Old 02-22-2012, 10:57 AM   #1
Guru

City: Sunset Beach, NC
Vessel Name: Polly P.
Vessel Model: Monk 36
Trawler vs. Sea Ray Sundancer

Boating season is fast approaching (at least it is here).* I'd like to get the ball rolling with an old boating tradition -- slamming Sea Ray.**I know there are Sea Ray owners among us, and I like some of you*.* So this*is nothing personal, just being funny.*
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	searayvstrawler.jpg
Views:	280
Size:	136.0 KB
ID:	10253  

Egregious is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2012, 11:33 AM   #2
Guru

City: Saltspring Island
Vessel Name: Retreat
Vessel Model: C&L 44
RE: Trawler vs. Sea Ray Sundancer

you left off the best part of the comparison;

Wash: high and will require others to have everything battened down securely

versus: What is a wash?

koliver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2012, 05:04 PM   #3

Can you get a SR with:

galley up

teak decks

stand up engine room

lower helm

full displacement hull

Not that I am looking ......
El Sea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2012, 05:20 PM   #4
Guru

City: Avalon, NJ
Vessel Name: Freedom
Vessel Model: Albin 40

Usually when people start on Sea Rays...I liven it up by bashing Boston Whalers or Grady Whites...WAYYYYY overpriced for what they are and not even built as well as Sea Rays and the owners...man...don't get me started!!!
psneeld is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2012, 05:43 PM   #5

City: Philadelphia
Vessel Name: Dreamers Holiday
Vessel Model: Mainship 390

I always wondered why they run with the bow up like that. I've owned express cruisers over the years and could always bring the bow down with the tabs so I could see what was in front of me.
John
390 Mainship
johnma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2012, 07:06 PM   #6
Guru

Quote:
johnma wrote:
I always wondered why they run with the bow up like that. I've owned express cruisers over the years and could always bring the bow down with the tabs so I could see what was in front of me.
John
390 Mainship
*photo shoot?
Old 02-22-2012, 07:08 PM   #7
Guru

It's so they can wake the hell out of us slow boaters!
twiisted71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2012, 07:29 PM   #8
Guru

Quote:
twiisted71 wrote:
It's so they can wake the hell out of us slow boaters!
The only thing worse is a trawler owner who has a 7-8 knot hull that tries to push it at 9+ knots... and figures he's a trawler and doesn't slow down for anything!!! Including marinas and gas docks...
Old 02-22-2012, 07:56 PM   #9
Guru

City: Hailing Port: Charleston, SC
Vessel Name: Moonstruck
Vessel Model: Sabre 42 Hardtop Express

Quote:
johnma wrote:
John
390 Mainship
*SeaRays aren't inherently bad. *I think one of the main problems is because they are flashy and attract many first time boat owners. *They don't seam to observe the rules.

If you will notice their front decks all slope forward. *That's because they are designed to run in a bow up attitude. *When on a SeaRay express what bothers me most is the windshield height. *If you stand to drive you have to stretch to see over the top of the windhield. *If you are sitting, the windshield top cuts across your field of view. *So I wind up crouching to get a clear view.

Here is a picture on the NC ICW. *The fact that I arrived at the bridge 15 minutes before a cruise of several SeaRays got to the other side, cut no ice with them .. They all pushed through before letting me through. *Of course they were struggling to get on plane as the went by me. *This is what gives SeaRays a bad name.

-- Edited by Moonstruck on Wednesday 22nd of February 2012 09:32:40 PM
Moonstruck is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2012, 08:10 PM   #10
Veteran Member

City: Taunton, MA.
Vessel Name: Navy Whale
Vessel Model: 41' MMC Defever Trawler

Why do they keep their spotlight on all the time, do they think it's a headlight?
Pinball63 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2012, 09:14 PM   #11
Master and Commander

City: Vallejo CA
Vessel Name: Carquinez Coot
Vessel Model: 2011 Seahorse Marine Coot hull #6

Quote:
Pinball63 wrote:
Why do they keep their spotlight on all the time, do they think it's a headlight?
*So far, the only exterior light I've shown at night has been an anchor light, nevertheless ...

-- Edited by markpierce on Wednesday 22nd of February 2012 10:15:52 PM
Attached Images

markpierce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2012, 03:23 AM   #12
FF
Guru

Boats built to a price point weather TT or Bayliner or Sea Ray ARE built to a price point.

Purchase one of your choice , but be aware of the limitations of "low inital cost."
FF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2012, 06:25 AM   #13
Guru

City: North Charleston, SC

Many of my friends and marina neighbors own Sea Ray and similar boats. They all seem to enjoy their boats as much as I enjoy mine. Their style of boating is different from mine of course, but there's really no "right" or "wrong" in boating as long as you're enjoying it and not harming other people or property.
rwidman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2012, 06:28 AM   #14
Guru

City: North Charleston, SC

Quote:
Moonstruck wrote:
Here is a picture on the NC ICW. *The fact that I arrived at the bridge 15 minutes before a cruise of several SeaRays got to the other side, cut no ice with them .. They all pushed through before letting me through. *Of course they were struggling to get on plane as the went by me. *This is what gives SeaRays a bad name.

Who was with the current and who was against it?

I've only been in that situation once but it was one boat on the other side.* I was traveling with the current and the other boater let me pass first.
rwidman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2012, 06:56 AM   #15
JD
Guru

City: New Bern NC
Vessel Name: Stella Di Mare
Vessel Model: Mainship 34t

Quote:
rwidman wrote:Moonstruck wrote:

I've only been in that situation once but it was one boat on the other side.* I was traveling with the current and the other boater let me pass first.

*New Years day was the first time that I saw and heard this enforced by the bridge tender.* We were standing by for the Beaufort Bridge in Beaufort NC.* We and several other boats were on the south side as were several boat on the north side of the bridge.* As folks approached and asked for an opening the bridge*tender acknowledge them and he explained that when he did open,*the boats on the south side heading up the the channel had the right of way due to the in coming tide.* He did enforce it.
JD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2012, 07:10 AM   #16
Guru

Quote:
JD wrote:rwidman wrote:Moonstruck wrote:

*New Years day was the first time that I saw and heard this enforced by the bridge tender.* We were standing by for the Beaufort Bridge in Beaufort NC.* We and several other boats were on the south side as were several boat on the north side of the bridge.* As folks approached and asked for an opening the bridge*tender acknowledge them and he explained that when he did open,*the boats on the south side heading up the the channel had the right of way due to the in coming tide.* He did enforce it.

*Unless it's a local "rule" or law...there is no such thing as a "downbound"*on the East Coast...It's a western river's only rule.

However it is a "courtesy"...so I'd love to know how the bridge tender "enforced" it.*
Old 02-23-2012, 07:48 AM   #17
JD
Guru

City: New Bern NC
Vessel Name: Stella Di Mare
Vessel Model: Mainship 34t

Quote:
psneeld wrote:JD wrote:rwidman wrote:Moonstruck wrote:

*Unless it's a local "rule" or law...there is no such thing as a "downbound"*on the East Coast...It's a western river's only rule.

However it is a "courtesy"...so I'd love to know how the bridge tender "enforced" it.*

*Well he enforced it by telling the boats on the north side to stand by and the north bound boats to proceed through the bridge.* They did and we did.*That's enforced enough for me.

I don't think anyone was interested in finding out if he was going to shoot them or not if they didn't.

I don't recall me saying it was a rule.* I said this was the first time I had heard of it.* But thanks for clearing that up.
JD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2012, 07:53 AM   #18
Guru

City: Cary, NC
Vessel Name: Skinny Dippin'
Vessel Model: Navigator 4200 Classic

*I* thought it was a nautical right-of-way. Shows what I know. Nevertheless, I will always contact the boats on the other side of the bridge and work it out ahead of time. Most of them, even the BlingBoats, know what the deal is. I won't judge SeaRay's because: a) We almost bought one b) JD, his lovely wife, Bess and myself have some lovely friends that own a 50' SeaRay and still another with a 42' SeaRay trawler.

Now Bayliner owners? THEY are the dillweeds ;-) (j/k)

Tom-
Tom.B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2012, 08:25 AM   #19
TF Site Team

City: SEWARD ALASKA
Vessel Name: LISAS WAY
Vessel Model: BAYLINER 4788

Quote:
GonzoF1 wrote:
Now Bayliner owners? THEY are the dillweeds ;-) (j/k)

Tom-
ksanders is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2012, 08:28 AM   #20
Curmudgeon

City: Stoney Creek, MD
Vessel Name: Moon Dance
Vessel Model: 1974 34' Marine Trader Sedan

The rudest bridge tender on earth works the drawbridge on our creek.* He almost dropped the bridge on us once as we were approaching.* "All astern" or we would have gotten hammered.

So we called him and asked WTF you doing? Even though we were waiting in line, in clear sight and were following another boat through, since we didn't call the guy and announce our intentions he believed he had the right to close the bridge.* Typical minor bureaucrat showing me his power. What a jerk!

BaltimoreLurker is offline   Reply With Quote