Old 10-22-2012, 09:26 AM   #21
TF Site Team

City: Brisbane
Vessel Name: Lotus
Vessel Model: Clipper (CHB) 34 Sedan/Europa style
Send a message via Skype™ to Peter B
You'd need the 25kg (55lb), and 3/8 (10mm) chain for the boat your size I would say.
A similar weight for SuperSarca and maybe a 22kg version for Sarca Excel.
Rocna is definitely available in the US, the Sarca should be by now....
http://www.anchorright.com.au/produc...a-excel-anchor
Sizing Chart Rocna Anchors

Peter B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2012, 11:57 AM   #22

City: Portland OR
Thanks Peter B!

When i get the new anchor I'll be sure to post pics

PDX37Hershine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2012, 12:01 PM   #23

Looks like they have (anchorrights) a distributor in Seattle. Do you have a preference?
Old 10-22-2012, 12:06 PM   #24

So how much chain would I need?
Old 10-22-2012, 12:10 PM   #25

OK, I'm a noob so I can ask dumb questions, do you have chain recommendations? Small link? Stainless? thanks!
Old 10-22-2012, 04:00 PM   #26
Scraping Paint

City: -
W have a Rocna 20 (20kg, 44#) on our 30,000# GB36. This was the size recommended by Rocna when I called them in New Zealand way back when to talk to them about their anchors and shipping one to the US. According to what they told me, the size they recommended for our boat was for "real" conditions, like storms and such, not just fair weather use.

The Rocna 20 fits fine on our pulpit. There is a boat on our dock now with a Rocna 25 which I don't think was offered at the time we bought our Rocna (about six or seven years ago). I think its shank may be a tad too long for our pulpit but if your boat can accommodate it I think it would be a good size to get.

We have all-chain rode, 200.' If we were buying the rode today we'd get 250.' The chain has to be sized to the wildcat on the windlass obviously, and the best way to do this is to either remove the wildcat and take it to the chain store or have the store whack off a foot or so of the chain you think you want so you can take it to the boat and make sure it fits the wildcat properly. If the links don't fit the wildcat properly it can jump and skip as it's going out or coming in. Just because a chain has the same measurement as your wildcat (3/8", 5/16", etc.) that is not a guarantee it will fit correctly. So you should check the fit physically before buying the chain. I would use galvanized chain over stainless.

If you don't know much about anchoring I would highly recommend the book "The Complete Book of Anchoring and Mooring" by Earl Hinz. Best book available on all aspects of anchoring. I don't know if it's been updated to include the so-called "new generation"" anchors like the rollbar anchors, but regardless, the techniques and practices he describes don't go out of date.
Marin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2012, 04:49 PM   #27

Wonderful information, thank you!

the book is ordered!

Since we are in the "noobie" zone, are there any other books/software/guides that you consider "must haves"? I know there are a million things but like the anchoring book there are usually some specific things that set the foundation to build on.

any help is much appreciated.

Boat Update.. just talked to CO, boat is being surveyed and pulled this week, have a trucker lined up or may have a captain who will cruise it to Portland! Hard to stay patient!
Old 10-22-2012, 07:37 PM   #28
Scraping Paint

The Radar Book by Kevin Monahan is a good treatise on using a modern recreational boat radar.

How to Read a Nautical Chart by Nigel Calder, is a good text on that subject. Even if you use an electronic chart plotter as most of us do, knowing the chart symbols and so forth is needed for that, too.

Marine Diesel Engines, also by Nigel Calder, is a good source of information on diesel basics. Other than changing oil, belts, filters, and raw water pump impellers I don't work on our engines. But Calder's book gave me a good basic understanding about how our Ford Lehman 120 Jurassic Edition engines work.

Given the large amount of bright exterior teak on your boat (which ours also has) I would highly recommend Brightwork: The Art of Finishing Wood by Rebecca Wittman.

And since I gather you're going to be living aboard you will become intimately acquainted with the heads, holding tank(s), and sanitary plumbing over time. So you might want to get a copy of Get Rid of Boat Odors: A Boat Owner's Guide to Marine Sanitation Systems and Other Sources of Aggravations and Odor by Peggie Hall.
Old 10-22-2012, 07:59 PM   #29
Moderator Emeritus

Try to stay objective until the the survey is done. You may yet want to chat to the seller about price, something is sure to come up on a 1979 boat. There is a Hershine 37 we see occasionally, they are a handsome large volume boat.
I found the Anchoring book by Earl Hinz helpful too. The last edition is 2001 so it does not cover some new developments in anchors, like Sarca and Rocna.
I believe gal steel chain is more malleable than s/steel and the better choice. Costs less too. Likewise no need for a s/steel anchor. BruceK
BruceK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2012, 06:01 AM   #30
TF Site Team

City: Brisbane
Vessel Name: Lotus
Vessel Model: Clipper (CHB) 34 Sedan/Europa style
Send a message via Skype™ to Peter B
Hershine, another word of caution. There are two sizes of chain for each link thickness - well here in Oz anyway. One, and the commonest used for anchor winches, is called short link, and the other is long link, and not usually used for anchoring. There are also different grades of guaranteed quality, ie tested v's untested in terms of ultimate strength, so make sure you specify it is for anchor grade, and check out the link length as well as like thickness. My gypsy needs 10mm (3/8) short link for example.
Did you locate the US Anchorright distributor..?
If not you might like to try here.....

Joseph B. H. Smith
Director, Special Projects
-----------------------------

(Response Products & Equipment Sales Division)
9520 10th Avenue South - Suite #175
Seattle WA 98108
PH: 206-378-4101; Fax: 206-378-4103
Mobile# 206-423-2661
Email: jbhsmith@nrcc.com
(Note: Formerly SEACOR Environmental Products LLC)
Peter B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2012, 09:43 AM   #31

Thank you thank you! I love the boating community!

I will garner the books mentioned right away.

Thank you for the info on the chains, I have seen reference to link length, didn't really make sense till now..

Ahhhhh toilets. So one toilet is what I believe is called an electro san? The other is a more typical looking NASA designed multi handle toilet.

Before I open that can of... well ... um "worms" if I am going to start a discussion about toilets is there a specific thread, or maybe even its own forum :-) about marine toilets?
Old 10-24-2012, 09:47 AM   #32

I wanted to share this little bit with you all...

So my closing date on my house slipped a week, CO was VERY cool and didn't pitch a fit, in fact he sent along this snippet...

He is taking the boat to port townsend from bainbridge island to be ready for haul out and survey...
I had sent an email about the date change.. he sent back he was OK with it, then a little later sent this..

"On the way to Port Townsend, Sitting back with autopilot driving, tv playing a game, fireplace is on.... sweet ride!"
Old 10-24-2012, 09:54 AM   #33

Wow, when I looked up Nigel Calder books, he also has done works explaining einstiens relativity?!! Holy Cow, I hope I don't have to understand Einstien to maintain the boat!
Old 10-24-2012, 10:11 AM   #34

The brightwork book must be amazing, 451.00?
Old 10-24-2012, 04:01 PM   #35
Scraping Paint

The only thing I can think of is that Rebecca's brightwork book is out of print and there is a very high demand for it. We bought our hardbound copy new in a marine store--- Fisheries, West Marine, I don't remember-- not long after buying the GB. As I recall the cover price was thirty-something dollars.

A quick perusal of internet hits showed some used paperback copies in the thirty dollar range.

There was a current atlas published in this area a long time ago called Cap'n Jack's Current Atlas. Just a basic large paperback book, it covered the area from Puget Sound to the north end of Vancouver Island/Cape Caution if not farther up. It's the only current atlas to my knowledge that's ever covered this wide a range. The atlas itself never goes out of date: every year they published the tables that you used to determine which current chart in the atlas matched the day and time you were interested in.

The atlas went out of print years ago but somebody kept publishing the annual current tables (and still does). Problem is the tables are useless without the atlas. I managed to find a copy from a used bookstore on the internet and bought it for about $25. It was in near-new condition. A few years later I was looking to see if they were still available used as a friend was interested in getting one. I was stunned to see prices in the $200-plus dollar range.

So I don't know what the deal is with Rebecca's book. New, it didn't cost anywhere even close to what the prices I saw at Amazon and so on are. But if you can come up with a copy for a price you're willing to pay, it's a great book to have if you have a boat with wood that wants a bright finish on it.
Old 10-24-2012, 05:24 PM   #36
TF Site Team

City: Home Port: Buck's Harbor, Maine
Vessel Name: "Emily Anne"
Vessel Model: 2001 Island Gypsy 32 Europa (Hull #146)
Which one:

Brightwork: The Art of Finishing Wood: Rebecca Wittman: 9780071579810: Amazon.com: Books

or

Repair Refinishing - Brightwork Companion (The)
dwhatty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2012, 05:49 PM   #37
Scraping Paint

The first one.
Old 10-27-2012, 11:48 AM   #38

I noticed at Amazon that she has a 13 chapter smaller book, looks like it might be more of a "rubber meets the road" (whats the maritime version of that saying?) type book for a lot less. I ordered it, supposed to come available today.
Old 11-27-2012, 08:36 PM   #39
Guru

City: coos bay
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob1430 View Post
I have a 1979 Hershine Trawler in Nanoose Bay, B.C.. In my travels up north and around the Gulf Islands, I have only seen one other. It seems that they are rare, not enough to have a rendezvous I guess.
I looked at a 1979 hershine 37 today for sale in Berkly Ca. I was trying to find out some information on the company that built them to decide if i want to buy one or not. Basic DeFever design with a bit wider walkaround at the sacrafice of interior room. The name of this one is Zephyr # 4010048.
Doi you know anything about them?
bfloyd4445 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2013, 09:37 PM   #40

City: Ashland
Rocna 25

Congrats on your Hershine purchase. We are currently doing the Great Loop in ours. It is perfect for guests with the two state rooms and heads. We had a Knock-off CQR that got us into trouble and bought a Rocna 25 that has worked beautifully. We also knew nothing about cruising and have learned along the way. You will too. And by the way, we are from Ashland, OR and bought our boat in Florida last June.

Osprey37 is offline   Reply With Quote