Fountaine Pajot Trawler Cats?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

UK Lele Girl

Vessel Name
UK Lele Girl
Vessel Make
Fountaine Pajot 34 Greenland
I would be interested in a forum to support FP cats or at least a forum for power cats. Anyone else agree?

We can surely discuss it!! And in the meantime, tell us about yourself and your boat. I have always been a fan of the FP cats...as well as PDQ.

Fountaine Pajot Trawler Cats

I have a 2002 34 Greenland. Bought it about 3 years ago. Very happy. Our model has 2 owners cabins in each pontoon; double berth aft and head/shower/sink forward. Power is twin Nanni diesels 135hp. Stock power is 65hp; so I am not sure why this boat came over with this option. I did see another Greenland advertized in US that had similar power. Maybe French thought the Americans needed more hp! Good news is the greater hp doesn't result in huge increase in gph.

We looked at the PDQ 34 when we were shopping for a cat. We did not like the lack of cockpit space and the engines under the berths. The Greenland has a generous aft cockpit and flybridge which is great for entertaining.

Pros: Very efficient. Ave 4.5 gph. We travel at around 15knts. Top speed is 20-22knts which is very handy when you need it. Trawler speed is more like 8-9knts. For the Christmas boat parade we had 12 people on board. She handled it very well. The beam is only 14.5ft so we have not had any problems in marinas. No slapping when we are in rough weather; clearance is great, over 3 feet.

Cons: Not many negatives. Tight engine space but related to bigger engines that came with this model. The impeller access is a squeeze since the engine is only 6 inches from forward engine bulkhead. Double bunks are a little tight for some couples who enjoy extra room to sleep (but not many 34ft boats have huge sleeping arrangements for 2 couples).

We see a few 37 FP Maryland cats around so maybe others on east coast that may be interested in a forum for FP power cats. It would be very helpful since the manufacturer isn't very responsive to technical problems/questions on their older boats.

As you can see from my little picture I seem to be the only other cat owner on the forum!

I argue that mine's a trawler too!:D

I'm just guessing that you fuel burn at 15 kts is 4.5gal/hr/per engine: around 1.6 mpg is excellent for a 11 mtr boat.

Please post some photos.....:)

As you can see from my little picture I seem to be the only other cat owner on the forum!

I'm just guessing that you fuel burn at 15 kts is 4.5gal/hr/per engine: around 1.6 mpg is excellent for a 11 mtr boat.

While I agree that you have a fine vessel and "trawler" is certainly a diverse term....

Any boat with "Cheetah" in the model name has a hard time conveying dreamy eyed thoughts of trawlers. :eek: :D

I am willing to bet she meant total. Those cats are awfully efficient.

While I agree that you have a fine vessel and "trawler" is certainly a diverse term....

Any boat with "Cheetah" in the model name has a hard time conveying dreamy eyed thoughts of trawlers. :eek: :D

...and it's a well know fact that cats love water.:rofl:

I am willing to bet she meant total. Those cats are awfully efficient.

Here's the specs for a cheetah 9 mtr by 3.6 commercial cat that was bought by a Canadian fisherman: lighter and more efficient than a FP trawler cat, but outboards......

Alex reports good speeds and fuel data with twin Honda vtech outboards and 15” propellers. Top speeds was 31.5 knots. Fuel consumption at 18-20 knots at 4000rpm with roughly 1000kg aboard was just under 2 litres per mile. The heaviest load carried was 4000kg on deck.

Cheetah Marine LLP

Even allowing for the better efficency of diesels ( 20%: leanburn OB better than that?) about 2mpg sounds right for a 11mtr cruising Cat of that size?

Last edited:
Not sure why cats, "Trawler Cats" in particular, haven't met with more interest here. They are just another economical boat with different but no more or less compromise, and can be a great value for cruisers. When I bought my current boat, my short list was half cats.

Last edited:
FP Trawler Cats

Twin 135hp diesels burn ave 4.5gph total

Interest in trawlercats here. We saw the Fountaine Pajots at Trawlerfest and we were impressed. Really like the idea of engine access from the cockpit instead of the salon. The admiral liked the modern interior. We've also looked at the Endeavour 44' and we were very impressed with the roominess of it.

Interest in trawlercats here. We saw the Fountaine Pajots at Trawlerfest and we were impressed. Really like the idea of engine access from the cockpit instead of the salon. The admiral liked the modern interior. We've also looked at the Endeavour 44' and we were very impressed with the roominess of it.

Marinas Here in Europe have a 50% surcharge on cats.:ermm:

...so the money you save in fuel is taken at the dock, But Of course you can do more anchoring instead.

I would agree....I have always kept an eye on cats. One big advantage to me(other than efficiency) is their seakeeping. I know they can pound underneath the bridgedeck, but generally the fact that they don't roll. My biggest knock against them is the "compartmentalization" of the spaces. Everything is its own space instead of being part of a more open combined space. The spaces are arranged more closely to a sailboat than a motorcruiser....IOW....berth up in the forepeak of the hulls. Anyway, lots to like about a cat!!!!

I would be interested in a forum to support FP cats or at least a forum for power cats. Anyone else agree?

They are just boats with different hull forms. If used as a trawler or costal-inland or blue water boat almost all considerations relative to this form. With the exception of the greater beam they are typically light displacement boats and if they act a little different in some situations well a FD and a Fast SD also act differently and they are all covered on this form.

Hello UK Lele Girl,

I really like the Fountaine Pajot line of boats, matter of fact there is one moored about 40 meters from me in a little bay.Looks to be about 38-40' sailing rig.

Don't worry too much about the Trawler in Trawler Forum, if you troll through the members and general posts you will notice that the vast majority are just happy to own something that you don't water ski behind, or employ other people to drive us around.

Does your boat have the galley configuration up or down? I have just helped a good mate bring down a 40'Cat from Brisbane, about 450 miles. The stability in a sloppy sea was excellent, although the compartmental nature of the boat, as noted above, took a little getting used to. Still, all boats are in essence a trade off, looking forward to seeing some photo's.

Interesting name for a boat.

Fountaine Pajot Trawler Cats

Some photos attached

Attachments

• 027.jpg
    027.jpg
    99.9 KB · Views: 228
  • 030.jpg
    030.jpg
    119.9 KB · Views: 275
I’m new here. I recently bought a 2003 FP Greenland 34. Actually I won’t really take delivery until the end of March because the boat is on the west coast of Greece and I’m in Turkey. I only viewed it for around half an hour so I’m looking for as much information and advice I can get before I undertake the long trip home in the Spring.

Greetings,
Welcome aboard. Talk about a delivery trip-WOW!
Thanks. The Aegean can be tricky in Winter so I decided to wait until Spring. I estimate it’s around 320 Kns using the Corinth Canal.

Welcome Irish,

You live in a beautiful part of the world for cruising.
I joined some friends in their Lagoon 440 for a cruise from Kusadasi to Fethiye a couple years ago. Amazing coastline with some great anchorages. Enjoy!

Congrats!

Congrats on your purchase.

I am not familiar with those waters so I cannot recommend any tips.

Regarding the boat, I would say the diesel is the main concern. Apart from the many mechanical issues an old boat may have, the engines and fuel supply are most important. Especially if the boat hasn't been used in a while.

We bought our FP in Stuart Florida and brought it home to St Petersburg Florida via the inter coastal waterway and cross Florida canal. Great trip and thankfully no mechanical problems.

Good Luck!
Marc

Welcome Irish,

You live in a beautiful part of the world for cruising.
I joined some friends in their Lagoon 440 for a cruise from Kusadasi to Fethiye a couple years ago. Amazing coastline with some great anchorages. Enjoy!
Thank you. Yes it's a beautiful coast from Istanbul all the way down to Kas where the Aegean meets the Med and no matter where you are there are always Greek Islands to explore within an hour or two.

Congrats on your purchase.

I am not familiar with those waters so I cannot recommend any tips./

Regarding the boat, I would say the diesel is the main concern. Apart from the many mechanical issues an old boat may have, the engines and fuel supply are most important. Especially if the boat hasn't been used in a while.

We bought our FP in Stuart Florida and brought it home to St Petersburg Florida via the inter coastal waterway and cross Florida canal. Great trip and thankfully no mechanical problems.

Good Luck!
Marc
`
Thanks, Marc. I was mainly looking for tips about the boat. It's completely new to me. I had a look around for about half an hour and took a 10 minute trip in the harbor area when I viewed it and haven't seen it since. The ex owner doesn't speak English so it's hard to get information. The ex owner is an engineer and very careful on maintenance so I'm hoping I won't have big problems. I had a detailed professional survey carried out and he was impressed so here's hoping. I have a few questions you could possibly help me with -
There seems to be only one waste water tank with a capacity of 40 liters about 10.5 gallons. Is this normal and do both heads pump into this? Discharge to the sea is completely prohibited in Turkish waters and we have a Blue card which digitally records pump outs. If I obey the law [which few people do offshore] I'd have to pump out every day.
My boat has 2 x 75 HP Yanmar and the ex owner insists he only uses one engine at a time except in very congested areas. He says he generally motors around 7.2 KPH @ 2,200 rpm on one engine and uses around 3.5/4 litres [one gallon] per hour. With the two engines running @ 2200 he says he only makes just over 9 KPH and uses twice the amount of diesel. I know you have a different engine setup but I'm curious do you motor on one engine or what is your opinion about this?
How does your boat handle in crosswinds? For my delivery trip I'll be crossing the Aegean from Athens on a W/E course and the prevailing wind is N or NW. I'd be expecting Force 5 some if not all of the time and possibly F6. Any tips?
Last question for now, does the salon table convert to a bunk and if so how is it done?
Sorry for all the questions and, if you have the time, I'd be grateful for your input.
Regards
Seamas

Seamus,
I'd be very surprised if you only have one holding tank. I had a quick browse at other similar models for sale , and they all advertise 2 x 40 litre holding tanks. I can't imagine pumping from one hull to the other.

We found that the Turkish authorities were happy to see that our blue card had a record of a pumpout every 4 or 5 days, especially if we stayed at a marina with toilet facilities.

I'm sure you'll learn plenty during the trip home. From what I've read they are a great vessel for their size. Purpose built as a power cat, rather than a sailing cat minus the mast. All cats a somewhat weight sensitive at will slow somewhat if overloaded. Your fuel usage will be affected by this.

Regarding a crosswind,- as with any boat, change course a bit if it is uncomfortable. Often a straight line to the destination is not the best way. You have plenty of fuel capacity. Make sure you don't have a fixed timeline. They are dangerous.

Most of all, enjoy it; you're living the dream.

Thanks, Auscan. Surprised me as well but the spec I got clearly says 1 x 40 liters total capacity holding tank [portside]. I'll be keen to know what UK Lele Girl has to say on this. The problem with the TCG is that every individual officer has his own ideas when the regs are not specific and some of them can be B's. General advice here is to pump out based on 10 liter per person per day which would mean every day for me if I only have one tank.
I definitely won't be racing the clock and I have an alternative longer route which will take me SE if needed with more opportunity for Island hopping and sheltered passage but again I'm very keen to hear what UK LG has to say.
Seamas

The boat handles extremely well, usually rides on top of the waves at cruising speed (15-16 knots). I don't run on one engine. Always 2 engines but our diesel is cheaper ($2.75/gallon).

Trawler speed at 7-8 knots, 1200 rpm we burn 1-2 gallons per hour (total for both engines). Cruise at 2200 rpm burns 4 gallons per hour. Engines are 135hp Nanni's. Turbo charged from 65hp Kubota tractor engines.

We developed an oil pan leak on port engine last year and had to motor into the dock on one engine. Boat handled extremely poorly and would not turn to port direction.

Regarding the heads. I replaced both with fresh water flush Raritan Marine Elegance models. They work great and the ladies even like them (no smell). Both heads have the standard holding tanks mounted high up in each of the bows. I don't see how one head could connect to a holding tank on the opposite side of the boat. Seems impossible.

The salon table can be converted to a bed. I found shorter pedestals at local marine surplus store. One trick we found was to put the cushions from the bridge under the salon cushions since the table top raises the salon cushions up a little bit. Sue made a foam filler to go on top of the table and it makes into a very large berth when we have extra guests aboard.

Please let me know if you have other questions. I don't think there are many Greenlands still in use. Maybe the FP Yacht Club would know.

Marc

PS. Cotemar is a great source of information on the FP owners group web page on Cruisers and Sailing Forum

Thank you for the information. I'd imagine handling in open water or straight line using the AP should be OK on 1 engine but I guess I'll have plenty of time to find out on my delivery trip especially through the Gulf of Corinth where the weather should be more favorable. Diesel is around $6.50 Gal here but I'm not overly concerned about the cost and more curious about the efficiency of it. I'm really curious about the holding tanks as well but the spec I got is clear that there's only one - it's possible the s/b head isn't connected to a tank. Thanks for the other information as well. I'm sure I'll have more questions as I go along.

PS. Cotemar is a great source of information on the FP owners group web page on Cruisers and Sailing Forum
Sorry for bothering you again but I have another question you may be able to help me with. I'm planning to fit a Garmin GPS/sonar combo on the flybridge. The transducer comes with a 20Ft cable. Do you have any idea if that is long enough to reach the transom or will I need an extension cable. Any recommendations/suggestions on best mounting position would also be appreciated although I suspect there is no ideal spot on a twin screw cat.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom