Looking for info

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

WHAY

Vessel Name
Franknboat
Vessel Make
Tartan 26
Hi

Currently on the hunt for a new home and I saw this in the local paper and turns out just a couple of boats down from mine on the hard. I was wondering if anyone could shed some light on this. Not sure if the brand is right as I can't seem to find anything on the internet about it.
It is a Luxury 41' double cabin Oceana HMC Trawler
Not sure about posting links to boats been sold so I'll hold off for not. If you do a search for Luxury 41' double cabin Oceana HMC Trawler it will bring up the kijjiji ad
Its location is Toronto

Thanks all

WHAY j

I was out fishing on this boat from Bluffers Park about 25 years ago with the nephew of the owner at the time (same owner at the time I think). The boat was little used and rarely left the dock. search "CHB" or "CHB Oceania" on yachtworld.com. It's a typical Taiwan trawler built by Chung Wha Boat Building Co. Ltd. in Kaohsiung, Taiwan. The boat name is made up of the first two letters of each grand kids names if I remember correctly. There are quite a few of them around.

If she is still in decent shape this is a pretty good price. After a boat listed on yachtworld.com sells, the actual sales data is posted on soldboats.com so you can get a history of the actual selling prices of this model from your broker or surveyor who will have access to this data.

Last edited:
There is also a near sistership in Port Dover that's been ashore and for sale for a couple of years. I went through it last spring and it was far more boat than I wanted and needed far more work than I wanted to get into, but I thought it would make a nice liveaboard. AFAIK it's still for sale @35k.

Thanks for the info.
I saw the one in port colborne on the net was wondering about it. There's a Albin 43 sun deck down there as well that look like it might fit the bill.

The boat in Bluffer's Marina has some pretty serious deck issues, I drove down to have a look a few weeks ago. The boat in Port Colborne apparently has an offer on it, so the broker was not showing it to any other prospective buyers right now.

Thanks for the info.
I saw the one in port colborne on the net was wondering about it. There's a Albin 43 sun deck down there as well that look like it might fit the bill.

We looked at that Albin last year and she looked tired ...... I really don't think the owner wants to sell as it's been on the market for awhile and the price has not moved.

Need some info too

I have found myself in a position in which I need to move this year and as I have always loved the water, I had this great epiphany. Why not live on a boat? Unfortunately when I look for information about it I really get basic "The best thing I ever did." or "It's not what it's cracked up to be." over all feelings and no real information. My reasonings for such a change are an enjoyable life and I'm under the impression it's less expensive. Could someone help me out and put me on the right course?

Greetings,
Welcome aboard. First question: In what part of the country do you anticipate living aboard?

Well...Massachusetts and not on the Coast. My jobs are in western MA. If I were to get a boat it would have to be transported to the local Marina on the local River. How's that for shooting myself in the foot before I even start. heh heh

Greetings,
Mr. 07. MY opinion...Houseboat.

I think that is a great suggestion. If you want to live on the water, but don't want your home to move around since you have to work in one location, a houseboat would serve you better I think.

Before you find a boat, or houseboat, first check out where you could moor it and find out about the availability of moorage and any restrictions. That will help inform you as to the type of vessel/houseboat you can use. It will also help you identify costs.

As to costs.... if you are going to be using a boat as a small apartment, make sure you are comparing apples to apples. Compare the costs of ownership of a liveaboard with those of a small, 1 or 2 bedroom, 1 bath apartment with no garage. Then factor in the fact that on a boat, you will be your landlord and be responsible for all repairs and maintenance.

That's what I was thinking like a Gibson or a Holiday Mansion but I saw a trawler and fell in love. I want something that I can take on the ocean too. If I'm to do this I want to do it right. This is going to be my home and I don't want anymore boundaries. I guess I just want to know what my heart is stating to get me into. like monthly costs and what does maintenance for a boat mean exactly? like maintenance on a car? You see to say I'm new to the idea of boat life is a gross understatement.

That's so true I should look into it a bit more. I had looked at apartments and the ones in the area that my local Marina is in are upwards of 1200.00 per month even the ones in my current area of Springfield the cheapest is $780 per month and that's a studio meaning the living room is the bedroom. The city surely suffers from delusions of grandeur. And a one or two bedroom condo the cheapest I've seen that is move in ready without 30k+ of renovations has bee 89k. The more I looked the bleaker things seemed till I started looking at used boats. heh heh

I have a friend that was considering the same move and funds were a real issue. When it got down to it, they realized that if you make a move to the boat, you are stuck with it for some time. If you get a job out of town, you can't just put the boat on a trailer and drive it around. They were looking at cheap boats, like one the engines didn't work and the other had rusted out fuel tanks. They didn't care because they were just going to live on it, but it would likely matter to the next owner and make it that much more difficult to sell.

What I trying to say is that if you move into an apartment and don't like it, you can leave. If you put money into a boat, you are sorta stuck with that decision for awhile and you are unlikely to get all of you money back out of it.

If you investigate further, make friends with someone who has and knows about boats to help you avoid any major pitfalls.

Good luck!

That's what I was thinking like a Gibson or a Holiday Mansion but I saw a trawler and fell in love. I want something that I can take on the ocean too. If I'm to do this I want to do it right. This is going to be my home and I don't want anymore boundaries. I guess I just want to know what my heart is stating to get me into. like monthly costs and what does maintenance for a boat mean exactly? like maintenance on a car? You see to say I'm new to the idea of boat life is a gross understatement.

I know how you feel. I am looking to make the move from sail to power, and even though I have spent my whole life on and around sailboats, there is still more that I don't know than what I do know.

Maintenance means a lot of things, but I tend to break it down into three areas, Propulsion, hull, and other systems.
Propulsion would be your engine, fuel system, and running gear (prop, shaft, transmission). Even is you stay at the dock most of the time, you have to change the oil, keep an eye on the condition of the fuel, change coolent, etc...

I think of Hull as the basic structure of the boat, both above and below the waterline. Cleaning the bottom, repainting as necessary, making sure there are no leaks on the topsides which can cause a lot of problems with your boats structure etc... I think of boats as a container with a lot of holes it that water of all kinds is desperately and determinedly trying to get into.

Other systems include your waste system (have to treat it or hold it and dump it and marine toilets take regular maintenance unlike land based gravity toilets), electrical system (normally a mix of 12v DC and 110v AC) needs to be monitored and depending on the battery system the batteries need caring for. Water system involves water tanks and pumps in most cases unless you hook up a permanent connection to your dock water. Then there are the Nav systems like radios, chart plotters etc, which are normally not much of a maintenance issue until they break.

Think of something as simple as taking a shower. In your land based apartment, you step into the shower, and turn on the water and don't think about anything else. On a boat, you first have to ensure that you have enough water in your water tanks, that the water pump is turned on and the DC system that runs it is turned on, that your water heater is turned on and that the power supply that heats the water tank is connected and turned on. You then have to turn on your shower sump pump, make sure that the seacock for your shower drain is open (unless you have a gray water holding tank). Then you get to take your shower. After your shower, since most boats that you likely would be getting into don't have good ventilation in the heads, you need to do a really good job of wiping down the inside of the head to get rid of the moisture. Moisture control inside a boat is critical.

I am sure that I am forgetting a lot that the full time cruisers and live aboards here will fill in or correct me on. So I suggest that you keep asking questions to get a good picture of what it is like.

Another consideration that I am completely ignorant on, is winter. You have cold winters in MA and I don't know the status of year round slips.

What I trying to say is that if you move into an apartment and don't like it, you can leave. If you put money into a boat, you are sorta stuck with that decision for awhile and you are unlikely to get all of you money back out of it.

Excellent point. I would only add that you won't get all your money out of it. Consider a boat a depreciating asset like a car. While there are the rare exceptions, they are almost universally folks who have the skills, talent, inclination, and time to rehab a boat. Most of us don't qualify.

First seriously consider WHERE you plan to keep the boat. Things like pumpout facilities, winter storage, electric costs for heat, livaboard fees, horsepower limits, etc. may change your plans for you.

Thank you both so much for all the information it has been incredibly helpful and exactly the kind of information I've been looking for. The real nitty gritty of boat living. To be honest so far it doesn't sound half bad....is that crazy? Maybe because of the idea of finally having something that will be mine....well mine and the banks. I will keep asking around too. The more information the better. I better get going my boat obsession has taken me away from all my household chores including eating. Pretty bad huh? Thank you again. Good journeys.

Cynthia

Thank you both so much for all the information it has been incredibly helpful and exactly the kind of information I've been looking for. The real nitty gritty of boat living. To be honest so far it doesn't sound half bad....is that crazy? Maybe because of the idea of finally having something that will be mine....well mine and the banks. I will keep asking around too. The more information the better. I better get going my boat obsession has taken me away from all my household chores including eating. Pretty bad huh? Thank you again. Good journeys.

Cynthia

Wifey B: Bad Girl....:rofl:

the idea of finally having something that will be mine....well mine and the banks.

The bank part could be a problem.

And unless you spend enough that the boat will have some sort of raw waste processing system (lectrasan, for example), you don't know fun until you realize in the middle of the night that your holding tank is full. There's always a backup, but yikes...

http://www.amazon.com/Reliance-Prod..._UL160_SR122,160_&refRID=04BGFCSGPG6PDD6JH6NP

Hubby B: You didn't indicate what you intended to spend on this boat?

Some basic financial notes. Those who talk about saving money by living aboard are talking about living on a boat vs. living on land but also owning a boat. Then, and only then, does it save you. Renting an apartment is going to be less expensive than boat payments plus loss of income on amount you spend plus slip cost plus maintenance on the boat.

As you think of a houseboat, the best comparison I can make is that it's like living in a mobile home on the water. Nice houseboat=nice mobile home. Not so nice houseboat=not so nice mobile home. A trawler will have a very different feel. Will feel like a boat but also the space is much different. In some ways it will feel smaller.

Living on either in the warm seasons is great. Just step out on your huge patio. During the winter, they tend to lose their glamour and the real issues of keeping warm dominate.

If you owned a boat, were into boating, I'd say live on it. But having to buy one just to live on is a bad investment.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom