Old 11-01-2013, 06:46 PM   #2
Guru

City: San Diego
Vessel Name: "Sandpiper"
Vessel Model: 2006 42' Ocean Alexander Sedan
Quote:
Originally Posted by Poach View Post
Any Sabreline Fast Trawlers out there?
I can't wait for the responses on this post. ()

My passion for improving my boat(s) exceeds my desire to constantly cruise them.
Codger2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2013, 08:04 PM   #3
Master and Commander

City: Vallejo CA
Vessel Name: Carquinez Coot
Vessel Model: 2011 Seahorse Marine Coot hull #6
Looks like the typical express cruiser. Looks like a fine boat, but have no personal or hearsay experience with the boat.
Old 11-01-2013, 08:38 PM   #4
Guru

City: Saint Augustine, Fl.
......Wait for it......Wait for it.......anyone seen Capt Don? Maybe he got Moonstruck while trick or treating.
Sailor of Fortune is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2013, 09:04 PM   #5

City: N. Kingstown, R.I.
Vessel Name: Harmony
Vessel Model: 36' sabreline fast trawler
1989 36' "fast" trawler, hull #1, fast being a relative term. Back in the day sabreline came out with the 36' & 43' fast trawlers. Basically aft cabin semi-deep v hull (14 deg. Dead rise at stern)' high end boats made in Maine. Bought mine 3 years ago, twin DD 8.2t engines. Nice classic cruisers, well laid out and equipped. Solid boat, we're very happy with ours. With a strong wind on the stern, a moon ebb tide and skinny people on board, we will hit 20 knots before running out of fuel. We usually cruise at 8 kts., 2 nmg.
dach side is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2013, 09:24 PM   #6

Mark pierce: the express style, like moonstruck, came out about the same time sabreline did away with the "fast" trawlers (1995) when Sabre sold the molds to an English outfit. At that time they were producing the 36' & 47' "trawlers", because the term trawler connoted a roomy, slow boat, rather than a fairly fast cruiser. See my avatar.
Old 11-02-2013, 12:40 AM   #7

1991 - 36 fast trawler. We've had for five years in PNW. Detroit 8.2's with 4100 hours. We have enjoyed...well made, lots of room. Slow or fast...both run out fine.
dbles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2013, 12:52 AM   #8
TF Site Team

City: California Delta and SF Bay
Vessel Name: FlyWright
Vessel Model: Marshall Californian 34 LRC
Nice looking boat, Dach Side.

Drove one from 1986 to 1989. At the time, it was the fastest thing I'd ever driven but I wouldn't call it a trawler. Back then we called them SaberlineRs.

Where's that Moonman when you need him? Trick-or-treat candy-induced coma?

Custom Google Trawler Forum Search
FlyWright is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2013, 07:52 AM   #9
Guru

City: Hailing Port: Charleston, SC
Vessel Name: Moonstruck
Vessel Model: Sabre 42 Hardtop Express
OK guys, you've had your fun with this. (note: they think fast trawler is an oxymoron).

Walt, you started this. Now, tell me a little flexibility in speed is a bad thing. (keep in mind that you are on record in the archives).

Actually, the Sabreline cruisers were very nice boats. Had a friend that sold a 34' last year that was an absolutely great boat. Ask Baker. It was a boat that I would have been proud to own.

Poach, never mind them, they don't bite. Glad to have another Sabre on board. If they don't behave, we'll just form our own Sabre section.
http://moonstruckblog.wordpress.com/
Moonstruck is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2013, 07:59 AM   #10

Dales: "we have enjoyed........well, made lots of room". What have you done?Flywright, thank you
Old 11-02-2013, 10:17 AM   #11
TF Site Team

City: League City, Tx
Vessel Model: Carver 356
Quote:
Originally Posted by Moonstruck View Post

Actually, the Sabreline cruisers were very nice boats. Had a friend that sold a 34' last year that was an absolutely great boat. Ask Baker. It was a boat that I would have been proud to own.D
He never would give me a price and I figured the boat to be about a $200k boat....which it was. So I just wrote it off as not being able to afford it. And then he listed it at $129k and it was under contract in less than a day....or at least within the day I noticed it. While I never made him an offer...my mistake....the boat was well out of my price range at its FMV...I could've swung 129k. Oh well, such is life!!!! It was a super sweet boat for sure!!!
Baker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2013, 10:51 AM   #12
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moonstruck View Post
Walt, you started this. Now, tell me a little flexibility in speed is a bad thing. (keep in mind that you are on record in the archives).
I haven't changed my thinking as to speed one bit. I still would love to have a boat that I could drive at 8-10 knots but also 20+ when needed. (Or desired) Again (per the archives) If I were a "cruiser" I would have a boat like "Moonstruck." (Whew! )

My passion for improving my boat(s) exceeds my desire to constantly cruise them.
Old 11-04-2013, 01:53 PM   #13

City: Seattle
Vessel Name: Poach
Vessel Model: Sabreline Trawler
Amos Parker Pentz (December 11, 1849 – December 11, 1922) was a Canadian shipbuilder from Shelburne, Nova Scotia. He was noted for his fast and innovative designs of fishing schooners and trawlers.
He was born in Beach Meadow, Queens County, Nova Scotia, to Martin Pentz and Eliza Jane Maxwell. From a young age, Pentz had always taken a strong interest in ships. As he became older, his passion for ships turned into his livelihood. The combination of his talent for woodwork, and knowledge of ships, created a foundation for a lifetime of success in his field of work. He began his career in 1872 as an itinerant ship builder. He slowed his career down briefly around 1891 when he married Annie Matthews (on October 24th, 1891). Pentz and his family eventually moved on to Shelburne to continue his work with shipbuilding. He was employed at the Joseph McGill Ship Yard, where he set a new example for what skills a master ship builder should have.
Over is lifetime he produced an impressive one hundred and forty-one ships. In 1901 the Harbinger was built, and in 1902 the Messenger was completed, both of these ships were steam trawlers, and were the first steam powered fishing vessels build at these docks. The Arbutus, built in 1903, was the first auxiliary powered fishing schooner built in the province of Nova Scotia. In 1908, and then 1910, the Albert J. Lutz and Dorothy M. Smart were built. These two ships were renowned for their remarkable speed and celebrated by authors such as Frederick William Wallace. Both latter vessels competed for the Britain Cup in Nova Scotia’s fisherman’s regatta, which was held in Digby, Nova Scotia in 1911.[1]
Not only was he a fine ship builder, but he also was an inspiring mentor to James Havelock Harding who grew to become another one of Shelburne’s best ship builders, he eventually moved to the United States to continue his career. Amos Pentz died December 11th, 1922.
Just thought I would share the above story. I guess back in the day, speed and trawler could be used in the same sentence. Of course, speed was likely a relative term.

Anyway, thanks to the Sabres for getting back to me. My wife and I just purchased a 1992 with twin Cats (3116s). I like the choice of running slow or getting out of the way when necessary. I have a couple of minor concerns and some questions.
The Stb. engine requires a long turnover before it starts--maybe 10-15 sec whereas the port turns over in 5 or less. Is this normal? It's not battery as far as I can tell.
The boat has 3 watertanks aft--one between the stringers and 2 under the masterbunk. The manual says that the tanks should be filled carefully to avoid buildup of air pressure. I have never had this suggested in our 5 prior boats. Any experience with that?
The salon layout has the L-shaped galley on the starboard aft. The fridge is on the port just aft of the salon/deck door. The fridge is a Norcold-and actually is cold but in pretty sore shape. Would like to replace it. There is a Vitrifrigo that fits the same footprint. Any experience with that?

So far so good on everything else. I know I will have other questions.

Poach
Poach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2013, 02:06 PM   #14
TF Site Team

City: League City, Tx
Vessel Model: Carver 356
Thanks for sharing the story. As far as the hard to start Cat.... ANd I say this from my general knowledge of diesels with no experience of Cat 3116s. But, NO, it is not normal for it to take that long to start. It could be something as simple as glow plugs(if they even use those). It could be bad injectors...although there would be other symptoms like smoke and a slick on the water from the exhaust. Or it could be that it is 0 degrees F. In which case it could be normal if they are dead cold. BUT, the most likely cause and I hate to tell you this, is poor compression. Compression is what makes our diesels burn fuel. And if compression is not there, then the diesel doesn't burn...ie hard to start. This is something that should have been addressed in the survey and pre purchase due diligence. A hard to start diesel is a HUGE red flag during the pre purchase process.

One thing you could do is start it up cold and hold your hand over the oil filler opening(with the cap off). If you feel air "puffing" out of that hole, then you are losing compression in at least one cylinder. That is called "blow by" and it is not a good thing. I think a member on here referred to this as "coughing up blood"...and sadly, it is an excellent analogy.

Check all of your fluids and make sure they are not "mingling". ie....no diesel in the oil...no oil in the coolant...no coolant in the oil. In which case it would be a head gasket issue.

Also, check the serial numbers on your engine and reference it with a Cat dealer. The 3116 had a batch of engines that were bad...they called them "soft blocks" that were cast by a French company using poor alloys. Most of these engines were fixed by Cat under warranty. I have no clue if there are still some bad ones out there.

Sorry for all of the doom and gloom. I hope it is not the worst case scenarios that I am posting above!!
Baker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2013, 04:10 PM   #15
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Baker View Post
The 3116 had a batch of engines that were bad...they called them "soft blocks" that were cast by a French company using poor alloys.
I had a brand new Tiara in 2000 that had a pair of 3116s in it. Not only did I have trouble with those engines, they had a mid throttle "wine" to them that I never did get an answer to.

Take the boat to a good Cat dealer and have them do a thorough check out.

Good Luck!

Old 11-04-2013, 05:02 PM   #16

To relieve the referred to water pressure, just loosen all three caps to prevent any buildup when filling. Works on ours!
dbles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2013, 07:30 PM   #17

City: Seattle
Vessel Name: Poach
Vessel Model: Sabreline Trawler
Thanks Baker and Seahorse. The engines are not in the soft-block group. I don't think it's a compression issue, but will check that out. I know all engines have the quirks and shortcomings, so don't worry that you shared gloom and doom with me--it all works out how it works out.
Poach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2013, 07:48 PM   #18
Guru

City: Hailing Port: Charleston, SC
Vessel Name: Moonstruck
Vessel Model: Sabre 42 Hardtop Express
Poach, check to make certain your fuel system is not pulling just a little air. I have had air bubbles accumulate in the tops of the fuel filters when that happened. It would take a little longer to pull the fuel up.
http://moonstruckblog.wordpress.com/
Moonstruck is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2013, 07:55 PM   #19
Master and Commander

City: Vallejo CA
Vessel Name: Carquinez Coot
Vessel Model: 2011 Seahorse Marine Coot hull #6
Try priming the "bad" engine before starting. My JD starts in a second unless there is air in the line.
Old 05-14-2014, 09:39 PM   #20

City: Spooners Creek, NC
Vessel Name: Moonshine III
Getting close on a 36 Sabre

We have agreed on price, Survey is Thursday. 5-?/13-14. I'll let all know on what turns up.

budzuk is offline   Reply With Quote