Old 12-07-2013, 08:43 AM   #21
Guru

City: Port Townsend
Vessel Name: The Promise
Vessel Model: Roughwater 35
The 37 LRC is a very cool looking boat. I'd love to see more pictures. I did find this:
dhmeissner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2013, 09:18 AM   #22
Guru

Tollycraft Family, Friends, Boats | PassageMaker
Old 12-07-2013, 10:46 AM   #23
Guru

City: Portland, OR
Vessel Name: Our Heaven
Vessel Model: 1997 4800 Navigator
Nwow that's one boat I would sell the currentTolly for. Love the lines! Looks like a well thought out layout. Classic!
“Try something you could fail at. We all do things that we can comfortably achieve, but rarely do we set the high bar one notch above what we think we can clear, and that’s what’s driving me on here.” Lieutenant Colonel Alastair Edward Henry Worsley MBE (4 October 1960 – 24 January 2016) Explorer
bshillam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2013, 01:28 PM   #24
Art
Guru

City: SF Bay Area
Vessel Model: Tollycraft 34' Tri Cabin
Sausalito, CA circa 2010. Tollycraft Costal Cruiser, mid to late 1970's model... Was in process of refinish. Never heard back from owner after initial contact. He supplied picture.
Attached Thumbnails
Tolly Coastal Cruiser CCF05162010_00000.jpg  
Art is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2013, 02:48 AM   #25
Al
Guru

City: ketchikan, Alaska
Vessel Name: 'SLO'~BELLE
Vessel Model: 1978 Marben-27' Flybridge Trawler(extended to 30 feet) Pilothouse Pocket Cruiser[
TollyRC37- Yep the rig is still in that condition.maybe even in more disarray. Know of the owners. However, I fear that the condition would warrant a suggested purchase price that would embarrass and at the same time, if successful, would lead to some hidden cost that are not friendly!! Happy to have decided to stay with a single screw rig that suits us just fine for the moment. Tragic to see such a craft go down hill.
Al
Al is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2015, 11:17 PM   #26
Al
Guru

Vessel Model: 1978 Marben-27' Flybridge Trawler(extended to 30 feet) Pilothouse Pocket Cruiser[
Quote:
Originally Posted by TollyLRC37 View Post
HI, I'm a little late to the discussion but I may have some useful info for you. I am the owner of the Tolly 37 Trawler Harmony. My wife and I have owned her for 11 years during which we have spent a minimum of 4 months cruising aboard every year.
I saw the lonesome Tolly you are referring to three years ago when we cruised to Alaska. It was under a cover but looking very neglected at that time.
We have enjoyed our experience with Harmony tremendously. She is the roomiest 37 footer imaginable and ideal for a couple.
Let me know if you are still interested in details of the model and I will give you the benefit of my experience.

TLRC3- The wife of the 37 LRC in Ketchikan recently passed. the widower was walking by our boat a few days ago. In casual conversation it was noted that he was contemplating selling. If you thought the boat was in sad condition back in 13, you can anticipate the condition after two more years laying idle.

No- I advised the owner who knew of my earlier lust for the boat, I was not interested at this date. We had and have made the required changes to our Marben to give it the best sea conditions and performance plus at 78 I am not about to start over.

This being said before a sneak down to view the boat with a bit of interest in current status. Well, electrical panel on the bridge deck is open and the overhead to the fly bridge electrical/control access is open and missing with wires hanging down all about. Boat exterior is totally 'green' from the elements mixed with gull droppings of years.

The owner has impacted the widows against some obstruction resulting in cracked salon windows and deformed window frames.
Just a total waste of a wonderful (Novel?) boat as you well know.

When the owner declared fuel tankage at 2x300 gallons and water at 100 gallons all I could picture was "Steel Tanks", aft decks torn up for access, and the cost of a bit smaller 100 plus gallon fuel tanks, replacement of water tanks (300 gallon?) both in aluminum, plus off set ballast, the picture became even more clear in favor of writing you the conditions knowing you share common pain for boats not maintained. Were I to have the ability to transfer photos from my phone to the Forum, I'd send photos.
Regards,
Al-Ketchikan
Old 11-30-2015, 11:40 PM   #27
Art
Guru

City: SF Bay Area
Vessel Model: Tollycraft 34' Tri Cabin
Quote:
Originally Posted by Al View Post

When the owner declared fuel tankage at 2x300 gallons and water at 100 gallons all I could picture was "Steel Tanks", aft decks torn up for access, and the cost of a bit smaller 100 plus gallon fuel tanks, replacement of water tanks (300 gallon?) both in aluminum, plus off set ballast, the picture became even more clear in favor of writing you the conditions knowing you share common pain for boats not maintained. Were I to have the ability to transfer photos from my phone to the Forum, I'd send photos.
Regards,
Al-Ketchikan
Hi Al - Sorry to learn the sad news; but, thanks for sharing. Don't think Tolly's came with steel tankage??... Stout aluminum is all I ever hear of and is what we have. - Best regards, Art
Art is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2016, 08:20 PM   #28

City: Amsterdam
Holy crap the 37' lrc in Ketchikan use to be my wife and mine we bought the boat I think in 2000 or 99 in Seattle we got married and was our first home our home port was Craig Alaska. When we bought it we had a full two long day survey done on it when we bought it I would have rated her at 6.5 out of ten...when we sold her she was a very solid 9 maybe 9.5😀. I went at seen her about 5 years ago while on a moose hunting trip..I almost balled like a baby when I seen her.... she use to be such a wonderful boat.. my only complaint was in big following seas she would get squirrelly...awesome enclosed pilot house great for SE Alaska sad to hear about the owners wife passing am assume same couple that bought from me.....
Montana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2016, 10:46 PM   #29
Al
Guru

Quote "went at seen her about 5 years ago while on a moose hunting trip..I almost balled like a baby when I seen her.... she use to be such a wonderful boat.. my only complaint was in big following seas she would get squirrelly...awesome enclosed pilot house great for SE Alaska sad to hear about the owners wife passing am assume same couple that bought from me..... "

To the best of my knowledge, the owner purchased the boat either out of Sitka or it was from Sitka and sold in Ketchikan. So it must be you right?
I too walk by the boat often, Were I a bit younger, a chance I'd take, not now.
I feel the same about my last boat (wood) that I sold to a gentleman who had no idea of what a wood boat entailed, he in turn out of inability to utilize the boat, sold it to a character who has been the death of many a wood boat which will include ours soon. Tragic.

Al-Ketchikan
Old 07-11-2016, 07:13 PM   #30

City: Snohomish
Al,

I am fearing that is our old boat "Gizmo". She was hull #1 of the 37.6' LRC Series. She was featured at the 1977 Seattle Boat Show in the Seattle Center Coliseum. Supposedly they built 7 or 8 of this model.

We loved her dearly but the previous 2 owners did not do much to keep her up. She mostly stayed at the dock much like a summer cabin. They did not put in an algae agent such as BioBor. The tanks were hopelessly clogged with algae and after many attempts at fuel polishing the only alternative was to replace the tanks for very major $$$ which we could not afford. In spite of that we cruised Gizmo extensively in Puget Sound and BC while constantly changing the Racor filters.
We reluctantly had to sell her about 15 years ago. She was lifted onto a barge and sent to AK to become a live aboard. We sure miss her....
We now have a 32' Uniflite which we like a lot. We sure do miss all the room and comfort of that old tub. We still keep all the brochures and other flyers that Old Man Tolly signed years ago at a Tolly Rendezvous in Sydney. As he put it, "Me and Ed Monk Jr. sat down over a jug Jack Daniel's to design this boat and you now own it". HA!

Al, if you have a picture of her, we sure would like to see it, I think.....
Gizmo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2016, 07:27 PM   #31
Guru

Only 7 or 8 really? What a great boat, how many are left do you think?
Old 07-11-2016, 07:38 PM   #32
Master and Commander

City: Vallejo CA
Vessel Name: Carquinez Coot
Vessel Model: penultimate Seahorse Marine Coot hull #6
Ooops, responded to the wrong post.
Old 07-11-2016, 09:15 PM   #33
Al
Guru

Sent a PM to your attention. In review I note your action was 15 years ago. I didn't ask the name or town of the sale in Alaska. In my PM I mention 15-16 years ago being the time of the sale notice in some publication here in Alaska, I believe it was through a local newspaper as Craigslist and such were not in existence.
When next I meet the current owner I will make inquiry as to his acquiring the boat, nice fellow, lately a widower.
Regards, Al

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gizmo View Post
Al,

We reluctantly had to sell her about 15 years ago. She was lifted onto a barge and sent to AK to become a live aboard. We sure miss her....
We now have a 32' Uniflite which we like a lot. We sure do miss all the room and comfort of that old tub. We still keep all the brochures and other flyers that Old Man Tolly signed years ago at a Tolly Rendezvous in Sydney. As he put it, "Me and Ed Monk Jr. sat down over a jug Jack Daniel's to design this boat and you now own it". HA!

Al, if you have a picture of her, we sure would like to see it, I think.....
Old 07-11-2016, 11:49 PM   #34

Quote:
Originally Posted by dhmeissner View Post
Only 7 or 8 really? What a great boat, how many are left do you think?
I was told that there were 3 or 4 lost to a big dock fire and that there was only 3 or 4 left...
Old 07-12-2016, 12:11 AM   #35

Quote:
Originally Posted by Al View Post
Sent a PM to your attention. In review I note your action was 15 years ago. I didn't ask the name or town of the sale in Alaska. In my PM I mention 15-16 years ago being the time of the sale notice in some publication here in Alaska, I believe it was through a local newspaper as Craigslist and such were not in existence.
When next I meet the current owner I will make inquiry as to his acquiring the boat, nice fellow, lately a widower.
Regards, Al
That is very interesting my wife worked for the barge company so it was cheaper to ship via barge.... Funny about the fuel tanks I do not know if I ever treated it or not I only ever plunged one fuel filter in a nasty storm stirred up a bunch of crap but never had a alge problem... I probable only ever changed fuel filters every 250 hrs ... I had that engine room clean enough you could drop a steak on the floor and pick it up and eat it... ( no easy task in a engine room with jimmy's it it). My wife spent countless hours totally redoing the wood we put a dehumidifier in it and a Dickerson stove for heat...had to do some re wiring and get ride of the most stupid ever bilge pumps and tottaly redid them on her but there is hardly a day goes buy that I do not mis her...that enclosed helm was perfect for s.e. Alaska weather and great visibility ... I hauled a few deer to the back Davits with that blue zodiac with the 8 hp . Just winch the deer up I had a 6 ' custom cutting board made for the stern cut up the deer or halibut . I then made a new seat for the flying bridge fiberglass made it big enough to put a 8 cubic foot chest freezer in it . To make sure to keep any mess out of the boat . I even fited her with electronic down riggers that would read the bottom and keep the ball just off the bottom (unbeatable for halibut fishing) when I seen her a few years ago I was in shock and could not bring myself to take a picture... I am trying to remember what the name of it originally was something had to do with a giraf ? Can't remember....I believe I bought her just after thanksgiving in 1999 on my way back from a Marlin fishing trip,to Cabo my wife and I got married that dec 31 1999 was going to get married on her but was worried that if it was to ruff out to get to international waters to be 100% legal decided not to at the last second.....
Old 07-12-2016, 02:58 PM   #36
Al
Guru

Confused, Are you and Gizmo speaking to the same boat? I have inserted in your quote questions. AMJ

Quote:
Originally Posted by Montana View Post
That is very interesting my wife worked for the barge company so it was cheaper to ship via barge.(Where in Alaska did you ship the boat?)... Funny about the fuel tanks I do not know if I ever treated it or not I only ever plunged one fuel filter in a nasty storm stirred up a bunch of crap but never had a alge problem... I probable only ever changed fuel filters every 250 hrs ...-(Two stories-Different boats?) I had that engine room clean enough you could drop a steak on the floor and pick it up and eat it... ( no easy task in a engine room with jimmy's it it).(This boat does have the 453 Jimmies) My wife spent countless hours totally redoing the wood we put a dehumidifier in it and a Dickerson stove for heat.(I recall it has a Dickerson type corner stove not a oil cook stove)..had to do some re wiring and get ride of the most stupid ever bilge pumps and tottaly redid them on her but there is hardly a day goes buy that I do not mis her...that enclosed helm was perfect for s.e. Alaska weather and great visibility ... I hauled a few deer to the back Davits with that blue zodiac with the 8 hp(This boat has the double arm davit.You would not be able to swing a deer onboard as they are transom level) . Just winch the deer up I had a 6 ' custom cutting board made for the stern cut up the deer or halibut . I then made a new seat for the flying bridge fiberglass made it big enough to put a 8 cubic foot chest freez(no chest on upper deck) er in it . To make sure to keep any mess out of the boat . I even fited her with electronic down riggers that would read the bottom and keep the ball just off the bottom (unbeatable for halibut fishing) when I seen her a few years ago I was in shock and co(No down riggers or sign of such)uld not bring myself to take a picture... I am trying to remember what the name of it originally was something had to do with a giraf ? Can't remember....I believe I bought her just after thanksgiving in 1999 on my way back from a Marlin fishing trip,to Cabo my wife and I got married that dec 31 1999 was going to get married on her but was worried that if it was to ruff out to get to international waters to be 100% legal decided not to at the last second.....
Old 07-12-2016, 10:43 PM   #37
Al
Guru

Clarification on the Ketchikan LRC Tolly!!

Montana and Gizmo- Buy yourselves a beer!! You both owned the boat.

To day while checking my boat and doing the usual float walk talking to other boaters, I glanced out to the Narrows and there before my lying eyes was the Linda, (Gizmo) racing out of the harbor. Both Jimmies were screaming at WOT.
As surprised as I was, I walked over to the float the boat uses anticipating the boat's return as following the WOT event where plumes of blue smoke blotted out the air, the boat came to a full stop. Then a slow return to the harbor where a most painful effort at docking was viewed. In assisting the two members on board with lines, often held to the end where the lines had to be released and a shout to the boat crew to pick them out of the water pronto or the wheels, which were in forward and reverse at times unknown for what, would suck the lines up.
After a series of back and forth, with neighboring boat owners shouting and pushing, the boat was secured.
A discussion after securing found the following. The boat was purchased from a guy from Montana in Craig, Alaska. The boat WAS named 'Gizmo'.
and yes there is a freezer on the flybridge, and yes there is a Dickenson heater in the salon.
Now, if you want photos, I need you to text me at (907) 617 0710 as I have photos on my phone but not on my computer and I only know how to send photos from my phone.
Regards,
Al-Ketchikan Marben 27' pocket CRUISER
Old 07-13-2016, 03:07 AM   #38

I had it shipped to ketchikan i was based at the time out of craig. I took off the downriggers when i sold her . to be honest i do not think I want to see any pictures .... if you could text my wife she would like to se her... 406 580 4417
Old 07-13-2016, 01:18 PM   #39
Al
Guru

Done!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Montana View Post
I had it shipped to ketchikan i was based at the time out of craig. I took off the downriggers when i sold her . to be honest i do not think I want to see any pictures .... if you could text my wife she would like to se her... 406 580 4417

Al-Ketchikan-27' Marben pocket cruiser