Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
 
Old 11-04-2016, 10:40 AM   #1
Guru
 
BandB's Avatar
 
City: Fort Lauderdale
Country: USA
Join Date: Jan 2014
Posts: 16,354
No Limit Ships

I'm anxious to hear reaction to the No Limit Ship being shown at FLIBS. It's at Bahia Mar and made the trip from the Netherlands to the show. Very different boat from a primarily commercial shipbuilder. First US showing.
__________________
Advertisement

BandB is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2016, 10:52 AM   #2
QB
Senior Member
 
QB's Avatar
 
City: San Diego and Gabriola
Country: USA and Canada
Vessel Name: Skookum Maru
Vessel Model: Ed Monk design #1924
Join Date: Dec 2011
Posts: 228
Sister ship on Yachtworld: 2017 No Limit Ships 1640 FB Power Boat For Sale - www.yachtworld.com
__________________

QB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2016, 11:21 AM   #3
Guru
 
BandB's Avatar
 
City: Fort Lauderdale
Country: USA
Join Date: Jan 2014
Posts: 16,354
Quote:
Originally Posted by QB View Post
Sister ship on Yachtworld
Sister, but not the same model and another big difference is steel/aluminum vs. aluminum/aluminum. Four Seasons at the show is a 1550 and steel hull. Cruises at 9 knots, capable of 25 knots. The 1640 you site is even faster.
BandB is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2016, 12:50 PM   #4
Senior Member
 
City: CA
Country: USA
Join Date: Oct 2012
Posts: 177
What are the two metal devices with rubber hoses under the hull? Azipods, Keel coolers, a thrust device?
BigJim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2016, 01:12 PM   #5
Guru
 
psneeld's Avatar
 
City: Avalon, NJ
Country: USA
Vessel Name: Freedom
Vessel Model: Albin 40
Join Date: Oct 2011
Posts: 18,730
For a slightly smaller hull, with 2 jets powered by cats, that used to be a Canadian pilot boat...you can probably get one at my marina for under $150,000.


I wont even take a cut.......well maybe a case of beer....
psneeld is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2016, 01:35 PM   #6
Guru
 
Lou_tribal's Avatar
 
City: Quebec
Country: Canada
Vessel Name: Bleuvet
Vessel Model: Custom Built
Join Date: Jan 2016
Posts: 3,282
From what I see in the number, they have a capacity of 1000 Gal of diesel and two 650Hp Penta.
How can it be possible to make a passage with this??? Do they have their own supply ship following them?
Lou_tribal is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2016, 01:50 PM   #7
Guru
 
Capt.Bill11's Avatar
 
City: Sarasota/Ft. Lauderdale
Country: USA
Join Date: Apr 2014
Posts: 5,436
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigJim View Post
What are the two metal devices with rubber hoses under the hull? Azipods, Keel coolers, a thrust device?
Hoses protecting the prop shafts on the pod drives while the props are off.
Capt.Bill11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2016, 02:03 PM   #8
Guru
 
BandB's Avatar
 
City: Fort Lauderdale
Country: USA
Join Date: Jan 2014
Posts: 16,354
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lou_tribal View Post
From what I see in the number, they have a capacity of 1000 Gal of diesel and two 650Hp Penta.
How can it be possible to make a passage with this??? Do they have their own supply ship following them?
They used bladders. That was my first question as well. That would be my one criticism of the boat. I think if you're going to build a passagemaker, you should have fuel capacity for at least 2500 nm, preferably 3000. They come standard with only 792 gallons of fuel capacity.
BandB is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2016, 02:09 PM   #9
QB
Senior Member
 
QB's Avatar
 
City: San Diego and Gabriola
Country: USA and Canada
Vessel Name: Skookum Maru
Vessel Model: Ed Monk design #1924
Join Date: Dec 2011
Posts: 228
Quote:
Originally Posted by BandB View Post
They used bladders.
I was wondering if they really needed to. The route they took, their longest leg was only maybe 800 nm.

Crossing from Fort Lauderdale Boatshow via the Northern route – NLS goes USA

At 9 knots fuel consumption might not be too bad, though the builder isn't very forthcoming with actual numbers. "The capacity of the fuel tanks and relatively low fuel consumption at cruising speed of the No Limit give it a great range making it ideal for non-stop long distances." Yachtworld info on the 1550 here:

http://www.yachtworld.com/boats/2017...s#.WBzf3PkrJaQ
QB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2016, 02:16 PM   #10
Guru
 
Lou_tribal's Avatar
 
City: Quebec
Country: Canada
Vessel Name: Bleuvet
Vessel Model: Custom Built
Join Date: Jan 2016
Posts: 3,282
Quote:
Originally Posted by BandB View Post
They used bladders. That was my first question as well. That would be my one criticism of the boat. I think if you're going to build a passagemaker, you should have fuel capacity for at least 2500 nm, preferably 3000.
If I compare to another "real" passage maker they would need near 2000 Gal of diesel held in bladders. This must be all of a pain to use bladder for such a quantity and should take a looooot of space onboard.
The interior looks like a bit spartan too, I mean not that my ass is fragile but I would like to have a bit more comfort if I would be to spend days inside.
I would not exchange a Nordhavn for this one!
Lou_tribal is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2016, 02:33 PM   #11
Guru
 
BandB's Avatar
 
City: Fort Lauderdale
Country: USA
Join Date: Jan 2014
Posts: 16,354
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lou_tribal View Post
If I compare to another "real" passage maker they would need near 2000 Gal of diesel held in bladders. This must be all of a pain to use bladder for such a quantity and should take a looooot of space onboard.
The interior looks like a bit spartan too, I mean not that my ass is fragile but I would like to have a bit more comfort if I would be to spend days inside.
I would not exchange a Nordhavn for this one!
It's interesting. They have a reputation for building extremely tough commercial boats. I am curious to hear from those who go to the show and see it.

I agree on the interior. It is too close to a North Sea work boat to me. Could that be easily changed? I don't know.

They wouldn't need as much fuel as you might think. Remember it is IPS with the fuel savings the pods bring with them.

On the other hand, we have some minimalists who like low well balanced boats here who I could see attracted to it.

I think figuring out their market is a challenge. It's a Dutch boat but who is it to be sold to? If the market was the US, for instance, then you'd do some things differently.
BandB is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2016, 02:38 PM   #12
Guru
 
BandB's Avatar
 
City: Fort Lauderdale
Country: USA
Join Date: Jan 2014
Posts: 16,354
I do like the concept. It's the execution I would have to see. But I like the idea of a boat that can handle rough ocean conditions but can also go 30 knots. In some of the film, I've watched it in fairly rough seas and it really handles them well.
BandB is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2016, 02:43 PM   #13
Guru
 
Lou_tribal's Avatar
 
City: Quebec
Country: Canada
Vessel Name: Bleuvet
Vessel Model: Custom Built
Join Date: Jan 2016
Posts: 3,282
Quote:
Originally Posted by BandB View Post
It's interesting. They have a reputation for building extremely tough commercial boats. I am curious to hear from those who go to the show and see it.

I agree on the interior. It is too close to a North Sea work boat to me. Could that be easily changed? I don't know.

They wouldn't need as much fuel as you might think. Remember it is IPS with the fuel savings the pods bring with them.

On the other hand, we have some minimalists who like low well balanced boats here who I could see attracted to it.

I think figuring out their market is a challenge. It's a Dutch boat but who is it to be sold to? If the market was the US, for instance, then you'd do some things differently.
Like you said, for me it looks more like a rescue boat, secure and powerful than like a comfy liveaboard passagemaker. And when I look on the price side it is as much expensive as ship that have better capabilities (well I am not an expert but for what I know, I would see a Nordhavn or a Bering to have more capabilities/comfort in the autonomy subject at a similar price).

But on the other side it should be very comforting and reassuring to go out in this kind of ship.

Maybe the market for this would be for high latitude parts of the world where you expect to see more recurrent very rough sea

Would be interesting to see this one at the dock just aside pristine and shining yachts in a marina and look at people reaction
Lou_tribal is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2016, 03:10 PM   #14
Guru
 
BandB's Avatar
 
City: Fort Lauderdale
Country: USA
Join Date: Jan 2014
Posts: 16,354
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lou_tribal View Post

Would be interesting to see this one at the dock just aside pristine and shining yachts in a marina and look at people reaction
I think so as well. Then would be interesting to see how they gathered and then used the feedback. Having been in manufacturing, I've seen it go all ways. One group would just say everyone who didn't like the product was wrong while another group would listen, make improvements based on the feedback, and end up with an excellent product.

It appears it's currently targeting a market very different than those who will be seeing it in Fort Lauderdale, but one they know well.
BandB is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2016, 07:32 PM   #15
Senior Member
 
garrobito's Avatar
 
City: Oakland
Country: US
Vessel Name: Arcangel
Vessel Model: Buewater 40
Join Date: Oct 2016
Posts: 148
Took a look. Not impressed. I can take any day a damen over this boat...
__________________

garrobito is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off





All times are GMT -5. The time now is 11:14 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 4
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Search Engine Optimization by vBSEO 3.6.0
Copyright 2006 - 2012