Trim tabs

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

hfmckevitt

Veteran Member
Vessel Name
Linda Lee
Vessel Make
45' Aquarius motoryacht
We have set of Bennett trim tabs on our 1990 45’ Aquarius M/Y.
Model # 2TP38-7 8829. Been told by Bennett that they no longer support this model.
We feel that the main (brain) control box maybe bad. If there is anyone or place that is know, where I can either get it repair or a replacement one I would really appreciate it.
Not only will it be expansive to install a new system, but the controls will not match up to those at the helm.

Thanks
Henry
Linda Lee
Ft Myers Fl

Last edited:
I have had Bennett trim tabs on other boats, but am not familiar with the part you listed. Is this the actuator controls that indicate down angle, or something else?

Ted

There are a bunch of Bennett trim tab parts listed for sale on ebay.

Like ted above I don't understand what part you seek.

It is not the indicator on the dashboard. It is the control box itself under the dashboard.

Thanks

The units I had were all hydraulic with a pair of double pole, double throw, center off, momentary switches. Is yours not the hydraulic version?

Ted

Perhaps you are talking about the Interrupter Relay IR1000? A small grey potted elect box that is wired in-line usually right behind the switch?

On older Bennett controls there was a possibility of trying to put one side up and the other side down at the same time. This would cause the pump motor to turn in forward and reverse at the same time and would blow the fuse. The Interrupter Relay would cause nothing to happen should the controls be in conflict and not blow the fuse.

You can just take it out and not go up and down simultaneously, worse case you blow a fuse.

The other "black box" is the "Auto Tab Retractor." This unit retracts your tabs automatically when you shut off the engine. I can be identified by the 22 gauge orange wire going to an ignition circuit. It too can just be taken out of the system and it will work fine, just not have that feature.

That may not be your problem. There are several troubleshooting tutorials on the Bennett site www.bennetttrimtabs.com

A few things to look at

the fuse, inline 20a
all screws on he back of switch are there, clean and tight
the connectors are notorious after 30 years for having bad connections
ground from pump to ground is bad

:socool:

Attachments

• bennett parts.jpg
    bennett parts.jpg
    63.7 KB · Views: 152
  • IR1000a.png
    IR1000a.png