City: Port Townsend
Vessel Name: The Promise
Vessel Model: Roughwater 35
Good luck with the Allison Jane!
dhmeissner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2014, 04:43 PM   #22
Veteran Member

City: Libertyville
Projects such as this disprove the old adage " only a woman can give birth".
I say that only with the most respect for the man who takes on a
project such as this and carries through. It is only with his blood, sweat and boldness that life may again flow through timbers and beams meant to surge upon the surface of the sea.
May you soon stand upon her decks and ride her soul across the far horizon.

Frank
Right rudder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2014, 05:32 PM   #23
Veteran Member

City: Aberdeen
Vessel Name: Orcades
Vessel Model: 1973 Malahide 57' 80 ton
Hi Gordon , how's the project coming along ? Been meaning to get in touch , maybe come down to see you !

Andy
Orcades is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2015, 04:02 PM   #24

City: Dunfermline
Vessel Name: Allison Jane
Vessel Model: Malahide Motor Twin Screw
Quote:
Originally Posted by Orcades View Post
Hi Gordon , how's the project coming along ? Been meaning to get in touch , maybe come down to see you !

Andy
Hi Andy

My apologies for not being in touch for a while but I was diagnosed with Cancer in the lungs last February which has been a massive blow to both me and my family. But I remain positive and refuse to give up on life to easily and as far as I am concerned I can beat this and I am currently receiving chemotherapy treatment but I shall not know if this is helping until I am finished my treatment and then the measure to see if there has been any improvement via shrinkage.

How ever I am carrying on with things that interest me, like the Alison Jane where I shall have to take on more a project mangers role rather than a hands on Shipwrights role. It will let me have an interest that I can hide behind.

So the Alison Jane refit shall continue. I am looking at moving her to a friends yard at Cluny which is just North of Kirkcaldy Fife.
I have donated all of my timber and an old Pitenweem yawl to the Scottish Fisheries Museum who look after the 112 year old Herring drifter the "Reaper"

The move to Cluny will give me peace away from the political nightmare of Fife Council looking to turn the area at NQ into a car park and moving all of the boats away to accommodate car parking for the proposed World heritage site the Forth Bridge. If the get it as expected they shall (and I support it and hope they do)the calculations tell us that the footfall of visitors rises by several thousands most who shall require car parking.

Anyway what is new with the Orcades what have you been up to with in the last year. Once I move the boat perhaps you would like to come down for a visit and see what a challenge is!!!
My mobile number is 07582290415 if you prefer to call first.

I look forward to hearing from you
Kind regards
Gordon
gordon Scobie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2015, 05:49 PM   #25
Guru

City: New Orleans
Vessel Name: Scot Free
Vessel Model: Cheoy Lee 53' Efficient
I have just stumbled upon this thread. Gordon, I hope you are winning the battles. Please provide us with an update both about yourself and your boat.
I am from Buckhaven if you can believe such a thing.
Good luck
McGillicuddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2016, 03:34 PM   #26
Guru

City: Bellingham WA
Vessel Name: Hatt Trick
Vessel Model: 45' Hatteras Convertible
I know most of the Malahides were made of wood, but a few were steel (?) Anyone know how many metal boats were built? I always admire Ursa Major when I see her in SE Alaska - very stout and rugged looking.
Ken E. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2022, 03:34 PM   #27
Guru

City: Reno, Nevada
According to my Facebook feed, Orcades has been completely refit and is now for sale in Glasgow for a reasonable price - compared to US-based Malahides anyhow.
Alaskaflyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2022, 03:36 PM   #28
Guru

City: Reno, Nevada
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_6336.jpg
Views:	13
Size:	119.3 KB
ID:	124839

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_6337.JPG
Views:	11
Size:	191.2 KB
ID:	124840
Alaskaflyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2022, 04:16 PM   #29
TF Site Team

City: Saltspring Island
Vessel Name: Retreat
Vessel Model: C&L 44
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken E. View Post
I know most of the Malahides were made of wood, but a few were steel (?) Anyone know how many metal boats were built? I always admire Ursa Major when I see her in SE Alaska - very stout and rugged looking.
Malahide Ireland, had the shipyard (Southern Marine) that produced all of the "Malahide" trawlers. The hulls were built out of wood, either in Norway or in Portugal, then transported to Malahide for finishing. Ursa Major is on a Norwegian wood hull.

Romsdahl Trawlers look a lot like Malahides, but the larger ones are mostly (all?) built of steel. They were built in Norway.