Old 04-24-2018, 08:21 AM   #81
Guru

City: Sarasota,FL/Thomasville,GA
Vessel Name: Steppin Stone IV
Vessel Model: Marine Trader Kelly Trawler 46
Send a message via Skype™ to siestakey
Quote:
Originally Posted by TimButterfield View Post
The Roughwater 36, Cape Star, mentioned earlier, now has a new owner and new home. I took delivery of her yesterday.
Congrats more pictures please

Old 04-24-2018, 08:50 AM   #82
TF Site Team

City: Paris,TN
Vessel Name: William
Vessel Model: Outer reef 32
Congratulations Tim . That’s a good looking Roughwater. I really like the dark hull.

Old 04-24-2018, 02:57 PM   #83
Guru

City: LaConner
Vessel Model: 34' CHB
So is this one as well?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_4671.jpg
Views:	74
Size:	155.7 KB
ID:	75530  
78puget-trawler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2018, 03:34 PM   #84
Veteran Member

City: Anacortes, WA
Vessel Name: Cape Star
Vessel Model: Roughwater 36
Thanks everyone.

Quote:
Originally Posted by siestakey View Post
Congrats more pictures please
I have created a Flickr photo album for Cape Star. So far, it only has the picture posted above. But, I will be slowly adding more pictures as I get to use it.
TimButterfield is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2018, 03:43 PM   #85
Veteran Member

City: Anacortes, WA
Vessel Name: Cape Star
Vessel Model: Roughwater 36
Quote:
Originally Posted by 78puget-trawler View Post
So is this one as well?
That looks like a 36, but with a flybridge added. It doesn't have the aft cabin of the larger models (or the 35). The windows of the trunk cabin look like the 36 and don't go as far back as on the 37.
TimButterfield is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2018, 08:38 AM   #86
Guru

City: Port Townsend
Vessel Name: The Promise
Vessel Model: Roughwater 35
Quote:
Originally Posted by TimButterfield View Post
That looks like a 36, but with a flybridge added. It doesn't have the aft cabin of the larger models (or the 35). The windows of the trunk cabin look like the 36 and don't go as far back as on the 37.
dhmeissner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2018, 09:15 AM   #87
Guru

Back in the water...

Leaving Boat Haven
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	A9C1AE16-CD97-4E50-BAEE-1A44B1EF4F38.jpg
Views:	53
Size:	153.0 KB
ID:	77510  
Old 06-16-2018, 10:04 AM   #88
Guru

City: Port Townsend, WA
Vessel Name: Traveler
Vessel Model: Cheoy Lee 46 LRC
Congrats on splashing, Dave! It was nice to meet you yesterday. I’ll miss walking past your boat in the yard. She’s really a beauty! Hope to run into you “out there”...
https://www.pacificnwboatertested.com
Moonfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2018, 02:50 AM   #89
Guru

Thanks Darren,

Likewise. We are hoping to enjoy the boat while we are building our house in PT.

Dave
Old 05-02-2019, 02:22 PM   #90

City: Bradenton, FL
I am currently looking at two Roughwater 41s, both with single-turbo (non-intercooled) Detroit 8.2Ls.

Does anyone have the actual experience on what the top speed should be?
I am also looking for actual fuel burn at hull speed (~8 knots) and cruise speed (~7 knots).

I am not a fan of the 8.2L at all, and one of the boats is cheap enough to consider repowering (if the structure is still good, I haven't been aboard yet to check for rot) if/when the engine dies. Is there enough room to squeeze a Cat 3208, DD 6-71, or Cummins 5.9L under the floors?

Does anyone know which model Twin-Disc gear was used behind the 8.2Ls, and what the ratio might be?
1981Seafarer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2019, 02:57 PM   #91
Guru

City: Bellingham WA
Vessel Name: Hatt Trick
Vessel Model: 45' Hatteras Convertible
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1981Seafarer View Post
I am currently looking at two Roughwater 41s, both with single-turbo (non-intercooled) Detroit 8.2Ls.

I am also looking for actual fuel burn at hull speed (~8 knots) and cruise speed (~7 knots).

I am not a fan of the 8.2L at all, and one of the boats is cheap enough to consider repowering (if the structure is still good, I haven't been aboard yet to check for rot) if/when the engine dies. Is there enough room to squeeze a Cat 3208, DD 6-71, or Cummins 5.9L under the floors?

Does anyone know which model Twin-Disc gear was used behind the 8.2Ls, and what the ratio might be?
A friend has this boat with a single 8.2. I'll ask him about top speed and fuel consumption.

On the 8.2 Detroit, much has been written on it at boatdiesel.com, mostly negative as I recall. In fairness, though, the owner I reference above likes the engine and has run it trouble-free for at least 20 years. Another boat on my dock has twin 8.2's and he likes them. So.....opinions very greatly on it. I can't help you on whether the other engines you mention would fit in its place. The DD and Cummins may be too long, being straight 6's.
Old 05-02-2019, 09:28 PM   #92
Guru

City: Fort Pierce
Vessel Name: Florita Ann
Vessel Model: 1982 Present
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1981Seafarer View Post

Though I never owned one, a close friend has. First.... That 8.2 is ok.... initially see to it is healthy, after that, maintain it, put fresh oil coolers on both the borg warner trans and engine, keep the others for spares. Check your heat exchanger and elbow. Gonna be in BFE then also pull turbo and have rebuilt. Get a BFE spares if you want to be extra careful. A spare starter and alternator would not hurt.

Why worry about top end and fuel usage... no big deal. The hull is basically a very well built, 8-9-10 knot full displacement hull. That is what you are going to live with...ainít bad. The 8.2 has some warts, but which engine does not? Repowering is a bitch and almost always not worth it. Certainly not for a 6-71 or a 3208. 5.9, Ford L, John Deere all would argue better than an 8.2 but by the time the re-engineering, shafting, propping takes place you and your pocketbook will be begging for that 8.2. Spend the money on refrigeration, solar, windows and best of all anchor and chain or dancing girls..... afterthought, the tanks can be an issue, still though you have a HUGE engine room, so Pretty easy compared to twins. No need to saw the side out of the boat or pull engine(s).
Mule is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2019, 10:22 PM   #93

City: Seattle
Vessel Name: Antares
Vessel Model: Canoe Cove 42 Sedan
I have a Canoe Cove with 8.2s. Those were not my first choice but after a couple of years I have no complaints. Running at 1600 rpm I'm using about 3.5 gallons per hour for both. We are approaching 4000 hours on the engines with no indication of major problems. The one thing to watch is temperature. These engines don't tolerate overheating. Some parts are getting hard to source is the other issue.

My plan for repower, should it become necessary is Cummins 5.9s of equivalent or slightly more hp. Per a diagram I saw the Cummins 3 inches longer from the prop flange and 1/4 inch taller.

if the 8.2 in the Roughwater has been maintained and serviced it could be a good package. With a good service history and an engine survey you could end up with a reliable engine package for sometime.
Antares is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2019, 08:37 AM   #94

City: Tampa, FL
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mule View Post
The hull is basically a very well built, 8-9-10 knot full displacement hull.
Exactly. Trying to push this boat significantly faster is only going to be an exercise in wasting fuel. Monk knew what he was doing when he designed this boat. He put a single, moderate-hp engine in it for a reason. If 8-9 knots is not fast enough for you, then the Roughwater 41 is not the boat you want.
denverd0n is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2019, 08:33 AM   #95

City: Santa Cruz
Vessel Name: Carmelita
Vessel Model: Kelly Peterson 44
New Roughwater 41 owner checking in

Hello swabbies!
Just purchased Voyager, a Roughwater 41 we'll keep in Anacortes for cruising the beautiful Pacific NW! The longtime owner (guy who loved his boat and took it to Alaska numerous times) I hope to meet one day to swap stories and learn all the nuances of Voyager.
He was the owner before the person I bought the boat from, who basically used her as a condo as he lived in Hawaii. Our plan is to cruise the heck out of her!
The more I learn of the class, the more I like them. She's a single screw, was repowered 20 years ago to the Perkins Sabre engine (225 hp turbo) but only has 2,500 hours on the engine. Boat's in great shape, just has some minor cosmetic concerns and I'll upgrade her electronics to newer as I sort out what exactly I want.
Hope to connect with other Roughwater owners while in the NW!
PJ Crusing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2019, 08:52 AM   #96
Enigma

City: Slicker?
Greetings,
Welcome aboard.