North Pacific Yachts

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I was aboard a Helmsman 38 at the Miami Show. Nice access at the stern with stern door and ample swim platform, decent salon with a port side stairway down to a stoop= through engine room door. Here's a shot of the ER from the door. You can also see a hatch and ladder going up to the pilothouse sole. Decent arrangement, neat, lots of shrouding though.

Attachments

• Helmsman 38 engine room.jpg
    Helmsman 38 engine room.jpg
    136.6 KB · Views: 198
Ron might step in here, but I think it's a 7-8 kt cruise speed.

knock...knock...knock...Hey Windmist...anybody home?

I was raised in Fraserburgh on the North Sea, never saw any angled windshields. Thats me in the school uniform.

Attachments

• frazer.jpg
    frazer.jpg
    128.7 KB · Views: 178
  • Fraserburgh 2.jpg
    Fraserburgh 2.jpg
    124.9 KB · Views: 174
If you're moving in that direction, why not go all the way?

http://www.grandbanks.com/yachts/eastbay/46sx/index.cfm

overviewMain.jpg

If I was cruising in Moonstruck's neck of the woods, (or here, in San Diego) I'd have either the EastBay or a Sabre. (Speed!) I love my little 32 Halvo but it's too slow!

However, If I were to find myself in the GNW, I would have a 42-47 GB Europa. (15 knot cruise, side by side births in the guest stateroom, full walk around, great salon and galley, molded steps to the fly bridge, entrance to the ER under the fly bridge steps, covered cockpit, etc. Both my wife and I really like the GB Europas. I like the Flemings also but I can find a great used GB for less money!

Last edited:
I was raised in Fraserburgh on the North Sea, never saw any angled windshields. Thats me in the school uniform.

Is that because they were all built by one company by chance?

Sabres...quality built in the great State of Maine!

I was raised in Fraserburgh on the North Sea, never saw any angled windshields.

Wow, Boatpoker. Fraiserburgh is like the Holy Grail of trawler ports. I envy you. I don't know why they call the slanting forward windshield a North Sea style and I don't know who started it. Krogen does have several of those styles that they attached the name to, including mine.

Below I've attached your photo of the moorage at Fraiserburgh with a rarely seen Fraserburg 42 prototype that I don't think made it to production. Sure looks like a Sabre hull though.

Attachments

• Fraserburgh 2.jpg
    Fraserburgh 2.jpg
    124.9 KB · Views: 273
  • %22Fraserburgh 420%22.jpg
    %22Fraserburgh 420%22.jpg
    50.8 KB · Views: 1,781
Ron might step in here, but I think it's a 7-8 kt cruise speed.

knock...knock...knock...Hey Windmist...anybody home?

Here I am. Been working on the boat all day washing the salt off from our weekend trip. I cruise at 7.5 kt and top out at about 10 kts with my 230 HP engine. You can get up to 450 hp with the same Cummins QSB 5.9 and cruise around 14 to 15 kt but I wouldn't want the fuel bill.

Hope this helps.

Ron

You can get up to 450 hp with the same Cummins QSB 5.9 and cruise around 14 to 15 kt but I wouldn't want the fuel bill.

It would be interesting to see what the fuel burn would be a 14/15 knots. That would just about eliminate "we sail on the tide" from cruise planning in the PNW. That begs the question: Can you get one with twins and if so, would there be any room in the ER for maintenance activity?

I really like the lines of your boat! :socool:

It would be interesting to see what the fuel burn would be a 14/15 knots. That would just about eliminate "we sail on the tide" from cruise planning in the PNW. That begs the question: Can you get one with twins and if so, would there be any room in the ER for maintenance activity?

I really like the lines of your boat! :socool:

Thanks! Concerning fuel burn, my 230 hp engine burns 11 GPH at WOT with a speed of 10 kts so a 450 hp engine going 14 kts would be a much higher fuel burn. I can't help you with the actual number.

I think twins where an option but I would think they would have to eliminate the second head to get the room for two engines and it would be crowded in the ER.

If you have an interest in one, you could call Scott Helker at Waterline
Boats in Seattle. He's the US distributor of the Helmsman yachts.

Ron

Ron, to me, your boat is the near perfect layout. Large salon, galley up, roomy cockpit, nice FB access (no ladders) and raised pilot house with a very comfortable fwd stateroom. Add to that, the articulated rudder and nice lines!!

That boat packs a lot into 38 ft.

If you have an interest in one, you could call Scott Helker at Waterline
Boats in Seattle. He's the US distributor of the Helmsman yachts.

That's not the problem....the problem is "what do I do with SeaHorse? :confused:

I've got a great idea...you can always give it away!!!

Attachments

• Fish.jpg
    Fish.jpg
    47 KB · Views: 152
Last edited:
That was an easy catch!!
Easy? I think not! Considering the wiliness of the fish I was after, it took planning, patience and faultless execution to pull it off. :dance:

I just came to revive this old thread. I knew nothing of NPY until I chanced upon this walk-thru on YouTube
I'm really impressed!
-Dubnuh

I actually swapped a few emails with Trevor during the last week. I was hoping there would be a 38 Sedan on the east coast or Gulf of Mexico here in the states we could look at - but none of the 38's have been sold yet nearer to us.
Having a Chung Hwa built- boat I can see so much of the good qualities of the Present 42 build in the literature of the NP yachts. I also see so many of the deficiencies of the early Taiwan builds addressed in the NP yachts. Tankage, hull material, wiring access and color coding to name a few. I think it provides great value. There is also a 44 Sedan coming out shortly. For me- a new 38 or 44 would be great to own with their classic lines, single engines and quality build.

1983 Present 42 Sundeck
Twin Lehman 135's
✌️

Last edited by a moderator:
Back
Top Bottom