Old 07-21-2014, 02:12 PM   #21

City: Great Lakes
Vessel Name: NONE
Vessel Model: NONE
It is indeed a beauty that has obviously been loved but there are precious few who have the time, money or expertise to keep it that way. I grew up through the wood boat era and owned several from runabouts to cabin cruisers. As did my father and grandfather and uncles, whose boats I often helped with as a youngster. Don't let anyone kid you, they are an incredible amount of work to maintain, even brand new. If it has not been re-planked or the hull re-fastened in the last 50 years, it may look good but it is a virtual certainty there will be significant issues. Just re-packing the planks with oakum on a vessel that size would be a daunting task. You must, must, must, get a surveyor who is "intimately" familiar with wood boats.

If you read through the forums here you will note that a huge percentage of the posts regard repairing wood on our "fiberglass" boats, now imagine if they were entirely wood. I'm not trying to be a kill joy but just passing along "my" opinion and experience. Quite frankly I fear it will rip your family apart, not pull them together as you hope.

Capt Kangeroo is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2014, 02:34 PM   #22

City: Fort Lauderdale, FL
Vessel Model: I have keys to lots of boats...
Before you go much further check on getting insurance for this boat and if you are thinking of financing part of the purchase see if any is available for a wooden boat of this vintage. Also check on marinas where you intend to keep the boat to see if they will allow a vintage wooden boat.

Old 07-21-2014, 04:09 PM   #23

City: Jacksonville, FL
Vessel Name: Amar la Vida
Vessel Model: 1989 Carver Californian 48' MY
Also look at places that will haul you out. Alot of marinas won't haul wood boats anymore.
knotheadcharters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2014, 06:04 PM   #24
Guru

City: Everett, WA
Vessel Model: Ocean Alexander 38'
I've drooled over this boat for a long time. It has been on the market for years. Used to have a few you-tube videos of it running and the engine sounds like a dream.
I have seen Grenfell's up in the San Juans since I was a little kid (40+ years ago!)
Most are lapstrake with their distinctive blue hulls. This is a bit different, a planked hull in white, and appears a one off design.
I have wonder how it would hold up I fresh water. I have always heard that if you own a wood boat, salt is the best place to keep it.
I agree that she deserves covered moorage, but other than that, after a sound survey, I'd pull the trigger, but I am kind of a masochist when it comes to wood work.
Max Simmons is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2014, 06:28 PM   #25

City: Squamish, B.C.
Vessel Name: Change of Heart
Vessel Model: Grand Banks 42
We had fellow club member spend just under a million dollars (yes, a million dollars)doing a full-on two year refit/resto of his 54'? Grenfell. New everything. Sadly he passed away recently, just before completion. I'll post pics next time I see the boat.
In the meantime, enjoy a virtual tour of the drop dead gorgeous Lazee Gal here Lazee Gal Virtual Tour by 4pi Media
Old 07-21-2014, 06:35 PM   #26

City: Squamish, B.C.
Vessel Name: Change of Heart
Vessel Model: Grand Banks 42
FWIW - Lazee Gal was on the market recently for a cool million; not sure if she sold or not.