Any custom seating would likely have to be scribed to meet the curvatures involved, and then glassed-in onto the existing deck. This wouldn't be an unusual task for a decent fiberglass shop (read $$$, though). Resting on top would still require being scribed to fit the curves, but would have a finished bottom effect. But would still likely need to be placed directly on the fiberglass, not over the existing teak.

It is nice having fixed cushioned seating up there. But it does present limits on what else can be arranged there. I'm not in love with the overall utility of the flybridge on our EB47. The small, odd-shaped table is nearly useless. I just haven't committed to the process of "correcting it". As nothing 'easy' comes to mind. This is sort of how I'd feel about trying to add a settee. "Anything" is do-able, but the time and delays are big roadblocks.