Old 12-16-2012, 12:06 PM   #1
Guru

City: Victoria TX
Vessel Name: Bijou
Vessel Model: 2008 Island Packet PY/SP
PDQ vs Fountain Pajot

Still on my boat search. No luck on my Mainship 390 offers yet.

Anyone here have any experience with power cats for coastal cruising and Bahamas? Any thoughts about these two brands? The PDQs are more expensive for a shorter boat (32 vs 35-37' on the fountain Pajot)

They seem to be fast and fuel efficient and have good interior space. Docking could be an issue I would think-- too wide for the covered slips at my marina for instance. They are also more expensive than the Mainships I have been looking at.

What are the other plusses and minuses?
cardude01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2012, 02:43 PM   #2
CW
Veteran Member

City: Fort Myers, FL
Vessel Name: Tortuga
Vessel Model: Kadey-Krogen 42-125
Cardude

For a lot of information on PDQ powercats, check out: SnoDogLog - Home

Henry has detailed information on ownership and operation of his 34. That should get you started.

I have met a number of owners, all loved their boats and some travel to the Bahamas each year. We considered a PDQ for a while, we couldn't get past the crawl over bunks, but plenty of others have. Currently, we have a deal pending on a Krogen 42, so we went a completely different direction.

Good Luck
Chris
CW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2012, 04:44 PM   #3
Guru

City: Victoria TX
Vessel Name: Bijou
Vessel Model: 2008 Island Packet PY/SP
Crawl over bunks vs an island queen setup?
cardude01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2012, 05:34 PM   #4
CW
Veteran Member

City: Fort Myers, FL
Vessel Name: Tortuga
Vessel Model: Kadey-Krogen 42-125
Of course the PDQ has two crawl over queens in separate staterooms, if that works for you. 15 knots burning 5 to 6 gal/hr sounds great.
CW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2012, 08:14 PM   #5
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by CW View Post
Currently, we have a deal pending on a Krogen 42.

Good Luck
Chris
twiisted71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2012, 07:51 AM   #6
dvd

City: California Bay Area
Vessel Name: BOOSTER
Vessel Model: Nordic Tug 37
We bought a PDQ 34 a month or so ago and have been living aboard, moving south down the ICW from Annapolis to Stuart, FL where the boat will stay a couple of months while we tend to other business then head over to the Bahamas in Feb or March. The bunks were a compromise in buying the boat, but we feel it is worth it. The boat is incredibly smooth, stable, fast and economical. Engine work is a bit of a challenge due to space limitations, but do-able. On the trip south we anchored, primarily, but did dock at a few marinas, either side tie to long docks, end tie on T-heads or in a slip (some are wide enough for the 16'10" beam). One does have to be quite mobile as you are always going up and down steps in the interior, but we consider that as part of our exercise routine. There is an excellent support network for the PDQs on the East Coast.
dvd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2012, 12:10 PM   #7
Moderator Emeritus

City: San Jose, CA
Vessel Name: Pineapple Girl 3
Vessel Model: Silverton 38c
There is a PDQ, 34 a believe?, in my old marina in San Mateo. Purchased a few years back, shortly before PDQ changed hands or went out of business or whatever happened to it... The owner took delivery at the factory (on the great lakes??) went through the locks to the east coast somewhere then down to Florida where it was put on a transport ship... Several friends of mine took part in legs of the journey south and enjoyed the ride. the boat is fast, super fuel efficient and comfortable, if you don't mind all the steps and the berth set up. I have heard the boat will be for sale soon, probably to be replaced with a nordic tug due the owner's desire for fewer steps (health issues).
San Francisco Bay Area
Pineapple Girl is offline   Reply With Quote