Old 08-20-2012, 12:09 PM   #1

City: Palm Beach Gardens Fl
Vessel Name: Calypso
Vessel Model: Marine Trader 40'
Marine Traders Unite!

Aren't there enough Marine Traders out there for it's own builders forum tread?
I've been an owner of a 39.6 DC for just 6 months and have seen plenty around in South Florida. We have 2 at my dock! Does anyone know how many Marine Traders were sold over the years...Seems a lot are still out there!

Caribe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2012, 12:19 PM   #2
Guru

City: Pensacola
No. You Marine Trader dudes need to stay with the rest of us Leaky Teaky's...

Blue Heron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2012, 01:08 PM   #3
Guru

City: Chocowinity NC
Vessel Name: My Yuki
Vessel Model: 1973 Marine Trader 34
Caribe, all the Taiwanese boats are so much alike (MT, chen Hwa, Fu Wha, etc) it makes no sense to start a new category. Even the MTOA, which used to be Marine Trader Owners Association, renamed itself the "Marine Trawlers Owners Association to expand their membership.
ARoss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2012, 01:19 PM   #4

Thanks! Glad to be here and very proud of my bilge humidity but still want to know how many MT are out there/in here and also wonder how my recent restoration compares with other MT and how many have been restored etc...stuff like that.
Old 08-20-2012, 05:19 PM   #5
Guru

City: Marathon, Florida
Vessel Name: Walkabout
Vessel Model: 1989 Sea Ray 380 Aft Cabin
Don't know how many made over the years. A lot I am sure. They are still selling them. Yacht World has several new ones right now.

Caribe, do you have a blog with pics so we can see what you have done? I have tons of pics on my refit (only 40% done) on our blog.

www.mikeandsharondunsworth.blogspot.com
READY2GO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2012, 10:17 PM   #6
Guru

Found this at Miller Yacht Sales...
The company began operations in 1968, and during the 1970s and 1980s MTI was well positioned to take advantage of the surging demand for efficient trawler-style designs. It was during this period that MTI made a significant impact on the market, selling hundreds of boats in every major boating region in the country. In nearly 30 years of operations, MTI has imported over 3,000 boats—more by far than any other importer in the country. Marine Trader models came from many different Taiwan manufacturers over the years. Always privately owned, the company continues to import several Asian-built trawlers and motoryachts.
Capn Chuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2012, 07:58 AM   #7

Wow thanks Capn Chuck that is great! So MTI makes, models and materials could have come from a variety of yards making each unique.
-thanks too ready 2go We will send links to a blog soon..quite a story...Calypso actually found and acquired us to save her...We are in final stages of complete refurbish Every inch has 4 new coats of Awl Grip.
Old 09-17-2012, 06:36 PM   #8

City: porlamar
Vessel Model: Marine trader 34
Hi, i have a marine trader 34, i dont know wich is the original and if there is a better prop, i have a FL 120 and the prop is 19x20 4 blades, i would like more speed,

Thanks for Any help
caribemt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2012, 08:20 PM   #9
Scraping Paint

City: -
The factory prop on the single-engine Grand Banks 36 with an FL120 was three-bladed, 24" diameter with an 18" pitch, which was slightly overpitched for the boat. However at typical cruise rpm (1500-1800) this prop did not overload the FL120 and provided a bit more speed than a prop pitched to provide max rated rpm (2500) at WOT.

According to the prop shop we use in Seattle, going to a four-bladed prop, all else being equal, typically means the pitch should be reduced by one inch. So for that same GB36 the four bladed prop would be 24 x 17.

At 20 x 19 your 34' boat may be propped about right or slightly overpropped. You don't want to overprop an FL120 by very much. But I'm not familiar with Marine Traders so I'm only speculating. For a meaningful answer to your question I suggest you contact a repuatable prop shop that's had some experience with your make and model of boat.
Marin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2012, 11:52 PM   #10

City: porlamar
Vessel Model: Marine trader 34
thanks Marin,
actually my prop itīs 19Ļin and 20 of pitch, i cant fit a bigger prop but a just talk to a prop shop and they tell me to change de pitch to 22 so i can get a little more speed, my cruise speed is about 6 knots at 1850 rpm and the engine fell very good, if i compare to other boats with the same engine they have a bigger prop but a lot less pitch so im a little concerned
caribemt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2012, 12:07 PM   #11
Veteran Member

City: Cape Coral,Fl
Vessel Name: Island Time
Vessel Model: 1990 Marine Trader DB
Quote:
Originally Posted by Caribe
Aren't there enough Marine Traders out there for it's own builders forum tread?
I've been an owner of a 39.6 DC for just 6 months and have seen plenty around in South Florida. We have 2 at my dock! Does anyone know how many Marine Traders were sold over the years...Seems a lot are still out there!
Caribe, we bought a 38 Marine Trader DC in April. Would like to know about renovation projects other MT owners have undertaken. We are on the Fl west coast and there are 3 MT's in our marina. It would be nice to have a separate forum.

Gina and Steve
M/V Island Time
islandtimecruiser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2012, 12:30 PM   #12
Guru

City: Marathon, Florida
Vessel Name: Walkabout
Vessel Model: 1989 Sea Ray 380 Aft Cabin
Islandtimecruiser, We have a blog that shows a lot of the renovations we have done and are in the process of doing. One vast improvement we did was to get rid of the stock deck drains and install scuppers. One thing about owning an older MT, you have done a lot of renovations, or you are about to.

www.mikeandsharondunsworth.blogspot.com
READY2GO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2012, 01:06 PM   #13
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by islandtimecruiser View Post
Caribe, we bought a 38 Marine Trader DC in April. Would like to know about renovation projects other MT owners have undertaken. We are on the Fl west coast and there are 3 MT's in our marina. It would be nice to have a separate forum.

Gina and Steve
M/V Island Time
Also lots of projects on our Beach House blog. Chuck

Capn Chuck is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
builder forums, marine trader