Old 02-10-2015, 01:07 PM   #21
Art
Guru

City: SF Bay Area
Vessel Model: Tollycraft 34' Tri Cabin
Quote:
Originally Posted by west coast troller View Post
Art ,we used to say there are two types of skippers out there . Those that have hit the beach and those that haven't yet . We had far more claims from fire than any other cause . I was only talking about integrity of the vessel due to age , not everything else that could destroy a boat .

Yo wtc

Be not flummoxed by elbow-to-rib pokes you'll get in TF. There is plenty meaningless banter that goes back and forth... "mostly" meant in fun.

Meaningful worthwhile items are also discussed... at times ad nauseam.

For many of we too often posters TF is a break in our busy day that offers capability to banter/chat with other boat worthy marine addicts. Eclectic international group to say the least!

Welcome aboard, hope you enjoy the ride. Seas can get rough but mostly calm prevails. OTDE is usually turmoil. Lots O' BS There!

Happy TF Daze! - Art
Art is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2015, 01:11 PM   #22
OFB
Guru

City: Richmond bc
Vessel Name: Invader no1
Vessel Model: Kishi Boat works
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wxx3 View Post
And this is based on?

Possibly the phase of the moon

Steel and wood must be maintained constantly.
???????? Really the phase of the moon?
Any material "must " be maintained constantly is my point !

Today we are seeing issues with old FRP pleasure cruisers in the market that we experienced with wood boats. "issues be the different but to suggest they are a non issue ?

Too suggest it is the Hull material just makes me go HMMMMMM.

Take a look at this thread at some of the old wood boats that have a history of care yet I am the guy basing his words on the phase of the moon ?

Really .

Sorry guys I guess I am just to old and grumpy for this forum.

Have a nice day .
OFB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2015, 01:23 PM   #23
Art
Guru

City: SF Bay Area
Vessel Model: Tollycraft 34' Tri Cabin
Quote:
Originally Posted by OFB View Post
???????? Really the phase of the moon?
Any material "must " be maintained constantly is my point !

Today we are seeing issues with old FRP pleasure cruisers in the market that we experienced with wood boats. "issues be the different but to suggest they are a non issue ?

Too suggest it is the Hull material just makes me go HMMMMMM.

Take a look at this thread at some of the old wood boats that have a history of care yet I am the guy basing his words on the phase of the moon ?

Really .

Sorry guys I guess I am just to old and grumpy for this forum.

Have a nice day .
Yo, OFB - You can't be too old. You can be too grumpy. One can't be changed... one can!

Happy Change-It Daze! - Art
Art is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2015, 02:54 PM   #24
Guru

City: Concrete Washington State
Vessel Name: Willy
Vessel Model: Willard Nomad 30'
The only hull material supperior to wood is aluminum.

If comparing is to be done comparing of fully maintained or new boats finds wood to be better or supperior to others except in puncture resistance. If you're going to run into a rock basically all materials are better than a carvel planked wood boat. But then that's not true of plywood or composite wood/epoxy FG boats. They are almost always lighter and stronger than production FG boats.

People often don't like wood boats for two reasons.
1. They expect a boat to last a long time w almost no maintance.
2. They think all old things, materials or methods are inferior to later developed things. Their feelings are based on attitudes ... not reality.

North Western Washington State USA
Nomad Willy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2015, 02:56 PM   #25
Guru

City: Ft Pierce
Vessel Name: Sold
Vessel Model: Was an Albin/PSN 40
While true that all may suffer bad management....usually none are catastrophic as popping a plank....

Just basing it on my experience of 35 years of marine emergency response.
psneeld is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2015, 03:44 PM   #26

City: Comox b c
Quote:
Originally Posted by psneeld View Post
While true that all may suffer bad management....usually none are catastrophic as popping a plank....

Just basing it on my experience of 35 years of marine emergency response.
Yes always was the thing I worried about the most as I have seen some pretty pointed boat nails come out of a hull being refastened . Always carried a gallon of bear shit or goop as we called it , copper nails , 6 foot square of each of the following , irish felt , lead sheeting and a sheet of 1/4 plywood . Plan was to drive the boat up on shore , brace under guards so it stays upright and patch hole with the materials mentioned . This was of course to patch a hole , not a popped plank as you would be lucky to get your mayday out and may be offshore at the time .
west coast troller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2015, 04:25 PM   #27
Guru

City: Port Townsend, WA
Vessel Name: Traveler
Vessel Model: Cheoy Lee 46 LRC
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marin View Post
You guys do know that trollers and trawlers are two entirely different things, right?
Very true! Have you read "The Troller Yacht Book" by George Buehler? I read it many years ago, primarily because I fell in love with his Diesel Duck designs for ocean cruising. Here's a description of the book from Amazon:

When boat designer George Buehler realized that he no longer wanted to cruise the world's oceans under sail, he decided to create a line of powerboats that sailors could love and anyone could afford. For inspiration, he turned to the light, lithe salmon trollers of the Pacific Northwest, among the most efficient, seaworthy, and beautiful powerboats ever built.
https://www.theboatgeeks.com
Moonfish is offline   Reply With Quote