North Sea Trawler

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Loafer

Howdy,
I own a Seeley designed trawler and am trying to find out a little more about her. She is a 1971 Japaneses built 48ft trawler. She is a "North Sea-48". I'm not sure if it was built by what later became Pacific Trawler or not. Any one have any info his designs during that time? Any info will be appreciated!!

Ric.

Hi Ric. From the information I have acquired over the years, Newport Motor Yacht built a number of wood boats to Seeley's designs, most in Japan from 1969 to 1972. I have heard of at least 3 boats in the 48' range, and maybe 8 boats or so around 38'.

I have been onboard a wood North Sea 38, and it is very similar to the fiberglass Pacific Trawler 37, with slightly less beam. In 1973, Pacific Trawler Corp started building Pacific Trawler 37's from a mold at Costa Mesa, CA. Although some of the early literature hinted at a 47' model, I don't believe that any fiberglass 47's were ever built.

Pacific Trawler Corp built around 20 37's in California from 1973 to 1976 before going out of business. A single 37 was built in 1979 in Marysville, WA, and a new Pacific Trawler Corp started building from the original 37' mold in 1996 through 2003 in Bellingham/Laconner after a run of around 35 boats. Some of the later boats were pushed out to 40'.

Maybe others can comment if they have heard of, or seen, other North Sea 47's. J

Jay,
I recall seeing a 48' Seeley designed wood hulled trawler (PT/North Sea?) on Yachtworld last year. It was located in San Diego and appeared to be in very good condition.

Back
Top Bottom