Old 09-08-2012, 01:07 PM   #1

City: gilboa ny
sumnercraft 1961

was trying to get some info on a 1961 sumnercraft 30 ft downeaster. any info would be appreciated
nicksbar714 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2012, 01:19 PM   #2
Guru

City: Concrete Washington State
Vessel Name: Willy
Vessel Model: Willard Nomad 30'
I had one. 29' Express. What and why do you want to know.
Nomad Willy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2012, 01:25 PM   #3

sumnercraft

im going to look at one this tues in conn. repowered in 2005 lehman 135 just trying to get some general info on it not much out there other than they were built in amityville.
Old 09-08-2012, 01:52 PM   #4

whatever info u have would be apprecitated its lis ted on craigslist eastern conn search downeaster
Old 09-08-2012, 10:01 PM   #5
Guru

nick,
It's one of the most interesting boats I've ever seen from a design and engineering point of view. One of the most interesting features is the shape of the trailing edge of the keel and the keel is not lacking in intrigue either. The keel is big and and integral part of the hull. The next part IS the most unique part. Almost ALL of the engine is down INSIDE the keel. The propeller shaft is horizontal. The boat runs beautifully at about 10 or 12 knots and will cruise at 15 all day. It's kinda like a torpedo attached to the bottom of a boat.
Next ... const. A true sandwich hull. FG/1" Douglass Fir/FG. It's very strong and light and efficient. You'll need to find someone who can determine if there's any rot in the Fir core. Check the cabin and decks.
All the above is re my 29 Express and there are other models. Some or one is a double end motorsailer about 33'. FF would LOVE that one. It does 18 knots.
I'd probably love to have my Sumnercraft back.
Good luck on what you find.
Old 09-09-2012, 05:45 AM   #6
FF
Guru

"It's kinda like a torpedo attached to the bottom of a boat."

If you want to see this carried out to a great conclusion (its called a box keel) take a look at the line of interesting boats by Atkin.

His box keel, reverse deadrise config was waybn ahead of its time in mant ways.

A tiny example , with amazing performance is ,
Rescue Minor - Robb White

Robb White, Boatbuilder and Author of How to Build a Tin Canoerescue.minor.html

The larger "River Belle" slimmed to trailerable and 1/2 the stock weight in aluminum is one of my dream shapes.

FF
FF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2012, 09:14 AM   #7
Guru

FF,
Yea Atkin's calles them a "Seabright" skiff or whatever. The Sumnercraft takes the concept a lot farther. Have you ever seen a Sumnercraft out of the water? The keel is much deeper than the "Seabright" Atkins boats. Also there's not a hard line or crease in the SC hull unlike the Atkin's SB series. Seem to be the same concept but very different. In my SC the bottom of the oil pan of the engine was over 2' below the WL.

nick,
I have some pics of my old SC but they are not Digital. If you can get some pics of the SC hauled out to show the guys here .. would be interesting. Or if your camera's good take some pics of his pics. Also ask him why it needed to be repowered. With the engine so deep in the hull ther'e at risk of ingesting seawater into the engine and even sinking. The exhaust goes almost straight into the engine w the engine so low in the hull. Not good. Mine sank on the PO's watch but seemed not to have suffered at all from the sinking. Was hanging on her mooring lines as I recall the story. It was repowered w the Sabre engine. I was very lucky in that regard.
Old 09-09-2012, 09:43 AM   #8

pretty sure its a 29 1/2 express. i think the motorsailers were 67 thru 69 then in the 70 s made sailboats up to 22ft. thanks for the info. what motor was boat equiped with.in their ad for the 61 they claimed it to be the safest family boat
Old 09-09-2012, 09:49 AM   #9

i stand corrected the motosailer option was available in 61 they claim it was capable of ocean crossings
Old 09-09-2012, 02:50 PM   #10
Guru

nick,
Not sure the original engine. I think per brochure it was 96hp. Seems to me it was a 330 cu in version of a predecessor to the Ford block that the Lehman used. Something that starts w "B" comes to mind. Was a 6 cyl.
That's what I had was a 29.5' Express. Has a very nice looking cabin and bridge house. Even the shapes of the windows are nice. Transom is quite curved. Very low windage and like a sailboat in some ways. Unfortunately the visibility from within the fwd cabin is more like a sailboat.
Old 09-10-2012, 04:55 AM   #11
FF
Guru

There is a 36 at my dock, which I understand was sold with an 8V71w when new.

She was used in Europe and sailed back to the states later.Now has 150 or so Perkins

With 300+ hp the boat could run 15-18K , so a bust exec or Md could sail a weekend and still get home on time.

Cut down sail rig , probably needs 15K to move.

These are wooden boats with a layer of GRP on the outside , and require the same rebeding as any encapsulated boat , constant maint to avoid ROT>
FF is offline   Reply With Quote