Old 01-04-2016, 10:04 PM   #41

City: discomfort.reactants.peanuts
BandB:

In one of your earlier comments in this thread you gave your opinion that Bering Yachts was not a real boat building company, in your exact words, "I'm afraid I can't call them a boat building company yet, more like hobbyists."

I'm curious why you would make such an inaccurate statement considering the fact that they, Bering Yachts, has in fact delivered 5 boats and launched 6 and they currently have another 4 under construction.

Keep in mind these aren't stitch and glue wooden rowboats we're talking about, some of the Bering yachts are in the multi million dollar price range. I might also add that Bering couldn't have gotten into the recreational boat building market at a worse time considering it was the recession of 2008 and yet they seemed to have more than survived while countless other well established "boat builders" went under.

To me this is no hobbyist boat builder, to the contrary, Bering Yachts is a bona fide new boat builder entering the market, albeit slowly, who seem to be doing quite well... all things considered.

That all said... If Bering Yachts is your idea of a hobbyist boat builder then I need to revisit the definition of the word hobbyist. Just Sayin'
Old 01-04-2016, 10:36 PM   #42
Guru

City: Fort Lauderdale. Florida, USA
Quote:
Originally Posted by Diesel Duck 492 View Post
BandB:

In one of your earlier comments in this thread you gave your opinion that Bering Yachts was not a real boat building company, in your exact words, "I'm afraid I can't call them a boat building company yet, more like hobbyists."

I'm curious why you would make such an inaccurate statement considering the fact that they, Bering Yachts, has in fact delivered 5 boats and launched 6 and they currently have another 4 under construction.

Keep in mind these aren't stitch and glue wooden rowboats we're talking about, some of the Bering yachts are in the multi million dollar price range. I might also add that Bering couldn't have gotten into the recreational boat building market at a worse time considering it was the recession of 2008 and yet they seemed to have more than survived while countless other well established "boat builders" went under.

To me this is no hobbyist boat builder, to the contrary, Bering Yachts is a bona fide new boat builder entering the market, albeit slowly, who seem to be doing quite well... all things considered.

That all said... If Bering Yachts is your idea of a hobbyist boat builder then I need to revisit the definition of the word hobbyist. Just Sayin'
Five boats in eight years is my reason. No momentum. No inventory of boats. I'm a hobbyist. No office of their own. Slight correction of your numbers as provided to me by them, although not materially different. Five boats delivered, 3 under construction. No full time dedicated CEO with no other business interests distracting them, although they have a very large staff of otherwise highly qualified people.

I think they really need to step things up and I've expressed that to them. I don't see a lot of boat builders surviving at their pace. I want very much to see them turn from what I consider a hobbyist to a successful builder. The same reasons I expressed in my initial post. Hobbyist is a term often used by investors in describing what they don't feel is a sustainable and profitable company yet.

You are right that their start wasn't the best timing. However, they are no longer a new boat builder. When they hit the level of delivering 2 boats a year, then I'll reconsider my terminology. So the same reasons I expressed in my initial post. I think really they need to build some speculative boats and if they don't sell before completion then strategically locate them. I think they'd have great potential in the PNW especially with Grand Banks pulling back some and Northern gone again. However, I think when the boat buyers there have never seen one, can't walk one, don't know anyone who owns one, can't demo one, it's a very difficult sale. I saw the note on Jeff Merrill. Has he sold any? Not to my knowledge, but he may have.

I guess my emphasis has been to encourage them to take new, bolder steps forward as I am concerned just doing more of the same isn't going to ever build them to what they'd like to be.

My statement was opinion based on what I see, so it's neither accurate or inaccurate, just my way of looking at a business. Opinion from a fan of the boat who wants very much to see them succeed.
BandB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2016, 11:23 PM   #43
Guru

City: Sydney
Vessel Name: Sojourn
Vessel Model: Integrity 386
Surely Bering are entitled to conduct their business as they see fit. It seems presumptuous and patronizing to tender them gratuitous advice.
As it seems accepted Bering is currently building 3 boats they are surely by definition "a boatbuilder", not engaged in pursuing a hobby.
If they currently operate as a small volume builder that can be their choice, be it short term or long term. A business needs to walk before it runs, their money is at risk, surely they get to conduct their business as they see fit. Let them get on with it without undue criticism.
How can it matter if a principal retains other business interests. Surely that is a choice he is entitled to make, if as a result Bering grows more slowly than it otherwise might, so be it. Maintaining other interests may be just as important to the principal.
What does it matter if investors take a certain view of companies of a certain size? If the principal conducts it in a way not conducive to attracting investors he may or may not attract investors (if he is in fact seeking investment), but it`s his choice. The fact they have 3 boats under construction at one time says something in itself.
I know nothing of Bering but what I see here, but is a shame to see Bering come to TF to advance their product and find themselves mired in controversy.
BruceK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2016, 11:26 PM   #44

City: discomfort.reactants.peanuts
To BandB:

FWIW... My numbers, 5 boats delivered and 6 launched with 4 under construction came directly from a conversation I had yesterday with Alexei, the co-founder and President of Bering Yachts.

I too want to see them succeed for a plethora of reasons...

Note: edited after posting
Old 01-05-2016, 01:18 AM   #45
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Diesel Duck 492 View Post
To BandB:

FWIW... My numbers, 5 boats delivered and 6 launched with 4 under construction came directly from a conversation I had yesterday with Alexei, the co-founder and President of Bering Yachts.

I too want to see them succeed for a plethora of reasons...

Note: edited after posting
Then yours are likely more accurate than mine which also came from an employee of the company yesterday. I would consider Alexei the ultimate source.
Old 01-05-2016, 01:26 AM   #46
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by BruceK View Post
I know nothing of Bering but what I see here, but is a shame to see Bering come to TF to advance their product and find themselves mired in controversy.
As no one has said anything critical about their boat or it's quality I would consider this threat and entire discussion to be positive for them. We're certainly talking more about them than we were a week ago. The statement I offered was I wish they'd step their activity up so their success would be more assured. That initially was just one part of an answer to why the 2008 boat for sale wasn't selling.
Old 01-05-2016, 02:05 AM   #47
THD
Guru

City: Seattle
B of B and B-no custom/semi-custom builder of larger boats thatI know of builds spec boats. Even the production builders may only build a "boat show" version of a new model, generally owned by a company owner or a large dealer owner. NH doesn't, KK doesn't and Selene doesn't. I could go on and list others, but you get the idea. There is no "floor plan" financing for large boats. Very few dealers could afford one. Building a couple and spreading them around is not such a great idea. Take the cost of the build and the time cost of money, and the young company's cash flow takes a severe hit. And given the time it normally takes to sell a boat, that time cost makes a serious dent in both the builder's and the dealer's profit. Even Westport, when it first introduced the 164, did not build a spec boat, they built Evvivva, Orrin Edson's personal boat (now sold). That said, the payoff for a customer is that the buyer of hull #1 usually gets it at a very nice discount.
THD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2016, 07:17 AM   #48
Guru

City: Carefree, Arizona
Vessel Name: sunchaser V
Vessel Model: DeFever 48 (sold)
Spec boats of recent were indeed built, to a certain point, by several builders to advance their brand. This I know first hand from when we were in the serious boat buying mode in 2012. The tale was something like this, "hull number X is in the layup mode so order it now and save time to delivery." One such 60 footer was completed and sitting at the docks in Seattle. Not a successful endeavor for the builder.

Edson's 164 which I toured for a serious buyer when it was for sale last year could easily be termed a spec boat by some but this skirts the issue Bruce and THD accurately raise. Namely that Bering has indeed received orders and is carrying forth. Now they have to deal with orders potentially falling apart, exchange rates, steel prices, labor rates, adherence to good QA and QC and world economic disorder.

It is a tough business and hats off to the intrepid Russians for carrying forth.
sunchaser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2016, 09:35 AM   #49
Guru

City: Windsor
Vessel Name: Keeper IV
Vessel Model: 44 Viking ACMY
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lovinlife_NC View Post

WOW! That is rich, Brett! Capt Factchecker! I can't believe how you hard you failed in your endless blathering of nonsense in your attempt to police the forum. Then, you went calling out someone by name? LMAO! You are an idiot.
Wow. That's the way to be noticed on your first post.
Without a doubt the worst introduction to a forum i have ever seen.
Makes me wish we had a probationary period for guys like you.
mbevins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2016, 09:43 AM   #50
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by THD View Post
Even Westport, when it first introduced the 164, did not build a spec boat, they built Evvivva, Orrin Edson's personal boat (now sold). That said, the payoff for a customer is that the buyer of hull #1 usually gets it at a very nice discount.
Westport actually started many spec boats, although most were sold well before completion. They did so in order to maintain their manufacturing efficiency, however, not to get boats out in the marketplace.

I know the number of companies building spec boats isn't high and I wouldn't do it through dealers but maintain ownership as the builder. It's just one way I see of gaining market presence. NH, KK, Selene etc don't have the need as there are plenty of those around. Nordhavn always has access to many used boats to show prospective buyers and I think that greatly helps them.

Now, I can also name companies that have sort of built semi-spec boats for one of their owners who then used that power to the detriment of the company and for his personal takeover.

Maybe the current orders are going to be the break through Bering needs. I hope so. I'd love to see the momentum built.

For relatively small and new builders boat shows become very important too but they also require boats to show and they are very expensive. Actually, anyway you try to break into a market is very expensive. Advertising, trips for potential buyers to the plants. The one means of marketing that isn't so expensive is social media and I would include forums in that. I do think their entry into this forum is a great step in that direction.

Now as to the two things that I believe really set their boats apart and make them desirable. First is the obvious, steel. For a true trawler type boat, perhaps the ideal material. Second, is that their boats are half trawler, half motoryacht. Just look at their 55 and you'll see more space, more utility, more of the comforts of home, than any other trawler type yacht in their size. So they combine that with sea going ability. Most boats in that size range have one or the other, but not both.

We are not potential customers for a boat of this sort, but if we were, I would put Bering at the top of the list of the ones we'd consider.
Old 01-05-2016, 10:31 AM   #51
Guru

City: Victoria TX
Vessel Name: Bijou
Vessel Model: 2008 Island Packet PY/SP
Quote:
Originally Posted by mbevins View Post
Wow. That's the way to be noticed on your first post.
Without a doubt the worst introduction to a forum i have ever seen.
Makes me wish we had a probationary period for guys like you.

I have a feeling that this new account was created purely for trolling purposes
cardude01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2016, 10:46 AM   #52
Guru

City: NC
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lovinlife_NC View Post
WOW! That is rich, Brett! Capt Factchecker! I can't believe how you hard you failed in your endless blathering of nonsense in your attempt to police the forum. Then, you went calling out someone by name? LMAO! You are an idiot.
Quote:
Originally Posted by BandB View Post
She's marketing director. More than willing for her name to be used, just as she used Judy's. She's here to conduct business.and I'm thrilled to see her promoting the brand as its a great boat with no market recognition.
B, do you know if Lovinlife_NC is working with Bering or just a troll?

Thanks,
Dan
dannc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2016, 01:39 AM   #53

City: North Carolina
Not working with Bering.
I'm the only Bering employee on the forum so far.
My name is Deniza.
Bering Yachts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2016, 02:53 AM   #54

City: Florida USA and Ontario Canada
Vessel Name: anytime
Vessel Model: 2007 Chaparral 270 Signature LOA 29'
Uh, oh ... this thread took an ugly turn in a jiffy.

Welcome to the forum Deniza. Not an expert but I love the style and the build quality of Bering yachts. They caught may interest some time ago ... if only I could afford the boat of this size.

Don't mind the noise, opinions, assumptions ... you are on a boating forum. This one is not as bad as some others, and interested in what you have to say and show. Let's have some fun ... we love (boat, build, details) pictures too ...
Old 09-02-2016, 08:58 PM   #55

City: Auckland
Quote:
Originally Posted by Diesel Duck View Post
Based on what I know about Watson boats I wouldn't consider them for a new build. A former Nordhavn 55 owner who is now a current Diesel Duck 462 owner went through hell with his Watson 72 build and if my memory serves me correctly it ended up in a huge lawsuit.

Note: Why someone would try to hijack a thread from a builder by suggesting another builder is just plain wrong in my book. Just Sayin'
Just a note to Diesel Duck - My name is Peter Watson and I am general manager of T.C. Watson & Sons, Naval Architects and Boatbuilders based in Whangarei New Zealand.

In our time in business - three generations, we have never been sued. The instant that you have raised here did not concern our company directly. It would be accurate to say that the particular gentleman you have mentioned carries many self inflicted wounds.

If you, or anyone reading this forum has any doubts regarding the integrity of our company or our product, you are more than welcome to contact me directly. I would be pleased to answer any questions, lay out any information on our company or provide references including current and previous owners, professional skippers and industry participants.

We take our business as designers and builders very seriously. Particularly the safety of the crew of any vessel we are responsible for. This is reflected in the high standard of construction and comfort our vessels are known for. A reputation far out of proportion for the small size of our company.
Pete Watson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2016, 11:49 AM   #56
Guru

City: Beaufort, NC USA
Vessel Name: Sylphide
Vessel Model: Kingston Aluminum Yacht 44' Custom
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pete Watson View Post
Just a note to Diesel Duck - My name is Peter Watson and I am general manager of T.C. Watson & Sons, Naval Architects and Boatbuilders based in Whangarei New Zealand.

In our time in business - three generations, we have never been sued. The instant that you have raised here did not concern our company directly. It would be accurate to say that the particular gentleman you have mentioned carries many self inflicted wounds.

If you, or anyone reading this forum has any doubts regarding the integrity of our company or our product, you are more than welcome to contact me directly. I would be pleased to answer any questions, lay out any information on our company or provide references including current and previous owners, professional skippers and industry participants.

We take our business as designers and builders very seriously. Particularly the safety of the crew of any vessel we are responsible for. This is reflected in the high standard of construction and comfort our vessels are known for. A reputation far out of proportion for the small size of our company.
Welcome to the forum Mr. Watson! Apologies for the unpleasantness in this thread. There are more than a few admirers of your fine vessels here.
Wayfarer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2016, 12:09 PM   #57
Guru

City: Gig Harbor
Vessel Name: Kinship
Vessel Model: North Pacific 43
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pete Watson View Post
Welcome Pete. Hope you can stick around to share your experience and expertise.

FWIW, I understand the need to correct any wrong characterizations of your company, but the thread is 8 months old and I never would have even noticed them if it weren't for your reply.

Dave
SPOT page
dhays is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2016, 12:37 PM   #58
Guru

City: Hotel, CA
The Pete Watson! I've drooled over pictures of your boats for years. Welcome to the forum.

It's easier to fool people than to convince them that they've been fooled - Mark Twain
CPseudonym is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2017, 10:11 PM   #59
Guru

City: Sharon, Ma
Vessel Name: Slow Lane
Vessel Model: 2005 Silverton 35 Motoryacht
**Bumping an old thread**

WHAT A BRAND!!! Here's the porn.

http://www.yachtworld.com/core/listi...currencyid=100

Any Trawler Forum guys looking at the Bering 50 as a possible upgrade (dream boat?) ?

2005 Silverton 35 Motoryacht
South of Heaven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2018, 05:23 AM   #60

City: Perth
Vessel Name: Apogee
Vessel Model: Clipper Cordova 52
Bering Steel Expedition Yachts

Hi, updated photo of Bering 55 in Australia with Bimini fittedClick image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1200.JPG
Views:	114
Size:	190.8 KB
ID:	82323
Fonster Too is offline   Reply With Quote