Old 12-07-2013, 12:16 AM   #21
Veteran Member

City: Los Angeles
Vessel Model: Maltese 52
Tida,
The common theme of all the cats you displayed are they have the Power Yacht look vs a Downeast Style / Trawler look that we were going for. Of course beauty is in the eye of the beholder and I understand how these designs can appealing.

Maltese52 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2013, 07:20 AM   #22
TF Site Team

City: Brisbane
Vessel Name: Lotus
Vessel Model: Clipper (CHB) 34 Sedan/Europa style
Send a message via Skype™ to Peter B
I've always liked the lines and functionality of the Scimitar Cat, made here in Oz.
Scimitar Marine - Product - Scimitar 1010 - Overview

Old 12-07-2013, 07:53 AM   #23
Guru

City: Mooloolaba
Vessel Name: Tidahapah
Vessel Model: Bert Ellis Timber motor cruiser
Yeah Pete when I was getting serious about cats some years ago I approached Scimitar re building a larger version as the 1010 is just a bit small for full time living and cruising.
They said it was in the pipeline but never happened.
Didn't happen anyway.
Cheers
Benn
Tidahapah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2013, 08:01 AM   #24

Vessel Model: 49ft 11inch catamaran-trawler
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tidahapah View Post
Yeah Pete when I was getting serious about cats some years ago I approached Scimitar re building a larger version as the 1010 is just a bit small for full time living and cruising.
They said it was in the pipeline but never happened.
Didn't happen anyway.
Cheers
Benn
Probably should have spoken to Peter directly

Welcome to the Frontpage

I like this one as well, without the tower

http://www.boats.com/listing/gallery...id%3D117724811
Parmenter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2013, 08:10 AM   #25

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maltese52 View Post
Wanted to introduce and get a little feedback on our new Trawlercat design the Maltese MP52-Trawler.
This will have squatting problems under power I think.

Shouldnt it be more reversed, flattened and squared up in the bum, like this but even squarer?

Old 12-07-2013, 09:10 AM   #26
Guru

City: Tampa
Ok, I'll toss my newbie $.02 in here.
FWIW, I kind of like the design of the cabin. The low, as you put it commercial/military design, from the side, the design sort of reminds me of some of the old school yachts belonging to various stars, moguls and presidents that I've seen over the years. The old school look kind of appeals to me

I do agree that a pilot house or flybridge should be added. The low profile cabin doesn't appear to lend itself well to docking and close quarter maneuvering such a wide boat.

The wife and I were at one of the local Marinas a couple of days ago, and there was a 60?' cat in for maintenance. What an awesome sight but very modern and "sterile".

Then we walked over and checked out a Ranger Tug, a GB and an older Trawler (sorry, I forgot to check the make while I was busy drooling}.

Now I love catamarans, but the looks of the older, more conventional trawler's still won my heart. I guess for me at least, it's the difference between the old and new. Maybe it's my age, or maybe it's a desire for a simpler time, but the looks of a conventional trawler keep winning me over.

That square cabin on your design adds just that sort of old school look.
IDK, maybe if you added a slight roundness to the forward area of the cabin in may be more appealing some?

Anyway, cool design. Way outside my budget, and boat design is above my pay grade, but all the best with the sales

OD
Off Duty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2013, 09:12 AM   #27
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Parmenter View Post
Probably should have spoken to Peter directly

Welcome to the Frontpage

I like this one as well, without the tower

2004 Strong 60 Offshore Power Catamaran Title
Now I like these 2!
Old 12-07-2013, 09:52 AM   #28
Guru

City: Longboat Key, FL
Vessel Name: Bucky
Vessel Model: Krogen Manatee 36 North Sea
Oh Yeah! I like them both, but especially the more masculine, workboat lines of the first one. Schweet!

"I'd rather be happy than dignified".
healhustler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2013, 10:04 AM   #29
Guru

City: Port Townsend Washington
Vessel Name: " OTTER "
Vessel Model: Ocean Alexander Europa 40
If you want to sell the M52 you wil need to change the cabin... it isnt modern, utility, or industrial looking.
Boats need to have a look that appears slippery.. streamlined to go into the wind etc..

Below are boats that have the boxy modern look but still pull it off. I even included a Dashew boat ( FPB.. which I think means fugly power boat ) as much more pleasing to the eye.

I know that the builder appears to be trying to market a US built cat for a reasonable price.. but it is off the mark. Of course this is just my opinion but I hate to see someone get in so deep because no one will stand up and declare it is less than pleasing.

A good looking boat uses the same materials as a ugly one... it is just a different use of the materials

HOLLYWOOD
Attached Images

hollywood8118 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2013, 10:35 AM   #30
Veteran Member

Maltese52 Trawler

Hollywood & OD,
Appreciate your comments and do acknowledge that the cabin house design is weak point of design. Probably too much input from me wanting that masculine look that you speak of. Potential clients who have seen it in person either love it or hate it, but the functionality is hard to beat. Without the teak brow trim that was planned and railings it does look bare at moment. Will be adding some alternative house design to our site shortly to help calm some nerves

However we are offering to redesign/change the cabin house for any potential client so there is a perfect opportunity to say "I want that" at we can make it happen. I for one prefer the workboat cabin house style and have some confidence that will look nice when complete.

As for power and speed projections. We are working up chart for 75hp to 120hp. Looking to get cruising speeds of 12-15kts. You don't experience the squatting problems mentioned unless you try running this hull design over 20kts as per design team. Hence the MP52 - Trawler. Plus 10-12 is the sweet spot according to the cruising legends.? No
Old 12-07-2013, 01:37 PM   #31

City: Palmetto Bay
Vessel Name: Sunshine
Vessel Model: Island Pilot DSe 12m Hybrid
I like the plumb windows. One of hollywood's examples also has plumb windows - but has an eyebrow visor forward. An easy thing to sketch in and to bolt on to #1.

I'm more curious as to performance expectations? Did you tank test her ?
Old 12-07-2013, 02:01 PM   #32
Veteran Member

RJ,
No tank testing here. Just got members of successful multihull design and build teams to do the number crunching to make it all possible and I managed the build entirely from day one. Its designed for that sweet spot of 10-12kt average cruising speed and depending on final fitout options power will vary from 75HP to 120HP. Should have some power charts and projected fuel burn numbers on our site soon.
I agree that some trim add ons for the cabin house would soften the look and those are definitely planned provided a client approves. Some may like the teak brow, while others may want a composite brow for low maintenance or a redesigned cabin house all together. Eager to make it happen either way, just waiting on that call.
Click image for larger version

Name:	MP52-Trawlercolor.jpg
Views:	147
Size:	63.3 KB
ID:	25394
Old 12-07-2013, 02:43 PM   #33
Guru

Hollywood, looking at your response, I don't see a boxy looking boat in the bunch. Maybe I am mis-defining the term "boxy"? Each of those examples look pretty sleek to me, and there's not a cat in the group.

As with everything else in life, everyone has an opinion which keeps things interesting:-) otherwise we'd all be driving the same kind of cars, eating the same kind of foods, living in the same kind of houses, and floating around on the same kind of floating mobile homes lol. I love the diversity of vessels that I have seen here in my short time.

As the designer stated, people either love it or hate it. At least he's willing to entertain and make design changes to suit.
I'm not convinced that he's going to have to make it (the cabin that is) sleek to draw customers.

I am sure that you are right though, that to appeal to The mass cat Cruiser populous and the Discerning high end yachtsman and live aboard, he probably will have to make some adjustments. Maybe use two sketch ups in the marketing campaign. One with the sleek; go Fast look more appealing to the masses, and keep maybe a slightly modified version of what he Currently has for the old school cave dwellers such as myself, who still find the boxy, simple and utilitarian, riverboat look appealing.:-)

Just some thoughts.

OD
Old 12-07-2013, 06:24 PM   #34

ugly
tinped is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2013, 06:32 PM   #35
Veteran Member

Tinped,

Two questions...
What type of trawler design strikes you as beautiful?
And Are you in the market for a new boat and at what price range?

Though the Maltese MP52- trawler doesn't work for you I'm just curious why.?Is it the fact that it's a catamaran? Not fast enough? Too fast? The cabin house design? The hull design? Too expensive? Too cheap?

Feedback helps
Old 12-07-2013, 06:52 PM   #36

looks like a box on the hull.
Old 12-07-2013, 06:57 PM   #37

Quote:
Originally Posted by tinped View Post
looks like a box on the hull.
Yeah, thats what I said on another forum.
The box the core materials came in

If it had a decent eyebrow on the front and overhangs on the side for shading and a gutter all round to collect rain runoff I could understand it and probably live with it but as it sits, it is just a box.

And that box was just as easy/hard to build and the same cost as something with some styling would have been.
Same core, same glass same resin, same labour.
Old 12-07-2013, 07:02 PM   #38

The picture you posted(in my opinion)has a cabin house that looks like someone took a cardboard box and put it on a hull.I am not commenting on anything else but my instant reaction seeing the picture.Some additions I am sure will most likely change my opinion,but this boat picture as it stands seems to have no lines,and no character.I wasn't trying to insult you,but you asked,and I couldn't get past the picture.
Old 12-07-2013, 07:04 PM   #39
Veteran Member

Tinped,

Duly Noted. Thanks for your ultra informative and descriptive answer by the way. Will go beat the crap out of the design team now....:bang head:

Lets face it... the utilitarian/commercial style cabin house is a love/hate thing. I must say though from having visited the last few powerboat shows that the look is coming back and being used more commonly. Its hard to beat the functionality and as someone remarked earlier, its hard to find a sexy catamaran. At least one under a few million $$.

Hopefully when the trim and railings are mounted on this cabin house more may find it appealing, but I doubt I'd ever be able to convert you Tin..
If you are on the market, I'd be happy to discuss some redesigned options.

Name:	MP52-Trawlercolor.jpg
Views:	93
Size:	63.3 KB
ID:	25401
Just so you understand I was aiming for a design that encompassed all of the following... in a package available for 450K.

Name:	44classic.jpg
Views:	173
Size:	45.3 KB
ID:	25402

Name:	fbp64.jpg
Views:	179
Size:	27.1 KB
ID:	25403

Name:	gb60.jpg