Boat Shopping

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

alleyoop44

Vessel Name
TGIF
Vessel Make
Merit 22' - sail
Hello,

I just registered and this is my first post.

I've been looking at a '89, Markley 41' w/ a Cummins 6BT5.9MI engine and wanted to know if any other members have experience with this boat, engine or both.

Boat shopping is fun if you've got enough time!
So why am I so rushed? :banghead:

Thanks in advance for any advice and/or insight.

Phil

We have the 220 Cummins 6BT in our Tug. Great engine. Simple, easy to work on, cheap parts from places like Rider Trucks, and friends are always amazed how quickly it starts. Just feed it good, clean fuel, don't let it overheat (water flow alarm is on our winter project list), and it will run for a very, very long time. Particularly at the speeds we usually run. I highly suggest spending the $25 to join the boatdiesel forum. Lots of great experience and advice there.

I have the cummins 6bta 5.9 and have no issues with it. It is of 2002 vintage w 2000 hrs. Starts great every time and performs well in my American Tug. I think they are a strong engine but like any engine, ya gotta keep it maintained.

Cheers

Thanks for the input jukesy and carolina. Sounds like a good, dependable power plant.

Phil

Realizing hull shape and installation characteristics have a big effect on this would be interested in knowing what RPM's you tend to cruise at and what kind of speeds and fuel consumption you see there?

Thanks,
Phil

I usually run at 1600 rpm which (depending on tide, current etc) gives me around 8 to 9 knots at about 3.5 gph.

I have a Hi Star 55, and burning 3.5 gph, I run at 1,300 rpm and about 7 knots

Thanks for the input Alemao. Hi Star, had not heard of that one. Nice looking boat.
Phil

:)

Attachments

• image-37933080.jpg
    image-37933080.jpg
    40.9 KB · Views: 115
I don't know whats happen but I was in St Maarten 2 weeks ago and with the same 1300rpm they burned 5.5gph.
I'll lift to the bottom paint :-(

Back
Top Bottom