Old 08-26-2013, 04:25 PM   #1
Veteran Member

City: Aberdeen
Vessel Name: Orcades
Vessel Model: 1973 Malahide 57' 80 ton
Malahide trawler

1973 wooden Malahide . 6x6" oak framing 21/2" planking, 260 hp Volvo turbo main engine , 150 hp yanmar wing . Handles Scottish weather ok ,a bit rolly !

80 ton gross , 30 ton of old railway lines as ballast .

Any other Malahides out there

Andy
Orcades is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2013, 06:41 PM   #2
Guru

City: Mooloolaba
Vessel Name: Flora
Vessel Model: Timber southern cray boat
Andy,
I'm jealous , what a boat you have.
Is she rebuilt or just still in pristine condition.
Show us more pics.
Cheers
Benn
Tidahapah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2013, 07:33 PM   #3
Veteran Member

Malahide Trawler

Thanks , she has had 3 life's , started as a navigation traing boat for the UK navy , ( send picture of the original boat later ) then she was made into a private trawler for a welthy fisherman 20 years ago in Orkney , hence the name , I bought her last year and slipped her in march this year to inspect the hull and all the running gear , integrity paramount ! And doing some bedroom and general freshen up ,
Renewed some wood planking ,caulking and decking , but generally is in good nick and will put my mark on her !! ( bitofa money drain !! But as you say .....
And
You only ever borrow anything for a while and hopefully pass it on !

I am at the shipyard tomorrow and will send more pictures ,

Look on my album I have uploade some more !

Andy
Old 08-26-2013, 07:47 PM   #4
Veteran Member

WOW Benn , are you doing the work ? I see we are similar ages , I was 63 last week , but , feeling great and excited about this project , have sailed a fair bit , but needed some home comforts now , it's cold sailing up here. !!

Andy
Old 08-27-2013, 01:06 AM   #5
Guru

City: Mooloolaba
Vessel Name: Flora
Vessel Model: Timber southern cray boat
Andy,
Know what the weather is like up there.
Did all my marine Engineering College at South Shields Marine & Tech.
My cousin owns a few hotels in Scotland , hence all my spare time was up there.
He had hotels in Forfar, 2 off , The Bruce at Carnoustie and the Seaforth at Arbroath. Plenty of drinking spots for a young bloke. This was the early 70s.
He actually bought a nice 40 ft converted trawler back in 74 and I did a delivery for him from Dundee up to Inverness. Quite an adventure for a young buck back in those days.

Re my job, for the first time I have contracted out 95% of the work and I am only project managing it.
Have found out it is a great way to go (expensive) but with the right people stuff gets done properly, quickly and everyone is happy.

Cheers
Benn
Tidahapah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2013, 09:06 AM   #6
Guru

City: Everett Wa
Vessel Name: Eagle
Vessel Model: Roughwater 58 pilot house
Quote:
Originally Posted by Orcades View Post
1973 wooden Malahide . 6x6" oak framing 21/2" planking, 260 hp Volvo turbo main engine , 150 hp yanmar wing . Handles Scottish weather ok ,a bit rolly !

Andy
There are a few in the Seattle Puget Sound. There is a gorgeous boat house high maintain dock queen that is was for sale. The most well known is the Ursa Major that is a gorgeous charter up between Alaska and Mexico. Another was Sea Quest but she was taken down the coast. All are heavy plank wood and made in your area.

buying and maintaining an older boat you have to enjoy maintain and spending money on her.
Phil Fill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2013, 10:08 AM   #7
Guru

City: Salvador - BA
Vessel Name: Rainha Jannota
Vessel Model: Curruira 46
Congratulations Andy.

Malahides are by far the best trawler hul design ever. When I was a kid, my Dad took me to Leixoes in Portugal where they used to build them.

This boat can take some weight and some spanking. It is very generous with bad weather.
Cheers
Old 08-27-2013, 10:26 AM   #8
Veteran Member

Malahide

Hi , yes I have read through the lady,s story , good on her ! Yea big and heavy , but very responsive on the water, is seaworthy , got a more experienced fisherman to take me out , in conditions I would never attempt just to see how she was , slow rolly into wind and following sea . Just had to see how to position her .... Just in case !

I had been looking at many trawlers , and without going for the KJ or Fleming, when I say this one and 2 others for sale , she was what I was looking for.
Yep spent a load of dish , but her framing and planking are solid and like new , her previous owners could maintain her , and I'm just making her a " Classy Lassy " .. My wife just rolls her eyes , big boy toy !!!
Old 08-27-2013, 10:43 AM   #9
Veteran Member

Bom dia amego ! Eu sabe todo communicacions em engles,, mas eu fala poco Portuguese ..... Bem e cuidade Dias em sua Barco ...

Andy
Old 09-08-2013, 06:09 PM   #10
Veteran Member

Malahide Trawler

This was Orcades when she was built , quite like her like that , high back end !
Attached Thumbnails
image.jpg  
Old 04-13-2014, 01:54 PM   #11

City: Dunfermline
Vessel Name: Allison Jane
Vessel Model: Malahide Motor Twin Screw
Orcades

Quote:
Originally Posted by Orcades View Post

Andy
Andy

I have a very derlict rain soaked, soggy Twin Screw boat for restoration. She was built by Southern Marine Limited, Malahide Shipyard, Dublin.
She is currently called @Allison Jane@ and she has a certificate of British Registry 1974.
She been lying exposed to all the elements for a few years since her previous owner died. So lots to do to get her back in the water. She's sitting down at North Queensferry in Fife should you ever be passing and fancy a view. She's not in the same class as you but she's more than enough for me.
gordon Scobie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2014, 02:13 PM   #12

Hi all

I goosed the attachement of the picture of the AClick image for larger version

Name:	004.jpg
Views:	338
Size:	119.0 KB
ID:	29049

Click image for larger version

Name:	074.jpg
Views:	237
Size:	176.8 KB
ID:	29050

Click image for larger version

Name:	078.jpg
Views:	247
Size:	118.4 KB
ID:	29051llison Jane so trying again

Apologies in advance if it does not send.

Gordon
Old 04-13-2014, 06:32 PM   #13
TF Site Team

City: California Delta
Vessel Name: FlyWright
Vessel Model: 1977 Marshall Californian 34 LRC
She's got beautiful lines! You're going to learn a lot about her as you lovingly bring her back to her former self. Please keep us posted. As you know, some of us do better with pictures that the written word!!

@DeltaBridges - 25 Delta Bridges in 25 Days
FlyWright is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2014, 06:00 PM   #14

Allison Jayne

Hi Al

Many thanks for your comments, much appreciated. I have taken plenty of photos so I will certainly bore you with my efforts as I move her along. She is in a bad way though as the fresh water has been poring in for years. I have spent the last few visits emptying her of rubbish, by that I mean so many tins of mixed paint I could have painted the Forth Bridge again. I think the previous owner had used her as his garden shed. I have been given a price for the Iroko planking required for the hull at £1500. I am aware of the Orcades up in Aberdeen Scotland and was wondering if there are any other Malahide Trawler owners in the UK using this forum?
Gordon
Attached Thumbnails
002.jpg   005.jpg   031.jpg   077.jpg   101.jpg  

076.jpg  
Old 04-14-2014, 06:53 PM   #15
Guru

City: St Augustine,Fl
....Good luck
Sailor of Fortune is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2014, 07:48 PM   #16
Grand Vizier

Quote:
Originally Posted by gordon Scobie View Post
Hi Al

Many thanks for your comments, much appreciated. I have taken plenty of photos so I will certainly bore you with my efforts as I move her along. She is in a bad way though as the fresh water has been poring in for years. I have spent the last few visits emptying her of rubbish, by that I mean so many tins of mixed paint I could have painted the Forth Bridge again. I think the previous owner had used her as his garden shed. I have been given a price for the Iroko planking required for the hull at £1500. I am aware of the Orcades up in Aberdeen Scotland and was wondering if there are any other Malahide Trawler owners in the UK using this forum?
Gordon
I looked at the Malahide Lady Faye before buying Delfin's hull. She was planked with 3" teak and sported a 225 hp Kelvin diesel. I wanted to buy her just to be able to own the engine. God Bless you for undertaking the project - these vessels deserve to be saved.
Old 04-15-2014, 01:29 AM   #17
Guru

City: Sydney
Vessel Name: Sojourn
Vessel Model: Integrity 386
Sir Humphrey Appleby (Yes Minister) might have called your project 'courageous', even "character forming". I hope it goes well.
BruceK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2014, 09:17 AM   #18
Guru

City: Port Townsend Washington
Vessel Name: " OTTER "
Vessel Model: Ocean Alexander Europa 40
It's sad when a formerly well found vessel meets its end in this way. There was a local Romsdal that I looked into for a time, it was not anywhere near as needing as the Malahide. It was just too much of a project to undertake and it met its demise courtesy of a match.. very sad.

HOLLYWOOD
hollywood8118 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2014, 09:26 AM   #19
Guru

City: Perth
Malahide trawler

Wow holy crap mate. I thought my timber boat project was a handful. I now know I was wrong. I bow down to thee in respect of great courage and wish you well sir!

Sent from my iPad using Trawler Forum
Old 04-15-2014, 01:21 PM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by hollywood8118 View Post
It's sad when a formerly well found vessel meets its end in this way. There was a local Romsdal that I looked into for a time, it was not anywhere near as needing as the Malahide. It was just too much of a project to undertake and it met its demise courtesy of a match.. very sad.

HOLLYWOOD

Hi Hollywood8118

It ain't over till the fat man signs, this boat shall not meet her maker yet,

Gordon