gotta love a boat with fins

twiisted71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2012, 09:29 AM   #82
Guru

City: Port Townsend Washington
Vessel Name: " OTTER "
Vessel Model: Ocean Alexander Europa 40
RE: Trawler vs. Sea Ray Sundancer

It's been interesting reading where all this thread has gone..

Regarding the initial topic of sea Ray's ..

I have bashed them as much as anyone.. who among us hasn't had evil thoughts when you have been slogging along for hours and some schmuck with his muscle shirt and gold chains flapping in the breeze... with his skinny,long blond hair, barely clad bikini wearing girlfriend ( trawler guys never have those kind of wives ) passes you with a casual wave.. then makes you wish just for a moment that you didn't have that kind of speed?

We have all been there... most won't admit it though.

We have lived the trawler life for over fifteen years and then last year moved to a 45' sea ray express. It has a lot of limitations.. lack of range and water capacity, not too much extra on deck lounging areas.. the long pointy bow doesn't hardly even have a flat spot to lay and read a book for any length of time and the main cabin is a cave.

But the speed it like a drug ( and it costs about as much as a good addiction ). When we moved from the big boat to the fast boat we knew it would more than likely be a interim step... we have had it about 16 months and I am looking into selling the Sea Ray and starting to look for the next boat.

Has it been a good experience?, absolutely. The sea ray has added a different element to my seamanship experience.* Ironically my two high school age girls dislike the sea ray more than I do. I thought the glossy go fast boat would be right to their liking... but I guess I raised a couple of trawler girls... who would of thought that would be the case. Attached is a picture of both boats on the day the sale went through.

On a side note... the one surprise is that the build quality of the Sea Ray is in my mind excellent... Sea Ray didn't cut corners on anything that I have found so far.. and the glass work is flawless

HOLLYWOOD
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	010.jpg
Views:	43
Size:	142.8 KB
ID:	10426  

hollywood8118 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2012, 09:39 AM   #83
Guru

City: San Diego
Vessel Name: "Sandpiper"
Vessel Model: 2006 42' Ocean Alexander Sedan

Quote:
hollywood8118 wrote:
On a side note... the one surprise is that the build quality of the Sea Ray is in my mind excellent... Sea Ray didn't cut corners on anything that I have found so far.. and the glass work is flawless
******* No surprise here! I had a 1975- 17' SeaRay many years ago and it weighed almost twice as much as their next closest competitor. Love them or hate them, they are a high quality boat.
Codger2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2012, 10:08 AM   #84
Guru

I have a friend who worked for a MarineMax~SeaMax? dealer, anyway he trained new boat owners as part of their purchase. He is a commercial capt. and has been for EVER. His take on Searays was that they are well built boats, not well built for high production boats, well built boats Period. As far as practicality and ergonomics.......well YMMV.
twiisted71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2012, 10:44 AM   #85
Guru

City: Cary, NC
Vessel Name: Skinny Dippin'
Vessel Model: Navigator 4200 Classic

Quote:
Anode wrote:
Speaking of Sea* Ray. Here's a picture of my first boat. My uncle Ray Carr developed the fiberglass molds and started the Ray Craft boat company in the mid-50's. It was located in Detroit, Michigan. He sold the company to Connie Ray who changed the name to Sea Ray a short time later. I have great memories of original boat company and our Ray Craft boats.* I have never owned a Sea Ray.

Didn't I see one of these on Pawn Stars?
Tom.B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2012, 10:52 AM   #86
Guru

City: Hailing Port: Charleston, SC
Vessel Name: Moonstruck
Vessel Model: Sabre 42 Hardtop Express

Quote:
twiisted71 wrote:
I have a friend who worked for a MarineMax~SeaMax? dealer, anyway he trained new boat owners as part of their purchase.*
*This is what SeaRay is best at. *Getting the first time boat buyer, and getting him to identify with the brand. *The dealers and SeaRay groups continually have cruises and outings. *The owners see the latest models, and keep moving up in the same brand. *I wouldn't be at all surprised to see a baby, kind of entry level Hateras emerge. *Of course it would not be a cheap boat, but something to get more owners into the Hatteras brand. *It will be interesting to see what changes the new CEO at Hatteras does.

Moonstruck is offline   Reply With Quote