tunnels in new build

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

stuarth44

Attachments

• Screenshot (41).jpg
    Screenshot (41).jpg
    96.4 KB · Views: 73
In my uneducated position, only if you want a protected prop at the expense of maneuverability.

I hear tunnels present a problem with maneuvering in some twins. Can't imagine how much worse it might be in a single.

I think that Bayliner had tunnels in some of their motoryachts and then phased the tunnels out. Don’t remember why they got rid of them.

Hey RT, my buddy had an early '70s Penn Yan 23' with tunnel drive. Man we had fun with that thing. Drew about 18" of water. Didn't back up very well. Slow-speed maneuvering wasn't pretty, either. No bow thruster. He docked in on the back side of a face dock, just a few feet from the rocks, in a strong current. I guess we just learned to deal with it. I notice the extended rudder in that pic, probably helps a lot.

Greetings,
Mr. CT. More fun than a basket of puppies on a ferris wheel. There ARE maneuvering "quirks" but once learned, moving the boat where you want is fairly simple. NO prop walk and a small rudder can pose problems to those that are used to the behavior of trawlers. I expect the poor low speed steering is symptomatic of any planing boat with a small rudder. One does have to think ahead.

The rudder pictured is not extended but "bent", on purpose. Evidently, over the years, Penn Yan made changes to both the size and shape of the tunnel AND the size, shape and placement of the rudder to gain better performance. Not unheard of for any manufacturer to "tweak" their design.

I think I draw about 18" as well, at rest but about 12" when on plane. She scoots right along but gets a bit "squirrely" above 30 mph. Light load @ 3000 RPM she's doing about 24 mph and burning 16 gph. Mercruiser 350. GREAT boat.

picture

Last edited:
I suppose that a small tunnel acts like a partial Kort nozzle, which are known to reduce maneuverability

I also had a Penn Yan, 23 foot. It was a pretty high speed boat with a 383 Chrysler in it. I was absolutely mesmerizing to stick your head over the stern rail at high speed and watch the fury of the prop wash. Plus the dual exhaust roaring away.

pete

Greetings,
Mr. b. Agreed. NO prop walk in my case but since Mr. 44 is contemplating a new build it should be no problem to incorporate thrusters to compensate, I would think.

+1 on the 23 Penn Yan!!!

Great maneuverability on that boat. At least as compared to other single screw inboards.

However, searching for the right prop took talking with the owner of PY, at least 6 prop shop experts, 7 props and 8 or 9 adjustments. It was quite the science project. Costly, but also a lot of fun.

The advantages of the tunnel were primarily low draft, and a shallow shaft angle that put the engine very low and centered in the small boat, ideal for the center of gravity.

I eventually got fairly decent performance on a new higher hp engine, but it took a LOT of experimentation. The tunnel was very finicky on how it responded. Since the prop diameter was essentially fixed, you had to play with blade number, rake, cup to get the tunnel to flow more water. Off even by a little and efficiency would tank.

My buddy had a twin tunnel screw 33 but he only drafted a couple inches more than I did. We traversed some shallow rocky water together at speed! I once went clean over a hiding tree with no damage to the prop at all.

I’m left with mixed feelings. It was really fun on a small boat for someone who loved to tinker, but could become prohibitively expensive on a vessel with larger, expensive props. Lots of guys in the PY community ran around with some pretty horrible perf, large rooster tails, slow speed and just lived with it as normal. I hear some pretty bad reputations on larger boats with pockets and can’t help but to wonder whether the problem is really just non ideal props and too expensive to troubleshoot coupled with few people who know how to make it work.

First question/principle if I went with prop tunnels would be to get very clear on what my goals were and in what order. To get something, you will need to give something else.

There wont be any prop walk to aid manouverability
Not 100% true! If the prop(s) are High up in the tunnel there won't be hardly any prop walk. With about half the prop(s) diameter below the tunnel(s) bottom, prop walk is excellent! Ocean Alexander was fully aware of this and positioned the props correctly:oldman:

Attachments

• Sandpiper's bottom.jpg
    Sandpiper's bottom.jpg
    147.3 KB · Views: 47
  • Sandpiper's Bottom 2.jpg
    Sandpiper's Bottom 2.jpg
    117.2 KB · Views: 50
  • Sandpiper's bottom 3.jpg
    Sandpiper's bottom 3.jpg
    95.4 KB · Views: 41
Looking at how small those tunnels force the trim tabs to be, I wonder if that costs some of the efficiency the tunnels are trying to gain on a planing hull?

Looking at how small those tunnels force the trim tabs to be, I wonder if that costs some of the efficiency the tunnels are trying to gain on a planing hull?
I can't answer that as there is really no need for trim tabs n my boat. I never use them.:blush:

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom