A Pleasant Surprise Boat at Trawler Fest

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Vessel Name
Bucky
Vessel Make
Krogen Manatee 36 North Sea
I dropped by the Trawler Fest in Ft. Lauderdale today, and while looking at the enormous new Krogens, Flemings, Solos, Nordhavns, Tugs, etc., I came across a reasonable boat that I hadn't seen before (Selene 36), and it was really a pleasant surprise. Yes, it's 36 ft., but truly something well thought out. I've included a link below of the boat I actually saw, but the photos don't do it justice. They say every boat is a compromise, and this one is no different, but outside of the Great Harbour N-37 and Krogen 39, it has the absolute best engine room for any under 40 design I've ever seen. 5' height, walk-in door (and also a hatch entry from the salon), and I could actually walk around the engine, stooped perhaps, but walking. Check out the engine room photos on the link. So well organized.

Of course, for that price, I could get into a Krogen 39, but it was good to see the ideas and layout of this boat. Hardware, fit and finish, etc. was great.

View Boat Photos - YachtWorld.com

Last edited by a moderator:
Nice boat i guess but I could buy almost three nice Mainship 390's for $350,000.

Greetings,
Mr. hh. It IS refreshing to see an ER on that size of boat you can work in without kissing your navel. Difficult to tell but it seems your head may be under the overhang when lying in the master berth. NOT conducive to remaining conscious if one tries to sit up suddenly. As mentioned $350K....

Lovely vessel. I've always been impressed by the fit and finish of the Selenes. The 53 is my boat to die for now, but that 36er is pretty damned nice, and seems huge for its size.

Selene IS a very beautiful and (IMO) underrated vessel. There's a 58' on our dock that is just a masterpiece- and is about 1/2 the price of a contemporary Grand Banks, Nordhavn, etc.

To see what a Selene is truly capable of, check out this blog- A 48' Selene that went from Seattle to French Polynesia and beyond:

Home: Furthur Adventure FURTHUR ADVENTURE...

I'm a fan, for sure.

I love the Selene 36's. I tried to buy a used one before we bought our present boat. The fit and finish is great. There was just something almost perfect about the design, in my opinion. I liked the boat better than the bigger Selene's that I've been on.
The owner wouldn't budge on the price (it was 2007), and I felt there was a big depreciation event coming. I saw it still on the market about 4 years later. I'm not sure that it ever sold.
Lyle

Nice.....

It looks great to me, just one thing I find odd. On the first picture of the series, the one of her one underway it seems to be pushing a lot of water at the bow. I'm not sure why it looks odd to me. Am I seeing things?
Steve W

Nice boat i guess but I could buy almost three nice Mainship 390's for $350,000.
Pluto

Right on the money. Selene should cost at least 3x Mainship.

It looks great to me, just one thing I find odd. On the first picture of the series, the one of her one underway it seems to be pushing a lot of water at the bow. I'm not sure why it looks odd to me. Am I seeing things?
Steve W

I like the Selene's. Almost bought a 43 when they first came out. The few 36s I have seen seam to all be trimmed a little down a bit by the bow. It could be fuel loading or something.

Steve W wrote;

"It looks great to me, just one thing I find odd. On the first picture of the series, the one of her one underway it seems to be pushing a lot of water at the bow. I'm not sure why it looks odd to me. Am I seeing things?"

Yea your'e see'in a boat out of trim. She's bow down to be sure. Probably has empty tanks in the stern and heavy ground tackle or worse. Worst case is that she could be manufactured that way. I'd not like to be on board in following seas. Definitely a "puncher" by Marks question awhile back. Lots of windage so probably needs thrusters everywhere but the engine room does sound VERY nice. My 30' boat is better than most 30' boats but some chores are BAAD.

I'm surprised you guys like her but I know little of boats of this type.

Last edited:
Boat?? what boat??? Couple of those videos are alright tho!. The chick diving in the thong is a good lookin bit of kit not to mention the four ladies frolicking around in the mud baths lol :-D

That's why they cost three times what a Mainship does. Having a Mainship I know first hand.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom