Old 01-10-2013, 10:09 PM   #1
Al
Guru

City: ketchikan, Alaska
Vessel Name: 'SLO'~BELLE
Vessel Model: 1978 Marben-27' Flybridge Trawler Pilothouse Pocket Cruiser[
Lonesome Sad Tollycraft

Greetings to the forum

While walking the docks for exercise and checking the lines, I notice a 37 foot Tollycraft Long range Cruiser, in-decaying condition. I know they were built in l987 and damn few were constructed. The last mention many years ago seemingly called for less than 8 total or maybe on the West Coast. At any rate, this boat has twin 453 Jimmy's. It is a crime to see a classic such as this going down hill.
I know, go to a Tolly site, well I like THIS site and know that adult responses will ensue.
It would be nice to have confirmation on this model having core decks and what material the core is if that is the case. While the hull house is high out of the water, is the underwater hull similar to the more common 37 foot twin screw model of which many were constructed.
Looking forward to knowledge or site specific to continue research.
Thanks Many,
A.M.Johnson-Ketchikan (Bridge to Nowhere) Alaska
"Do not corner something that you know is meaner than you."

Al is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2013, 11:17 PM   #2
Scraping Paint

City: -
I don't know squat about Tollycrafts but as you know it's not uncommon for manufacturers to use the same hull mold for different boat configurations. If Tolly did the same thing, might the hull on the 37 LRC be virtually identical to the hull on the more common 37' model you mention?

And while I understand your feelings with regard to this site I think your question would probably get you the most meaningful answers if asked of the, or a, Tollycraft owners site. Art could probably direct you to such a site if you don't know of them already.

When people ask me for info about Grand Banks boats I always direct them to the GB owners site, never this or any other site. There are people on the owners sites who can probably tell you the number of fasteners used in every model the manufacturer ever made or the exact tint code of the paint used in the aft head or whatever.

Marin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2013, 12:25 AM   #3
Art
Guru

City: SF Bay Area
Vessel Model: Tollycraft 34' Tri Cabin
Quote:
Originally Posted by Al View Post
Greetings to the forum

While walking the docks for exercise and checking the lines, I notice a 37 foot Tollycraft Long range Cruiser, in-decaying condition. I know they were built in l987 and damn few were constructed. The last mention many years ago seemingly called for less than 8 total or maybe on the West Coast. At any rate, this boat has twin 453 Jimmy's. It is a crime to see a classic such as this going down hill.
I know, go to a Tolly site, well I like THIS site and know that adult responses will ensue.
It would be nice to have confirmation on this model having core decks and what material the core is if that is the case. While the hull house is high out of the water, is the underwater hull similar to the more common 37 foot twin screw model of which many were constructed.
Looking forward to knowledge or site specific to continue research.
Thanks Many,
A.M.Johnson-Ketchikan (Bridge to Nowhere) Alaska
"Do not corner something that you know is meaner than you."
Al -Visit http://www.tollycraftboatingclub.com/forums/index.php and use search feature. Simple to join and place your questions on thread. Answers will be forthcoming. You speaking of a Tolly like this picture?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Tolly Coastal Cruiser CCF05162010_00000.jpg
Views:	624
Size:	176.2 KB
ID:	15552  
Art is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2013, 03:33 PM   #4
Guru

Saw one a few years ago tied up at our guest dock. Since I owned a Tolly at the time, I went over and talked to the owner. The boat had a single Jimmy 4-53 mounted under the pilot house. The owner said it was a full displacement boat and one 4-53 did the job. What I found curious was the two seat chariot bridge. It looked like an afterthought add-on, but the owner assured me it was factory.
ancora is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2013, 03:49 PM   #5
Scraping Paint

City: -
The boat in Art's photo is an interesting configuration for a boat that's "only" 37 feet long. DeFever's basic pilothouse design--- and that's what this Tollycraft is in essence--- is generally not found until you get up into lengths over 45 feet.
Marin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2013, 04:53 PM   #6
Art
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by ancora View Post
Saw one a few years ago tied up at our guest dock. Since I owned a Tolly at the time, I went over and talked to the owner. The boat had a single Jimmy 4-53 mounted under the pilot house. The owner said it was a full displacement boat and one 4-53 did the job. What I found curious was the two seat chariot bridge. It looked like an afterthought add-on, but the owner assured me it was factory.
ancora - What model/size/year Tolly you own? BTW - on the similar one to picture that you spoke to owner about did you notice the 1/2 head in pilot house... also a factory build-out!
Old 01-11-2013, 05:49 PM   #7
Guru

At that time, we owned a 30 Tolly, before that a 26 Tolly. Got tired of the constant maintenance on the Mercruisers and went to a twin diesel boat.
Old 01-11-2013, 07:42 PM   #8
Al
Guru

Art, Yep, that is the one. Sure, I will go to the site you offered. Interesting that Ancora mentioned single screw. As these didn't or actually bow thrusters were not yet available (Right?) in l987, a single screw configuration with the high surface the boat presents would be a challenge in a windage/tidal/tight situation.
Thanks all.
A.M.Johnson
27'Marben pocket trawler
Old 01-11-2013, 09:44 PM   #9
Art
Guru

Quote:
Art, Yep, that is the one. Sure, I will go to the site you offered. Interesting that Ancora mentioned single screw. As these didn't or actually bow thrusters were not yet available (Right?) in l987, a single screw configuration with the high surface the boat presents would be a challenge in a windage/tidal/tight situation.
Thanks all.
A.M.Johnson
27'Marben pocket trawler
Al - Glad to assist!

See more re Tolly boats: Tolly Classified - Model Selection

Old 01-11-2013, 11:01 PM   #10
Al
Guru

Art, Follow through with the Tollycraft site below, Thanks AMJohnson
27' Marben pocket trawler

Greetings,
New member for the initial purpose of gaining information on a specific model of Tolly. Art, a Tolly owner from my trawler site suggested coming to this site.
The inquiry is built around the 37 Long Range Cruiser.
There is one in our harbor deteriorating at a steady pace. Prior to making an offer I would like to have a conversation with knowing parties as to the weak spots to look over in such a situation. I would offer that at the current time the majority of the deteriorate condition is superficial. Structure wise the concern is with leaking window and deck core conditions to look for.
What is the blister status for hulls built in the l978 era? Fuel tank material?
Is the hull configuration under water the same or similar to the 37 sedan or convertible?
Any other willing information will be welcome.
Thanks
A.M.Johnson
27 foot Marben pocket trawler
Old 01-11-2013, 11:49 PM   #11
Art
Guru

Quote:
Art, Follow through with the Tollycraft site below, Thanks AMJohnson
27' Marben pocket trawler

Greetings,
New member for the initial purpose of gaining information on a specific model of Tolly. Art, a Tolly owner from my trawler site suggested coming to this site.
The inquiry is built around the 37 Long Range Cruiser.
There is one in our harbor deteriorating at a steady pace. Prior to making an offer I would like to have a conversation with knowing parties as to the weak spots to look over in such a situation. I would offer that at the current time the majority of the deteriorate condition is superficial. Structure wise the concern is with leaking window and deck core conditions to look for.
What is the blister status for hulls built in the l978 era? Fuel tank material?
Is the hull configuration under water the same or similar to the 37 sedan or convertible?
Any other willing information will be welcome.
Thanks
A.M.Johnson
27 foot Marben pocket trawler
Al - I just placed a post under yours on Tolly Forum... to help you get the ball rolling! Good Luck & Cheers!! Art
Old 01-12-2013, 02:44 PM   #12
Guru

City: Seattle
Vessel Name: The Promise
Vessel Model: Roughwater 35
I'm sure Tolly fans have seen this, but others may not have.

Pacific Northwest Boating News: Timeless Tollys still turning heads as their creator turns 100 | Three Sheets Northwest
Old 01-12-2013, 03:29 PM   #13

Vessel Model: Gulfstar 38MC
Thanks, interesting article.

Sadly, a link at the bottom of the article is the story that he passed away a few months after he turned 100.
bluebyu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2013, 05:37 PM   #14
Art
Guru

Mr. Robert Merland Tollefson, i.e. "Tolly" Was an outstanding person. My poem eludes to some of his life matters.

“TOLLY POEM" For: Robert Merland Tollefson (And All Tolly Friends)
In honor of and in memory for Mr. Tolly, upon his passing, I felt compelled to share his poem with Tollycraft Forum.
March 2009 two personalized, bound copies of this poem were mailed to Gordon Graham. Gordon hand delivered Tolly his copy.
By, Art Burtis – Owner of 1977 Tollycraft, 34’ tri cabin with a very sunny deck, named, “The Office”

"TOLLY LIFE - AGELESS DESIGN"

Tolly grew rugged in Idaho snow; from very young age having mind on the go
Wisdom a factor runs strong in his genes; with good life to live, age builds means.
Respect and straight thought, passion for all; Tolly made living a time to stand tall.
Boats caught his attention, then attention caught fire; Tolly located his true heart’s desire.
Singing and acting he played for a while; but boats for dear Tolly stayed top of the pile.
Designing and building was study he chose; the more he thought boats, the higher thoughts rose.
No matter world times of depression so full; Tolly was always ready to pull.
A mag gave him plans for boat vessel to build; soon his life needs would start to be filled.
Wars come and go, as we all know; tis people as Tolly that finish the show.
Corvette boats, buoy tenders, tugs play a part; their captains, like Tolly, steer strong from their heart.
In war-times of duress, with hope at a low; sweet ice-cream for workers helps everything flow.
Lumber and millwork made Tolly do well; but boats were his passion, that he could tell.
Sudden wind blew cross his lumber shop tour; flames liked high toward ruin for sure.
He then caught insurance, dreaming sea-tales for comfort; twas his capability, to turn ruin triumphant.
Soon there were wisps of waves in his mind; he realized for certain twas time for sea-kind.
Up lifted he felt, knowing full well; as his own boat-filled ruler, success would foretell.
So, to boat designs Tolly entered his might; feeling quite rightly Tolly boats would take flight.
He grumbled, he garnered, Tolly worked his butt off; associates gathered to make his landing soft.
With effort and smarts he planned Tolly boat toys; each meant to be friendly for all women and big boys.
Outboard then inboard, in wood and then glass; 14 then 20 then 60 foot class.
Tolly and Monk, designers dejure; made big ones and small ones, grand selections for sure.
Months turned to years with decades to follow; Tolly’s great boats filled many a sea hollow.

Next thing Tolly knew a following grew tight; each asking him louder to continue his flight.
So keeping his premise of pay as you go; Tolly made commitment to let everyone know.
My Tollys are fashioned with pleasure in mind; fear not their built backbone, seaworthy you’ll find.
Humming along, his boat factory built; Tolly his mates with associates felt.
Offers came in from others that build; asking Tolly to join with their guild.
Carefully, methodically he searched with due diligence; through all of their figures and factory significance.
Each time does he find that when all the smoke clears; they are not as they premised, their books holding smears.
So back to his shop with sea waves in mind; each time to feel comfort as he worked with like kind.
One Tolly then another rolled through the front door, it felt like forever occurring for sure.
They patted each Tolly on the rump as it passed; giving boats ingenuity, via love that could last.
First they built wood, then built with glass; as all things traverse life forms, all eventually pass.
Decades ran by, many years of success; Tolly felt sure they could sell outright, creating no mess.
So sell it he did to a group with big funds; thinking they could play Tolly, with more decades of runs.

Too soon due to items that can hobble a giant; the cost of boat building became highly defiant.
Accountants played numbers, builders they built and salesmen they sold; no matter the efforts, Tollycraft’s end was foretold.
There were hiccups and belches, grand tries galore; all meant to save the once great Tolly store.
No matter how inventive, no matter how smart; no person got Tollycraft a financial restart.
Deep sadness was felt by all true believers; unfortunate conditions placed Tollycraft at hand of receivers.
Once a great effort comes to end of its line; tis best to take comfort from days of past time.
For years Robert Tollefson and friends broke new molds; of boats toward perfection as their designing unfolds.
Tolly boats changed yacht market’s complexion, with many fine seamen telling great recollection.
Tolly and Monk with all of their friends; never looked back as they prospered toward Tolly boat ends.
Now that it’s over, great memories galore; remember not Tolly nor Monk are who closed the door.
Six thousand five hundred Tollys or more; came to existence to travel the shore.
For keeping them going and in good repair, tis a fellow named Gordon whose always right there.

Great structure, design and rugged sea worthy; make all Tolly owners quite ready to survey.
Tolly’s true meaning at end of this show; a meaning deep seated, a reason to know.
On travel, the Tollys for all owners’ pleasure; a life of sea views toward great fun and leisure.
A century from now when we here are gone; there will be classic prized Tollys motoring on.
Great results from Tolly’s system is so simple to see; good endeavors are empowered by the operative word WE!

Successful regards, Mr. Tollefson. You are one great boat builder!

Art Burtis, a proud Tolly owner.

BOATS FOREVER!

Of necessity and for simplicity, floating devices were utilized by humans for transportation purposes long before the wheel was devised.
Via human ingenuity, intelligent boat designs became the natural outcropping.
Of necessity and for pleasure, floating devices that carry all manner of items will continue to be one of the most often used and intricately designed transportation devices.
Of pleasure, “power boating” and “sail boating” will always remain as one of the best recreational devices ever available, bar none!
By design, Tollycraft will always be a renowned name in boats.
Old 01-14-2013, 09:25 AM   #15

City: rice
top boats love them
FFishing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2013, 10:32 AM   #16
Guru

Saw an ancient glass-over-wood Tolly on a lowboy trailer headed for the landfill after being "cleaned" by a local boatyard. Most likely an impound vessel as there is a lot of that goin' on with the economy in the tank. The boats are impounded by the law due to non-payment of dock fees, put up for auction, and if not sold go to the landfill.
Old 01-14-2013, 11:14 AM   #17
Guru

City: Georgia
Quote:
Originally Posted by ancora View Post
Saw an ancient glass-over-wood Tolly on a lowboy trailer headed for the landfill after being "cleaned" by a local boatyard. Most likely an impound vessel as there is a lot of that goin' on with the economy in the tank. The boats are impounded by the law due to non-payment of dock fees, put up for auction, and if not sold go to the landfill.

Interesting. Same thing with mortgaged boats? Wouldn't the lender want to get it?
Rambler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2013, 02:10 PM   #18
Guru

We have an outfit here in San Diego that handles the repo boats. There is a whole slew of them availible. My previous boat was a repo I bought from a bank. The P.O. placed a lien on the boat but the bank handled the whole thing.
Old 01-23-2013, 11:15 AM   #19
Guru

On Yachtworld, San Diego...1972 40 foot Tolly with 3160 Cats, with only 900 hours, for $39,500. Was it a repower or did they come with those engines?
Old 12-06-2013, 06:33 PM   #20

City: Crescent Beach
Tolly 37 LRC

HI, I'm a little late to the discussion but I may have some useful info for you. I am the owner of the Tolly 37 Trawler Harmony. My wife and I have owned her for 11 years during which we have spent a minimum of 4 months cruising aboard every year.
I saw the lonesome Tolly you are referring to three years ago when we cruised to Alaska. It was under a cover but looking very neglected at that time.
We have enjoyed our experience with Harmony tremendously. She is the roomiest 37 footer imaginable and ideal for a couple.
Let me know if you are still interested in details of the model and I will give you the benefit of my experience.

TollyLRC37 is offline   Reply With Quote