Old 06-22-2014, 08:42 PM   #21
Guru

City: Avalon, NJ
Vessel Name: Freedom
Vessel Model: Albin 40
If the OP hasn't said what his plans are...liveaboard, long distance/term cruising, mentioned any "has to haves" or really much of anything....how can anyone really recommend a size?????

psneeld is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2014, 08:46 PM   #22
Guru

City: Brisbane
Vessel Name: Insequent
Vessel Model: Ocean Alexander 50 Mk I
I was all set to buy a GB42 until I went aboard an OA Mk1 50, which I ended up buying. No regrets, but then I'm content at trawler speeds.

To me 'speed options' is the crux of the 36 vs 42 choice. Sure you can plane a 42 with enough power, but it will burn a lot of fuel. On the other hand, setting up a 36 to plane isn't a huge deal, and fuel use not unreasonable. It was Marin who used to highlight this flexibility of the 36 design. For people still working it gives them more time at destinations and a greater range of destinations from home port. You can probably get a 'trawler' style boat up to about 39 ft to plane at reasonable cost. Beyond that, there are too many cupboards to 'store stuff which you might need one day', your displacement takes a big jump up and going fast will be expensive.

As others have said, its how you will use the boat that determines the right size for you. In GB's that you don't want to go fast in, I think the sweet spot is the 46. For displacement speeds, waterline length is everything providing displacement is still reasonable. But I think the GB49 is just too heavy, and is into a different class of boat.

Old 06-22-2014, 09:52 PM   #23
Guru

City: Beaverton, Ontario
Vessel Name: Airswift
Vessel Model: Ontario Yachts Great Lakes 33
Quote:
Originally Posted by psneeld View Post
If the OP hasn't said what his plans are...liveaboard, long distance/term cruising, mentioned any "has to haves" or really much of anything....how can anyone really recommend a size?????
I was thinking the exact same thing. This is a very personal decision and is greatly affected by wants, needs, available cash (or credit) and what the OP wants to do with the boat. Only he can answer that question. Look at lots, carter if need be then buy what's right for YOU. Oh, and never become a two boat owner like I did last time.
Old 06-22-2014, 11:52 PM   #24
Guru

City: Joe Wheeler State Park, Al
Vessel Name: Serenity
Vessel Model: Mainship 36 Dual Cabin -1986
We have our current 36 Mainship Aft Cabin model about 2 years now.

I wanted something more like a 42 - 44 footer. The Admiral fell in love with a 36 because she was not intimidated by its size and since she will be doing a lot of driving and handling, that is what we bought.

Now after living on it for 2 years and our first extensive trip of over 1200 miles she is still happy with the 36. At times, I think that a bigger boat might have been better, however, being senior citizens, there are times when the 36 really was the better choice - lighter ground tackle, less boat to wrestle with, more anchorages and slips available and a willing partner that enjoys driving the boat.
Old 06-23-2014, 01:54 AM   #25
Guru

City: Pender Harbour, BC
Vessel Name: Gwaii Haanas
Vessel Model: Vancouver Shipyards Custom Aluminum 52
I wanted a GB42 with a single. Most of them are twins. If you are an older person, or less flexible, you will never see the outside of your engines in a 36 (if twins). On a 42 with the same pair of engines, if the tanks are not placed badly, you will actually be able to move around in your engine room, which I have found to be an advantage. Or get a 36 single. I saw a 42 with a single Gardner once, but it was not for sale. Except for teak decks, which I can't stand, I can't look at a deck without checking the seams and the bungs and counting the screw heads... a GB42 with a single is my dream boat.

Some GBs with twins were John Deeres, which are nice engines but for the fact that one runs backwards, which causes issues for starters and water pumps, amongst other things.
Old 06-23-2014, 02:23 AM   #26
Guru

City: Brisbane
Vessel Name: Insequent
Vessel Model: Ocean Alexander 50 Mk I
When looking at GB42's over two years ago I found a couple of singles. One in Seattle had a Cat 3208 in it. For reasons that were not clear to me the engine was mounted very high. Yes, good access is nice. But i just need to get to both sides, not be able to lie underneath it as well.

The second one I considered had a Gardner 6LXB in it. It was in Tasmania, and I was close to buying a plane ticket to check it out. I was nervous about the draft - a problem when going from a single to a twin. This boat seemed to have partly addressed the problem by going to a 5 bladed prop of smaller diameter than one would normally use. The owner felt it was fine, and it may well have been OK.

The showstopper was the boat price - the hull number was a giveaway that the boat was older than claimed. I think the owner got caught out when he bought it. I found a few GB42 in Australia with the same issue. Brokers just accept owners word and have no liability that I am aware of, and some owners lie because they know later build year boats are worth more. Thank goodness for hull numbers and a bit of due diligence. The Tasmanian owner went through the old maintenance records and realised the boat was older than he was lead to believe and was upfront with me on that. He wasn't fussed as he had extensively upgraded the boat ready to do a lot of cruising, and I agree that quality and age of systems does have a lot of bearing on boat value. But then health issues (stroke) limited his mobility and he decided he just had to sell. He wanted back the money he had spent. This was understandable but it was just way, way above market value so I backed away. The gap was just too large. I still feel sorry for the guy, getting everything ready for living his dream and then not being able to do it. I hope he did get an OK price, but it was going to take him some time to realise he had to reduce expectations. It made me determined to get onto the water sooner rather than later, advice I always give to folks. You never know what's coming, live life while you have your health. Downsize boats on your shortlist if necessary, but do it now.
Old 06-23-2014, 09:33 AM   #27
Guru

City: gulf coast
Quote:
We have found that the GB classic has too much sleeping space and not enough lounging space for long term cruising, so this year we are sleeping in the vee berth and converting the after cabin into a study
Anyone considering a trunk cabil boat should consider the above experience carefully. Makers have for years been pushing sleeping space, great for weekenders but not for long time cruisers.

Interior volume is very important when you spend a lot of time on the boat. A small salon with a dinette, helm station and perhaps a chair really limits your lounging and entertaining space. Think about where you would sit to read or (gasp) watch TV? Would another couple or two be able to sit comfortably for cocktails??

If you need a lot of space for weekending with large family then perhaps an express boat fits your current needs better.

Sure the aft deck is great for lounging except when the weather is too hot, too cold or too buggy. Then everyone wants to be inside.

Personally I hate dinettes. People often ask how many does it sleep my answer is that it depends on how friendly they are. In my experience sleeping space is not as critical as lounging space.
bayview is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2014, 12:17 PM   #28

City: Valley Springs
Vessel Name: Lollygag
Vessel Model: 1979 42' CHB Europa
My first trawler was a CT35. Great boat! Loved it and loved taking it out around the bay and delta. But it was too small to take to Mexico, in my opinion. Eleven years with a sailboat and it was time to move to a trawler again. This time we got a 42' boat so we can cruise to Mexico and Alaska. We didn't need more than 36' other than being comfortable coastal cruising. That's us. Lot's of other people cruise up and down the coast in much smaller boats.
Lollygag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2014, 01:13 PM   #29
Guru

My trunk cabin Albin Has more usable and lounging space than many of the "Europa" style boats that may have a longer cabin but it's all chopped up.

Plus climbing a ladder to go to the upper deck was a definite no-go. Fortunately later models have incorporated steps rather than a ladder.

Every manufacturer and every model can be a little different. Be careful not to rule one out because others like it have an undesirable trait.

Plus bedroom space means storage and can be comfortable lounging space for a cruising couple...
Old 06-23-2014, 01:33 PM   #30
Guru

City: gulf coast
psn: Be careful, isn't it close to blasphemy to suggest that your nice Albin may be better designed for its intended use than a GB?
bayview is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2014, 02:14 PM   #31

City: Valley Springs
Vessel Name: Lollygag
Vessel Model: 1979 42' CHB Europa
Psneeld, I agree that a Europa doesn't make the best use of space if you're looking at interior space. The admiral really, really liked the "safer" side decks. I would have gone with a sundeck myself but, like the twin engines, it was a compromise. The ladder to the bridgedeck is definetly going to be replaced with a more accomodating ladder with steps close enough together for the admiral not to complain.
Lollygag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2014, 04:13 PM   #32
Guru

City: Powell River, BC
Vessel Name: Northern Spy
Vessel Model: Nordic Tug 26
Ship all GB Europas to the PNW. They are popular here due to the rain.
Northern Spy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2014, 04:24 PM   #33
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Northern Spy View Post
Ship all GB Europas to the PNW. They are popular here due to the rain.

OK...I am the Prince of NJ, I will send you bank note for 500 million. if you can arrange shipping. Unfortunately the King has frozen my account temporarily, so if you would be so kind to send a cashier's check for the $100,000 I'll need to free up all the GB Europa's in the world (about what I would pay)....they will be on their way shortly....

Actually in a big enough boat with interior stairs to the FB...I could learn to like that layout....sorta.

As far as GB's...I like the better build in most ways...just hate their layouts....blasphemy be danged.
Old 06-23-2014, 05:52 PM   #34
Guru

City: Tuckerton, NJ
Vessel Name: WIRELESS ONE
Vessel Model: 36 Gulstar MarkII
Smile

Quote:
OK...I am the Prince of NJ, I will send you bank note for 500 million. if you can arrange shipping. Unfortunately the King has frozen my account temporarily, so if you would be so kind to send a cashier's check for the $100,000 I'll need to free up all the GB Europa's in the world (about what I would pay)....they will be on their way shortly....

Actually in a big enough boat with interior stairs to the FB...I could learn to like that layout....sorta.

As far as GB's...I like the better build in most ways...just hate their layouts....blasphemy be danged.
Are you sure your not from Nigeria and a "King"
Bill
Billylll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2014, 06:07 PM   #35
Master and Commander

City: Vallejo CA
Vessel Name: Carquinez Coot
Vessel Model: 2011 Seahorse Marine Coot hull #6
Quote:
Originally Posted by Apophyge View Post
.. The admiral really, really liked the "safer" side decks. ...
Safe decks was my priority.

Old 06-23-2014, 06:50 PM   #36
Guru

Prince psneeld. A certified cashiers banks cheque is in the air post. Please start rounding up many boats on my behalf to be shipping immediately. Looking forward to continuous beneficial businesses together.
Old 06-23-2014, 07:19 PM   #37
Guru

Prince psneeld.

It is with heavy heart that I write to you A most unfortunate series of misfortune has come to my families as my most beautiful youngest daughter has betaken ill with a sickness of the most worst kind. If you could please send me $10,000 immediately you may keep a reward of $10,000 for your considerable kindness when the cheque is received.
Old 06-23-2014, 09:55 PM   #38
Guru

and billyIII thinks I should be King.... heck I'm smarter than the King...

NS...$10,000 is on its way...hope you don't think I pulled one over on you....BillyIII almost spoiled it.

Sorry about the thread creep...but it helps when the OP stays involved....
Old 06-23-2014, 10:24 PM   #39
Guru

City: Full Time Cruising East Coast
Vessel Name: Meridian
Vessel Model: Krogen-42
We purchased out Albin 36 for the Loop. After being on it for a year and deciding we want to be full time liveaboards we are looking for something in the low 40's range. This will be a challange since we want to keep it a single. We put the Albin on the market 2 weeks ago. It is a great boat for traveling but we need something larger. We did have a 40' trawler about 10 years ago but sold it as we were only using it on the weekends. At that time retirement looked so far in the future. hahahaha
KK-42097
meridian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2014, 11:38 PM   #40
TF Site Team

City: California Delta and SF Bay
Vessel Name: FlyWright
Vessel Model: Marshall Californian 34 LRC
Quote:
and billyIII thinks I should be King.... heck I'm smarter than the King...
Do we all get a vote?

Custom Google Trawler Forum Search
FlyWright is offline   Reply With Quote