Old 03-08-2011, 06:47 PM   #1
Art
Guru

City: SF Bay Area
Vessel Model: Tollycraft 34' Tri Cabin
Tollycraft Classic Boats!

With interior layout, overall boat design and quality control by Robert Merland Tollefson, as well as specific hull and superstructure designs by Ed Monk Sr., 34 and 40 Tollycraft tri cabin trawlers present exceptional quality in hull design, interior building and finish parameters.* They are roomy, well appointed and comfortable as all get out!* Tollys are one of the most rugged and durably well constructed craft Ive seen.* We own a 1977 34 Tolly tri cabin and simply love it!* She cruises very nicely and stably at hull speed or below (5 to 7 knots), even in relatively uneasy sea conditions.* For economy purposes (up to 2 + knm per gal) our craft is easily propelled by either of her two inboard engines, used singularly.* When cruising slowly I run engines at one hour intervals; keeping hour usage in parallel as well as equally exercising each motor and enabling BW velvet drive transmissions to stay lubed, regarding the reverse freewheeling that occurs to the silent engines trany.* One beauty of a twin screw Tolly is that if you need to move quickly for any reason (13-16 kn planning speed / 20-21 kn at WOT) by utilizing both engines you sure can... but... at added fuel cost!* I recommend for anyone looking to locate a great all around fun and comfortable trawler/cruiser... the 34 or 40 Tollycraft tri cabin boats just might satisfy your many cruising requirements.

Definition:

Trawler Noun

1.****** A person who trawls
2.****** Any of various types of vessels used in fishing with a trawl net
3.****** Any of various types of vessels used for enjoyment cruising that are often or always moving at hull speed or below circa mid 20<sup>th</sup> Century and beyond
Origin: 1590-1600; trawl + er

Art is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2011, 08:28 PM   #2
Guru

City: Toms River
Vessel Name: D U E T T E
Vessel Model: 1996 36' Island Gypsy
RE: Tollycraft Classic Boats!

Art-- Tollys rule.

I have never heard anything bad about Tollycrafts. I understand they have great owner loyalty and almost cult status.

They do seem to have a greater presence on the West Coast.

I like the way you handle the twins for fuel conservation.*

Definately consider them a great choice in a*cruising boat.

The only twin screw gasser I would ever consider.

Nice boat.

JohnP*

JohnP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2011, 05:39 PM   #3

City: Squamish, B.C.
Vessel Name: Change of Heart
Vessel Model: Grand Banks 42

I've already picked out our next boat ...a 48' Tolly.
Boydster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2011, 06:02 PM   #4
Art
Guru

Art-- Tollys rule.

I have never heard anything bad about Tollycrafts. I understand they have great owner loyalty and almost cult status.

They do seem to have a greater presence on the West Coast.

I like the way you handle the twins for fuel conservation.

Definately consider them a great choice in a cruising boat.

The only twin screw gasser I would ever consider.

Nice boat.

JohnP
__________________________________________________ _______________________
Hi JohnP - TY for the nice words re Tollycraft boats

Yup - Tolly's are super nice boats! And, yes... Tolly Club is sort of like a cult! Heck of a helpful forum too. I was brought up in New England and spent most of my time on the ocean and IWW from NY to Maine; during the late 50s, 60s and early 70s. Then spent decades away from water... decided to go back into boats and researched boats for a couple years, as it had been a long, long time since knowing what builders/makes/models to choose from. Heck, half of my days growing up on the water was basically pre fiberglass and the other half was early fiberglass. I'd spent years traveling on and working in boat yards on woodies! So... once my early 21st Century research was complete: I bought a 1977 34 tri cabin Tollycraft and a 1973 31 sedan sport fisher Uniflite, within months of each other. Used both for a while... sold the Uni kept the Tolly! Uniflite is a real good boat... Tollycraft is simply a superb craft! Most Tolly are on the Nor West Coast because they were built in Washington. I've been aboard a lot of boats and when young even worked in the 70s for a new builder of fiberglass cruisers and yachts... wish I could have spent some time working at Tollycraft, there's a lot of heart and expertise they put into each of their Tollys. Chat more soon! - Art

-- Edited by Art on Wednesday 9th of March 2011 07:13:25 PM
Old 03-09-2011, 07:14 PM   #5
Grand Vizier

Quote:
Boydster wrote:

I've already picked out our next boat ...a 48' Tolly.
If so, you should check out the 48' for sale next to my slip - $229,000, which seems like a very good price to me....

Delfin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2011, 08:28 PM   #6
Art
Guru

Boydster wrote:
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I've already picked out our next boat ...a 48' Tolly
__________________________________________________ _________________

48' Tolly are great too. Before you purchase I suggest doing a search on Tollycraft Forum re 48' Tollycraft... lots of info on that site. When we decide to fully cruise the Pacific coast a 48' Tolly will surely be well researched as compared to other great boat builders. For cruising around SF Bay, in and out the Golden Gate Bridge, and deep into the Bay Delta's 1,100 miles of manmade retaining wall channels with thousands of small islands and many mini bays (with some of decent size) our Tolly 34' tri cabin fits just right! Art
Old 03-09-2011, 10:41 PM   #7
Master and Commander

City: Vallejo CA
Vessel Name: Carquinez Coot
Vessel Model: 2011 Seahorse Marine Coot hull #6

Quote:
Art wrote:
For cruising around SF Bay, in and out the Golden Gate Bridge, and deep into the Bay Delta's 1,100 miles of manmade retaining wall channels with thousands of small islands and many mini bays (with some of decent size) our Tolly 34' tri cabin fits just right! Art
Good to know a mid-thirty-foot boat will fit comfortably in the SF Bay/Delta area.

-- Edited by markpierce on Wednesday 9th of March 2011 11:52:58 PM
markpierce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2011, 09:27 AM   #8

City: Squamish, B.C.
Vessel Name: Change of Heart
Vessel Model: Grand Banks 42

Thanks Fellas'
Can't say I'm anywhere near ready to purchase yet, still in a drooling stage.
We'll likely hang on to our GB for another year or two; with just finishing a financially brutal winter and one daughter about to enter university, the funds are a little tight right now.
I still have some projects to finish on the GB before I could consider selling but we will eventually be Tollycraft owners. - Boyd

-- Edited by Boydster on Thursday 10th of March 2011 10:28:32 AM

-- Edited by Boydster on Thursday 10th of March 2011 10:29:11 AM
Boydster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2011, 12:09 PM   #9
Art
Guru

Quote:
markpierce wrote:

Good to know a mid-thirty-foot boat will fit comfortably in the SF Bay/Delta area.

Hey Mark - You coming into SF Delta?* It's a blast!* Talk about relaxing and fun!* Mid thirty foot boat is perf size for most delta locations.* Also, the depth in most chanels is*7 to 30+ feet... can get shallow out of chanel - must watch sounder around islands.**The main rivers are considerably deep - cargo ships cruise to Stockton, Sacramento and other ports*from SF Bay.***Swimming in warm fresh water is a blast!* Contact me via*private message if desired.* Ciao, Art
Old 03-10-2011, 12:23 PM   #10
Art
Guru

Quote:
Boydster wrote:

Thanks Fellas'
Can't say I'm anywhere near ready to purchase yet, still in a drooling stage.
We'll likely hang on to our GB for another year or two; with just finishing a financially brutal winter and one daughter about to enter university, the funds are a little tight right now.
I still have some projects to finish on the GB before I could consider selling but we will eventually be Tollycraft owners. - Boyd

Hi Boydster - I know about this brutal financial winter and tight cash... been there, done that!* LOL* I recomend you visit http://www.tolly-classified.com/*for Tolly boat*sale listings as well as other Tolly items.* Gordon Graham who owns it was decades the main purchasing agent for Tollycraft Corporation... great guy to chat with... he knows Tolly boats real well.* Yachtworld also has lots of Tolly ads.* With the economy still decending*I believe boat prices will get even more affordable... affordable that is if the buyer isn't decending in cash quicker than the seller is reducing the price!* Ain't life GRAND!!! And I mean it! - Cheers, Art* *
Old 11-20-2012, 08:19 PM   #11

City: hamilton
Vessel Name: dream catcher
Vessel Model: 34tollycraft/tricabin
tollycraft 34 tri cabin leaky aft star. window

i'm a new tolly owner and lov'in it , but the aft window along the star. side anybody ever pulled one out to repair it . thanks bill
bjeffery is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2012, 08:46 PM   #12
Enigma

City: Slicker?
Greetings,
Welcome aboard.
Old 11-20-2012, 10:22 PM   #13
Guru

City: Inside Passage Summer/Columbia River Winter
Vessel Name: Alaskan Sea-Duction
Vessel Model: 1988 M/Y Camargue YachtFisher
Welcome. Tollies were made in Kelso WA for a long time. A friend of mine was the interior designer and ship/mill wright for Tolly.

The only thing I didn't like about them is they only put gassers, no diesels. If you fine one with diesels, it has been repowered....
Blog: http://alaskanseaduction.blogspot.com/
Alaskan Sea-Duction is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2012, 10:38 PM   #14
Guru

City: Carefree, Arizona
Vessel Name: sunchaser V
Vessel Model: DeFever 48
It must be getting very cold in Alaska eh Seduction? Most Tolly 44s and virtually if not all 43s and 48s were diesel powered.
sunchaser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2013, 01:41 AM   #15
Guru

City: Calgary
Vessel Name: Blue Sky
Vessel Model: Nordic Tugs 42 Hull #001
Quote:
Originally Posted by Delfin View Post
If so, you should check out the 48' for sale next to my slip - $229,000, which seems like a very good price to me....

We're looking hard at Tollys for our next boat, and in fact checked out Summer Wind beside you. A bit tired for us, but a great layout and the fundamentals were certainly there.
The highlight of our tour, I have to say, was checking out Delphin - a very fine vessel!
Conrad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2013, 01:44 AM   #16
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by sunchaser View Post
It must be getting very cold in Alaska eh Seduction? Most Tolly 44s and virtually if not all 43s and 48s were diesel powered.
Most Tolly 43s were diesel powered, but as we are in the market I've found a single diesel 43 which apparently is quite rare, and a twin gasoline powered 43. A good candidate for a diesel repower, I'd think, depending on one's cruising plans.
Old 02-10-2013, 03:41 AM   #17
Guru

City: Seattle
Vessel Name: The Promise
Vessel Model: Roughwater 35
I'm a fan...

Old 03-14-2013, 11:11 PM   #18

City: Sechelt
Vessel Name: Kloshie Bay
Vessel Model: 32ft Brugaum wooden North sea trawler
Quote:
Originally Posted by Conrad View Post
Most Tolly 43s were diesel powered, but as we are in the market I've found a single diesel 43 which apparently is quite rare, and a twin gasoline powered 43. A good candidate for a diesel repower, I'd think, depending on one's cruising plans.
Never heard of a single diesel tolly 43, that would be rare! Is she on the west coast?
Bill Higgs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2013, 08:43 AM   #19
Guru

City: North Carolina for now
Vessel Name: Small Incentive
Vessel Model: Boston Whaler 130 Sport
Very rare, that's new to me too. I think after you see what a diesel repower costs all in and done right, you'll see you'd have to buy the hull very cheap for that to make sense, for a lot of people at least, vs buying a well maintained diesel boat.

Or first boat of any substance was a Tolly 1962 32 flybridge sedan we bought in the late 70's. What a fun boat for a couple of 20 somethings to goof around in with their friends on Lake Washington and environs. Helped my career a lot, every exec that came to Seattle got a boat ride. They even offered to move it for me to Chicago when I got promoted. Much disappointment when I decided not to, couldn't make sense out of owning a boat you couldn't use every day of the year.

"There's the Right Way, the Wrong Way, and what some guy says he's gotten away with"
caltexflanc is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2013, 02:29 AM   #20
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Higgs View Post
Never heard of a single diesel tolly 43, that would be rare! Is she on the west coast?
Yes she is; Nanaimo. In excellent shape; exceptional in fact. We offered but couldn't agree on a price. Only concern is the Detroit has 8700 hours.