Old 02-23-2012, 09:00 AM   #21
Guru

City: Avalon, NJ
Vessel Name: Freedom
Vessel Model: Albin 40
Trawler vs. Sea Ray Sundancer

Quote:
BaltimoreLurker wrote:
The rudest bridge tender on earth works the drawbridge on our creek.* He almost dropped the bridge on us once as we were approaching.* "All astern" or we would have gotten hammered.

So we called him and asked WTF you doing? Even though we were waiting in line, in clear sight and were following another boat through, since we didn't call the guy and announce our intentions he believed he had the right to close the bridge.* Typical minor bureaucrat showing me his power. What a jerk!
The rules do state that every vessel requesting an opening has to signal...I'm not sure and the rules aren't clear as to what the bridge tender is allowed to do.

-- Edited by psneeld on Thursday 23rd of February 2012 10:06:26 AM

psneeld is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2012, 09:08 AM   #22
Curmudgeon

City: Stoney Creek, MD
Vessel Name: Moon Dance
Vessel Model: 1974 34' Marine Trader Sedan
RE: Trawler vs. Sea Ray Sundancer

4 boats idling and circling while waiting for the scheduled opening.* 1 sailboat goes through first, downstream, and then the powerboats queue up to go through upstream.* Let 2 get through and drop the bridge on the 3rd?

One would assume a little common sense should be exercised.* I guess that's what I get for making an assumption.

BaltimoreLurker is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2012, 09:19 AM   #23
Master and Commander

City: Vallejo CA
Vessel Name: Carquinez Coot
Vessel Model: 2011 Seahorse Marine Coot hull #6

Had a better experience at the Mare Island Causeway Bridge.** The bridge tender had raised the bridge for a boat several minutes ahead, but kept it open for me.* Now, if I had been in a vehicle waiting to cross the bridge ...
markpierce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2012, 09:21 AM   #24
Guru

Quote:
BaltimoreLurker wrote:
4 boats idling and circling while waiting for the scheduled opening.* 1 sailboat goes through first, downstream, and then the powerboats queue up to go through upstream.* Let 2 get through and drop the bridge on the 3rd?

One would assume a little common sense should be exercised.* I guess that's what I get for making an assumption.
*I understand your point..but many bridges are under a lot of pressure to not open at all..so a tender is*probably instructed to follow proceedures and if the boats don't follow proceedures... they log it...so it can be shoved up our butts at a later date...
Old 02-23-2012, 09:26 AM   #25
Guru

City: Cary, NC
Vessel Name: Skinny Dippin'
Vessel Model: Navigator 4200 Classic

One time, the Alfred A. Cunningham Bridge in New Bern saw us coming and hailed US on Channel 13. "Skinny Dippin', is that you? Okay, we'll open for you when you get in range." :-D
Tom.B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2012, 09:27 AM   #26
Guru

Quote:
markpierce wrote:
Had a better experience at the Mare Island Causeway Bridge.** The bridge tender had raised the bridge for a boat several minutes ahead, but kept it open for me.* Now, if I had been in a vehicle waiting to cross the bridge ...
*As a commercial tower and often barge pusher...plus delivery captain between NJ and Florida...I have had pretty good luck with bridge tenders...

They get a little jittery during the spring/fall rush of snowbirds and the height of summer dipshi* traffic.

You sound polite, cooperative and patient on the radio...and they are usually (I said usually) very nice in return.

My favorite is the Alligator River Bridge along the ICW.* They have a high winds restriction and if you don't get through..boy it REALLY interupts your ICW plans.* The guys when you call them on the phone act like you are family they are so nice and cooperative.* Can't ask for more than that!!!
Old 02-23-2012, 09:31 AM   #27
Guru

I don't mind the thread drift on this because the initial post was tongue in cheek anyway...

A lot of misinfo on bridges as well as issues with road demons thinking their schedule should dictate those of us on the water that have beeen traveling that way since before revolutionary times!!!
Old 02-23-2012, 09:56 AM   #28
Guru

City: Everett Wa
Vessel Name: Eagle
Vessel Model: Roughwater 58 pilot house

I dont see how you can compare a trawler VS a SeaRay as they are to very different appearance, function and therefore buyers.* Its like comparing a mini van to a sports car.* Besides owing a ugly slow trawler, we have always owned faster run about because of the faster speed and increase range/ *
As for bridges, there are two bridges that have to be raised/lowered from the Puget Sound to Lake Washington with hundreds of boats and each bridge has thousand of cars each day.* During the high traffic hours they would let the boats pile up before opening the bridge and let them all though as it took more time to open and close the bridge as it did for the boats to go through.*
One of the first things I did after buying the big ugly trawler as to cut about 3 ft off the mast so we could make it under the bridges, as it was not worth the*aggravation and frustration having to wait.******
Phil Fill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2012, 10:01 AM   #29
Guru

Quote:
Phil Fill wrote:I dont see how you can compare a trawler VS a SeaRay as they are to very different appearance, function and therefore buyers.* Its like comparing a mini van to a sports car.* Besides owing a ugly slow trawler, we have always owned faster run about because of the faster speed and increase range/ *
As for bridges, there are two bridges that have to be raised/lowered from the Puget Sound to Lake Washington with hundreds of boats and each bridge has thousand of cars each day.* During the high traffic hours they would let the boats pile up before opening the bridge and let them all though as it took more time to open and close the bridge as it did for the boats to go through.*
One of the first things I did after buying the big ugly trawler as to cut about 3 ft off the mast so we could make it under the bridges, as it was not worth the*aggravation and frustration having to wait.******
You are correct...the big difference is cruisers versus dockominiums or daytrippers.*I know some Sea Ray guys that put trawler guys to shame as far as miles*underway every year as well as boating knowledge.* They just have the gas money to use and speed is more important to them.
Old 02-23-2012, 10:05 AM   #30
Guru

City: Hailing Port: Charleston, SC
Vessel Name: Moonstruck
Vessel Model: Sabre 42 Hardtop Express

Quote:
psneeld wrote:
My favorite is the Alligator River Bridge along the ICW.* They have a high winds restriction and if you don't get through..boy it REALLY interupts your ICW plans.* The guys when you call them on the phone act like you are family they are so nice and cooperative.* Can't ask for more than that!!!

*I was coming across Albemarle Sound with about a 5-6' following sea on my butt. *Making *25 knots, and it was too nasty to slow down. *I called the Alligator River bridge tender telling him my situation. *I said that I will be coming through with antannae and outriggers up. *He said," no problem Cap. Keep 'er coming". *The swing bridge was not open, so I called him again. *He said, "keep 'er coming". *I blasted through between the fenders at 25 knots riding a wave. *The bridge was swing open as I went through. *Those guys were great.**
Moonstruck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2012, 10:23 AM   #31
Guru

Quote:
Moonstruck wrote:psneeld wrote:

*I was coming across Albemarle Sound with about a 5-6' following sea on my butt. *Making *25 knots, and it was too nasty to slow down. *I called the Alligator River bridge tender telling him my situation. *I said that I will be coming through with antannae and outriggers up. *He said," no problem Cap. Keep 'er coming". *The swing bridge was not open, so I called him again. *He said, "keep 'er coming". *I blasted through between the fenders at 25 knots riding a wave. *The bridge was swing open as I went through. *Those are*guys great.**

*Maybe because they see so many of us and so many of us are reasonable and polite on the radio....either way...they do seem to be very cooperative!

Old 02-23-2012, 10:56 AM   #32
TF Site Team

City: San Mateo, CA
Vessel Name: Pineapple Girl II
Vessel Model: PT 35

Quote:
Moonstruck wrote:psneeld wrote:

*I was coming across Albemarle Sound with about a 5-6' following sea on my butt. *Making *25 knots, and it was too nasty to slow down. *I called the Alligator River bridge tender telling him my situation. *I said that I will be coming through with antannae and outriggers up. *He said," no problem Cap. Keep 'er coming". *The swing bridge was not open, so I called him again. *He said, "keep 'er coming". *I blasted through between the fenders at 25 knots riding a wave. *The bridge was swing open as I went through. *Those guys were great.**

Holy cow*that sounds like major pucker factor right there Don!!!*
Pineapple Girl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2012, 10:58 AM   #33
TF Site Team

City: San Mateo, CA
Vessel Name: Pineapple Girl II
Vessel Model: PT 35

this is so funny as we came close to buying a sea ray last month as a runabout for the delta but decided to spend the money getting our inverter installed.* They serve their purpose!* There is a very active sea ray owners group up on the delta with monthly cruises.*

Don't have much experiences with bridges yet!

Pineapple Girl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2012, 11:09 AM   #34
Guru

Quote:
rwidman wrote:

Who was with the current and who was against it?

I've only been in that situation once but it was one boat on the other side.* I was traveling with the current and the other boater let me pass first.

*Ron, it was high slack tide. *You can plainly see not a ripple on the surface, and how high the water is on the pilings. *They were on a SeaRay club cruise, and seemed to be afraid to let one boat run off and leave them. *When in a current situation, as a courtesy I will wait for the down current boat. *In fact, that was the situation on that particular trip at a bridge on the Adams Creek Canal. *I have known very responsible, knowledgable SeaRay drivers. *Unfortunately, it seems that 75% of them give the others a bad name.

We had a thread on passing sometime back. *I may try to find that discussion, and bring it back.
Old 02-23-2012, 11:09 AM   #35

City: Fort Lauderdale, FL
Vessel Model: I have keys to lots of boats...

Bridge tenders have poor jobs at a poor wage and they sit there all the time watching the rich boaters go by. Some of them, and overall it is a very limited anount of them, get to make us wait or have to follow their rules. But just like some tenders give you bad treatment I am sure that many more boaters give them poor treatment.

Sea Rays are great, they get new boaters to come to the water. Many trawler owners started with Sea Rays or Bayliners, it is rare that they start with a trawler as a first boat. So let's be nicer to those beginner boaters, yes watch them more carefully to be safe, but we were all beginners once.
yachtbrokerguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2012, 11:13 AM   #36
Guru

City: Sunset Beach, NC
Vessel Name: Polly P.
Vessel Model: Monk 36

Quote:
Moonstruck wrote:johnma wrote:
I always wondered why they run with the bow up like that. I've owned express cruisers over the years and could always bring the bow down with the tabs so I could see what was in front of me.
John
390 Mainship
*SeaRays aren't inherently bad. *I think one of the main problems is because they are flashy and attract many first time boat owners. *They don't seam to observe the rules.

If you will notice their front decks all slope forward. *That's because they are designed to run in a bow up attitude. *When on a SeaRay express what bothers me most is the windshield height. *If you stand to drive you have to stretch to see over the top of the windhield. *If you are sitting, the windshield top cuts across your field of view. *So I wind up crouching to get a clear view.

Here is a picture on the NC ICW. *The fact that I arrived at the bridge 15 minutes before a cruise of several SeaRays got to the other side, cut no ice with them .. They all pushed through before letting me through. *Of course they were struggling to get on plane as the went by me. *This is what gives SeaRays a bad name.

-- Edited by Moonstruck on Wednesday 22nd of February 2012 09:32:40 PM

*That is the old Sunset Beach Bridge.* It was notorious for the rude behavior when it opened.* Since it only opened once every hour there would always be 15-20 boats on either side, and invariably some of them felt like they could just go right down the middle and everyone else can just go screw.
Egregious is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2012, 11:14 AM   #37
JD
Guru

City: New Bern NC
Vessel Name: Stella Di Mare
Vessel Model: Mainship 34t
Trawler vs. Sea Ray Sundancer

Quote:
BaltimoreLurker wrote:The rudest bridge tender on earth works the drawbridge on our creek.* He almost dropped the bridge on us once as we were approaching.* "All astern" or we would have gotten hammered.
*I can see you have never been through the bridge at Surf City.* The lady (that may be a stretch) there is something else.* One day we were coming up the ICW*and there were three others right behind me as we approached.* I was in the lead and called for the opening which is on the hour only.* I said that*I and the three boats directly behind me would like an opening.* She in no uncertain terms told me that if that wanted through they would have to call on their own.* End of story.

This was the same person that just three days before would not open at 2:03 PM because I was three minutes late.* There was no 2:00 opening.* Did I mention it was on the hour only.

-- Edited by JD on Thursday 23rd of February 2012 12:18:50 PM
JD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2012, 11:17 AM   #38
Guru

Quote:
Pineapple Girl wrote:
Holy cow*that sounds like major pucker factor right there Don!!!*
*You are absolutely right, Jennifer. *The opening between the fenders is narrow leaving no room for error. *If you have ever seen the waves that can build in the Albemarle Sound and Alligator River, you will know that they are extremely steep. *The Alligator River is that section is wide and runs North to South. *The fetch of the wind is miles and miles. *Shallow tidal waters with allot of fetch can build up short steep waves very quickly. *The guys that operate those bridges are watermen them selves, and know what the problems are.
Old 02-23-2012, 11:28 AM   #39
Guru

City: Sunset Beach, NC
Vessel Name: Polly P.
Vessel Model: Monk 36

Quote:
yachtbrokerguy wrote:
Sea Rays are great, they get new boaters to come to the water. Many trawler owners started with Sea Rays or Bayliners, it is rare that they start with a trawler as a first boat. So let's be nicer to those beginner boaters, yes watch them more carefully to be safe, but we were all beginners once.
*I haven't heard anybody not being nice, including myself.* Just trying to show why a trawler is better than a Sundancer from my point of view.* Heck, I'll bet they look at eachother and shrug their shoulders as they fly by me saying "look at that kook in the ancient trawler...* how could that be as much fun as this!"
Egregious is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2012, 12:22 PM   #40
Master and Commander

City: Vallejo CA
Vessel Name: Carquinez Coot
Vessel Model: 2011 Seahorse Marine Coot hull #6

Quote:
Pineapple Girl wrote:
this is so funny as we came close to buying a sea ray last month as a runabout for the delta but decided to spend the money getting our inverter installed.* They serve their purpose!* There is a very active sea ray owners group up on the delta with monthly cruises.*

Don't have much experiences with bridges yet!

*Fortunately, the Coot came equipped with an inverter.* It's definitely handy.

Jennifer, get yourself up the Napa River so the Mare Island Causeway Bridge*can open for you.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	charger.jpg
Views:	54
Size:	254.3 KB
ID:	10271  

markpierce is offline   Reply With Quote