Hey! What about us Flemings???

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I'd like to know more. Peter Flemings video series from Alaska to the Med was fantastic!

Whoopsies, and that's not the first time I've done that! Apologies to Mr. Tony Fleming. Beautifully crafted boats.
I couldn't agree more! Fleming is on my top 5 boats I lust after.:smitten:

We looked at Flemings closely during our selection process. Very nice boats!

I had a nice conversation with Tony last weekend. He has a full cruising schedule coming up with an April departure for Valdez planned for "Venture." One interesting thing they have done is to remove the Cummins and put in Mans, as a test. No doubt he and his vessels are the real deal. Few vessels in the past decades have successfully raised the bar as have Flemings.

I had a nice conversation with Tony last weekend. He has a full cruising schedule coming up with an April departure for Valdez planned for "Venture." One interesting thing they have done is to remove the Cummins and put in Mans, as a test. No doubt he and his vessels are the real deal. Few vessels in the past decades have successfully raised the bar as have Flemings.
Thats great to hear. MANS needs to have their reputation boosted in the cruising world. Too much misinformation spread about on these motors. In the Sportfish and larger motoryacht world these engines are 'the aces'. German, diesel, and a company started by Rudoph Diesel-what could be better?

Were the MANS not installed in 2007 at Delta Marine here in Sidney BC in Venture I?

Here's a Fleming going under the Lion's Gate bridge.

Attachments

• Fleming Yacht.jpg
    Fleming Yacht.jpg
    170.4 KB · Views: 149
Would love to have a 55ft Fleming...................too much for my pocket book

Fleming Yachts

I was at the Seattle Boat Show where Venture was on display. My desired Fleming configuration would be the new 58, with the midship master stateroom, the forward queen, and the port bunks. The base price for the Fleming 58, as listed on their brochure, was 2.8 million. Equipped, it would likely be over 3 million. I also looked at a 2009 Selene 55 Wide Body, fully equipped, beautiful woodwork, totally equipped, for 1.1 million, with the same layout. It seems to me that Fleming is gearing their boats to the very wealthy who are seeking a ultra-premium product. I guess that a consumer has to decide if a Fleming is worth 1.5+ million more than a Nordhavn, Krogen, Selene, or similar product.

Comparing new to new is more indicative. But, you are right, tkr, Flemings are expensive, as are they all. Having recently gone through the new boat buying exercise in this size range, Nordhavn seemed the best buy. However speed costs in the Fleming, and rewards too.

As to the Mans comment. I agree they get less respect than they deserve. They're used widely in performance oriented boats and we've been very pleased in a Riva.

As to Fleming, I like the boats a great deal. I like the new 58 the most of all design wise. I think it's a great update. A lot more boat than the 55. And you'll never hear negative talk about a Fleming. I also like that they're offering some larger engine choices for slightly more speed.

Anybody that cut their teeth with Grand Banks is ok with me. I really like the Flemings but way out of my pocket book.

I had a friend with a Michelson that had Man diesels. He had problems with it, parts are three to four times higher than Detroit diesel parts and when he sold it was the one thing that stopped a lot of potential buyers. He did sell but at a reduced price and the engines were working perfect then too.

My wife and I also liked the Fleming but in the end decided it was just too much boat for two old timers to deal with. Too high too much trim too much equipment just a bit overwhelming for are simple protected water cruising. Had we planed to go farther afield and have crew or guests it would be a first choice contender.

I was going to buy a Fleming but they absolutely refuse to extend the boat deck so it covers the cockpit, not withstanding I'm a couple of mils short.

The Flemming is my favorite production boat.

Interestingly, Tony Fleming was once the manager of the yard at American Marine (Grand Banks). When he left to start his own company, he took American Marine's only copy of the "how to build a fiberglass boat the right way" book that Howard Abbey, the man who designed and built the molds for the fiberglass versions of the GB36 and 42, had written for American Marine, with him.

According to interviews with Howard that I've read, this so messed up American Marine's ability to keep their Grand Banks hull construction process consistent and problem-free they twice brought Howard back to solve their hull layup problems.

Fortunately, our old '73 GB was from the first batch of fiberglass GBs made, so the hull layup was personally supervised by Howard (he left American Marine halfway through 1974).

Anyway, Flemings are a beautiful interpretation of deFever's original pilothouse design. We were seriously contemplating moving up to a Fleming 55 until we decided to do something different. But for a production boat, I believe Fleming is at the absolute top of the list, certainly from an aesthetic standpoint. And from what we've heard from the few owners we've talked to, they are tops from the quality operational, and reliability aspects, too.

Back
Top Bottom