Old 11-18-2015, 04:42 PM   #1
Veteran Member
City: New York
Nova Trawler Company

Just looking for some feedback, I have always been a fan of recycling, repurposing a carpenter my first house was put together using primarily old, reclaimed, and discarded building material, customers in my area frequently will rip out barely used items (windows, doors, cabinets) and replace with new. This line of thinking got me to thinking about the many old retired fishing trawlers that have been left for dead. While researching I came across the NOVA TRAWLER COMPANY, they take old vessels strip them down and rebuild from the bottom up. Some of these old boats I would think have worked the North Atlantic for years would have some very sea worthy attributes. Has anyone persued this as an option for your own boat?

Genecop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2015, 04:54 PM   #2
City: Saint Augustine, Fl.
Nova had a 40'Novi (ex comm fish longliner) that was built by Covey Island in the early 90's or so. It was epoxy covered at original construction. Nova surveyed it and replaced several planks and other repairs. It was stripped of rigging and fish gear ready for trawler/cruiser conversion. These types of boats take a very specific buyer who wants that type of build and has the cash to hire the yard to finish it out. I haven't followed up on it in several years , so I don't know if it sold or not. The new Nova 35 trawlers seem to try to fill a niche vacated by Monk 36 (although faster). One was on YW for short money a couple of years ago that was simply set up with no gen set and very few hours on her Cummins engine. I was amazed nobody snatched her up.
Sailor of Fortune is offline   Reply With Quote