Old 10-25-2014, 07:59 PM   #1

City: West River, MD
Greenline

Are there any Greenline owners out there?
NudgeTug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2014, 01:39 AM   #2
TF Site Team

City: Ex-Brisbane, (Australia), now Bribie Island, Qld
Vessel Name: Now boatless - sold 6/2018
Vessel Model: Had a Clipper (CHB) 34
Ah...I would be if I could afford one.
Old 10-26-2014, 01:44 AM   #3
Master and Commander

City: Vallejo CA
Vessel Name: Carquinez Coot
Vessel Model: penultimate Seahorse Marine Coot hull #6
Never hear of Greenline. Tell us about it/them.
Old 10-26-2014, 09:22 AM   #4
Guru

City: Satsuma FL
Vessel Name: No Mo Trawla
Vessel Model: Hurricane SS188
There is one on display at the Fort Lauderdale Boat Show. Interesting choice of engines...two VW TDI's with 150HP each.

Greenline Hybrid 40 feet | Boats On Display | Fort Lauderdale International Boat Show 2014

Almost looks like a 1950's era Chris Craft....reinvented.
Donsan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2014, 08:27 PM   #5
Guru

City: Windsor
Vessel Name: Keeper IV
Vessel Model: 44 Viking ACMY
The specs stated it was 2009 model year but the engines are described as 2014.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Trawler
mbevins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2014, 09:22 PM   #6
Guru

City: Hotel, CA
Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter B View Post
Ah...I would be if I could afford one.

You and I both Peter, she's a beauty

It's easier to fool people than to convince them that they've been fooled - Mark Twain
CPseudonym is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2020, 03:38 PM   #7

City: Mars
Vessel Name: TBD
Vessel Model: TBD
I am saving my pennies. Have been researching them (among other options) since I starting giving serious thought to long-term boat ownership a couple of years ago. My sense is they are costly because they are unique--no one else is really competing in their segment yet--like Tesla cars. Anyway, I think if you avoid the hybrid option they're priced comparably to similar boats. And like Craig and Pete I like the 'classic' styling--particularly blended with the efficient, airy layout of the interior. I've boarded a 40 on the hard and had a brief sea trial. I think she's 'yar'.
rallison is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2020, 06:45 AM   #8

City: Saxmundham
Hi Rick from across 'the pond'
Just joined the group even though I have sold my Greenline 40 Hybrid.
Hope to see some interesting posts and hopefully be able to contribute.
Bernard
Berniebob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2020, 08:32 AM   #9

City: Mars
Vessel Name: TBD
Vessel Model: TBD
Welcome, Bernard!

When you and I were corresponding via e-mail, you were kind enough to share all sorts of detailed information about your ownership experience, all of which I found useful & helpful to my thought process.

For folks who are not familiar with the Greenline 40 / Hybrid version, or with hybrid boats generally -- and as someone who has owned and operated traditional cruising motor vessels -- how would you describe the differences?

Meaning, how would you plan or execute a day's cruising differently when hybrid motive power and/or battery bank energy reserve are added to a standard boat's capabilities?

Most of the sales/promo materials and videos make it clear that hybrid motive power's electric mode is intended as an adjunct -- to avoid idling the motors at low speeds in marinas, no-wake zones, etc., or to enable fuel-free jaunts close to home -- rather than to replace the diesels as prime movers. In your experience, is that accurate?

Likewise there's talk about spending time on the hook without needing a generator or running the diesels--not just for fridge/hob/lights, but even climate control. Are you able to confirm or expand?

Regardless, thank you for stopping by. I hope others with actual ownership experience will do the same.

-Rick
rallison is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2020, 01:38 PM   #10
Guru

City: Malmö
Vessel Name: ABsolutely FABulous
Vessel Model: Greenline 33 Hybrid (2010)
Quote:
Originally Posted by rallison View Post
Welcome, Bernard!

Meaning, how would you plan or execute a day's cruising differently when hybrid motive power and/or battery bank energy reserve are added to a standard boat's capabilities?

Most of the sales/promo materials and videos make it clear that hybrid motive power's electric mode is intended as an adjunct -- to avoid idling the motors at low speeds in marinas, no-wake zones, etc., or to enable fuel-free jaunts close to home -- rather than to replace the diesels as prime movers. In your experience, is that accurate?

Likewise there's talk about spending time on the hook without needing a generator or running the diesels--not just for fridge/hob/lights, but even climate control. Are you able to confirm or expand?

-Rick

I will throw in a comment or two here...

1) Regarding your observation that hybrid is an adjunct. I agree with this assessment 110%. It's not very practical on long journeys on the sea, as you lose energy using diesel to charge electric. Just physics. But, I've been known to do it on beautiful calm days when I'm on a long run and not in a rush. The reason? For 2-3 hour blocks of cruising silently. Sometimes, it's just worth the slowness and inefficiency for me. Greenline is now offering vessels with 100% electric (i.e. no diesel engine). This could be great for some (i.e. dedicated inland and canal cruisers). For me, I wouldn't have it. While we spend a lot of time inland and in canals, I don't want to hesitate to go to islands in the Baltic or this coming summer, Sicily and Malta...if we ever manage to get this Corona thing behind us. Diesel is necessary if the going gets rough.

2) regarding utilizing hybrid on the hook... To me, this is as, or possibly even more, attractive as being able to navigate several hours silently. It's amazingly convenient to have 230v (i.e. standard house current for us) available all the times. The solar panels are photo-voltaic and provide amps even on cloudy days, though not as much. With some careful thought to power management, we can go 3-4 days without shore power or running the diesel to re-charge. We rarely anchor in one spot for more than 2 days at a time, so we have all the power we need from the solar/battery/inverter setup. Perhaps more common for us are port situations on rivers or canals where we want to stay a few nights, but no power is available. Not long ago, we were in Berlin and they have beautiful, FREE, walls to tie to in parks along the river there. No facilities, power or water, however. Nevertheless, we stayed 4 nights in Berlin and had 230v house power all the time from our hybrid system. The biggest challenge was that it was very hot. 90's F. While we were ashore touring most of the time, our cat remained on board and therefore we had to run the a/c some. While it can handle it, this puts quite a draw on the hybrid system. Nevertheless, with the a/c on occasionally during peak heat in the afternoon, we were still able to manage 4 days and have enough 230v power to also run the 12v battery charger, 230v refrigerator, induction stove, microwave, Nespresso machine, towel warmer, 230v stereo system, computer charging and phone charging. We also have an electric mattress pad, but it was certainly not needed during that summer in Berlin!
Old 12-19-2020, 09:45 AM   #11
Guru

City: Malmö
Vessel Name: ABsolutely FABulous
Vessel Model: Greenline 33 Hybrid (2010)
First 100% electric charter fleet from Greenline Yachts

Greenline Yachts has partnered with Canal Boats Telemark AS in Norway, W-Yachts and Torqeedo to create the first 100% electric charter fleet in the world.

Canal Boats Telemark will operate six new Greenlines – two 33s and four 39s – all fitted with the shipyard’s EDrive system, which was launched at Boot Düsseldorf in 2019.

https://marineindustrynews.co.uk/fir...enline-yachts/

Above text is from the article. My comment: We did the Telemark Canal a few years ago. It' is unspoiled nature at its best. I think this is a perfect application for an all-electric charter fleet!

I have uploaded a few pictures of the Telemark Canal in another TF thread:
https://www.trawlerforum.com/forums/...d-51599-2.html