Old 07-16-2013, 10:41 PM   #41
TF Site Team

City: California Delta and SF Bay
Vessel Name: FlyWright
Vessel Model: Marshall Californian 34 LRC
Welcome to the club, Osprey37! Tell us more about your Loop trip sometime.

Custom Google Trawler Forum Search
FlyWright is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2014, 01:46 PM   #42

City: Kenosha, WI
Vessel Name: Tortuga
Vessel Model: Hershine 37
Hershine 37 same boat as Albin 36

In the process of researching a Hershine 37 I found out from Brian Smith @ ADC that the Albin 36 and the Hershine 37 are one and the same boat, all made at the Hershine Yard. His family sold them all the Lehman 120's found in almost all of them. The Hershines were sold mostly on West Coast and the Albins on the East Coast. Once you look at a few on Yachtworls, you will see, they are the same. 11 Hershine 37s and 81 Albin 36 on YW currently.

Greatlaker221 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2014, 02:46 PM   #43

City: San Francisco
Vessel Name: Paradox
Yes, the hull, deck, and structure all seem to be the same with a few differences. Access to the bridge on stb side. Master cabin layout a bit different with no aft entry and head/tub aft. Everything else seems basically the same. I wonder if the hull is a foot shorter - why the 36 instead of the 37??? Engine compartment seems identical. I love mine.
billsteele is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2014, 09:11 PM   #44

I think that the Marine Trader 36 is out of the same mold as well. I would be interested to know how many of these boats that are Ford 120 powered are marinized by bowman from England vs Lehman. I too am very comfortable with our boat. There is always wishing there is a little more room for storage but over all it suits us well. Single engine, bow thruster and all the comforts of home and the ability to travel along way with low fuel consumption.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	244.jpg
Views:	285
Size:	112.1 KB
ID:	29276  
The Great North West
Slowboat 37 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2014, 11:40 PM   #45

City: San Francisco
Vessel Name: Paradox
Do you ever use your steadying sail? I took my mast down to paint it and enjoyed the openness to the sun deck without the standing rigging. Now that it is back up I wonder if I will ever use it? I don't have radar so I don't need the mast as a platform. The next time I go out on a breezy day in the San Francisco Bay I will hoist it and see if it indeed steadys the ride.
billsteele is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2014, 10:35 AM   #46

City: Kent
Hi all you 37 owners. I am looking into buying a 37 Hershine. Any advise a pre owner should look out for or know? All advise will be well taken. Thanks,
avidjohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2014, 11:52 AM   #47

City: Cape Cod, MA or Fort Myers, FL
Vessel Name: Osprey
Vessel Model: Her Shine. Newburyport
I recently purchased a 1987 37' Hershine Newburyport and love it. It's a 1987 so shopping for newer equipment.
Capecodder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2014, 03:38 PM   #48

City: Juneau
Vessel Name: Lady Cherish
Vessel Model: 1978 CHB Heritage 39' Tricabin Trawler
Hershine Boats

I've just done some serious research on Hershine Boats, since I'm in the process of possibly buying one in Everett, WA, a 1980 model 37' with a single Ford Lehman in her. I've discovered that the company went from being a fishing fleet in Taiwan of 12 boats to building their own boats, then using the same trawler hulls to build pleasure craft, starting in 1977... Noting that several of you have posted with 1978 or 1979 models, you were among the first ones they built for the export market. In 1982, Jefferson Boats approached them about expanding their product line to build motor yachts and trawlers for them, as they wanted to do more than just houseboats. Hence they've been continuously expanding, now with a mainland China plant for the smaller boats under 50', with the original Taiwan plant building just the larger custom orders, with over 150 employees just in the Taiwan plant.

My wife and I have given up the "big dream" of converting our 1978 Chien Hua 39' Heritage from a Tri-Cabin to a Europa-style with raised Pilot House, and are hoping to not lose too much of our initial investment in selling her as a "project boat," since all the plywood under the fiberglass shell of the cabin and decks rotted out due to sloppy care by the previous owners... I bought it as a "sweat equity investment," not realizing just how much work she would really be... Too much work and money for the limited potential of return if we have to sell it, so rather than invest so much into the year+ project, we just will settle for a boat in close configuration to the one we already have, but in usable condition. If I make the deal on the 37' Hershine, it will be a very safe investment, since I'm getting it about $15-K below market value, and everything is in good shape except the Onan Generator, which is partially disassembled... But I have been doing generator repair work for more than 35 years, so will either repair or replace it.
JungleJim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2014, 03:46 PM   #49

It appears that many different brands of Taiwan-constructed boats shared the same basic hull configurations, especially in the late-'70's and early-'80's... Indeed, many brands were built as basic hulls, then erected by different "families" which consisted of different crews who rotated through the different actual marketing companies. Chien Hua no longer builds boats for export under their own name to the USA, but their factory produces the Kady Krogen line, as well as several other brands.
Old 06-05-2014, 06:29 PM   #50
THD
Guru

City: Seattle
JJ-has Chien Hwa changed their name? KKs are built by Asia Harbor Boat Builders.
THD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2014, 08:38 PM   #51

Churn Hua/Kady Krogen

The word I got when researching my own CH was that they were no longer marketing under their original name, since numerous family members were using the "CHB" initials, the biggest being Chien's close relative, Chung Hua, who died in a motorcycle wreck several years ago, but whose family yet carries on the business. Like many other Taiwan-based boat builders, with the unification of China, they have opened new plants on the Mainland to capitalize on cheaper labor & materials, retaining their best products for their Taiwan plants... Outsourcing happens there, too! With their major line being KK now, their name needed to change to have no confusion with "CHB". They also build several other brands in the same factories, all marketed under DIFFERENT company names... The very same manufacturing plants can bear several names!
Old 06-16-2014, 07:41 AM   #52
Veteran Member

City: Camano island wa
Vessel Name: Pert'Near
Vessel Model: hershine 37
My wife and I should close on our 37 hershine later this week. We are very excited and have many questions about different things on our new boat!
jetmech59 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2014, 10:03 PM   #53

Hershine 37

Congrats, I'm sure you will like yours as much as we do ours. What was the year? I'm always curious to see the different layouts that come in these boats.
The Great North West
Old 06-17-2014, 11:23 PM   #54
Veteran Member

Ours is a 1981 there will be more pics after I take possession and start cleaning her up.
Old 06-18-2014, 08:23 AM   #55
Guru

City: Tuckerton, NJ
Vessel Name: WIRELESS ONE
Vessel Model: 36 Gulstar MarkII
Quote:
Originally Posted by jetmech59 View Post
Ours is a 1981 there will be more pics after I take possession and start cleaning her up.
Congrats so where are the pictures? I'm just joking but pictures would be nice.
Bill
Billylll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2014, 09:12 AM   #56
Veteran Member

All I have right now is when she was hauled out for the survey. I ll try to get that one up.
Old 06-18-2014, 09:43 PM   #57
Veteran Member

Well I did get some pictures in an album. Not to tech savy but I am gonna need all the help I can get with this project.
Old 07-09-2014, 07:04 PM   #58
Veteran Member

We just purchased our Hershine 37. A 1980 IN everett wa.
Old 07-09-2014, 08:24 PM   #59

City: Cape Cod, MA or Fort Myers, FL
Vessel Name: Osprey
Vessel Model: Her Shine. Newburyport
Hope you love yours as much as I love my 1987
Capecodder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2014, 10:28 PM   #60

Quote:
Originally Posted by Capecodder View Post
Hope you love yours as much as I love my 1987
Ditto, My 79. I am in the process of adding radar,chart plotter to the bridge. Modified the mast to support the extra weight of the open array antenna. Plus some standing rigging. Pics are coming. Lets see some of the new boat as soon as you can. I Know it's a busy time though. That's mine on the website header as you sign out.

The Great North West