Old 01-03-2016, 06:06 PM   #21
Guru

City: Carefree, Arizona
Vessel Name: sunchaser V
Vessel Model: DeFever 48
Quote:
Originally Posted by tinped View Post
there is a 55 on yachtworld that has been for sale for a long time.The pictures are nice,the price is very good,yet it hasn't sold.Any opinions why?The only thing I noticed was that the stack is right in the middle of the flybridge seating.Not a very good design in my opinion,also doesn't lend itself to a bimini,which kind of make s the flybridge useless in the warmer climates.
Nine months ago a 2008 Bering 55 was discussed in a 2 page TF thread. The usual (correct?) comments on Chinese built steel vessels emanated. The newer builds are not from China as best I understand.

Judy Waldman is the importer and listed the 2008.

sunchaser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2016, 06:33 PM   #22
Guru

City: Fort Lauderdale
Quote:
Originally Posted by sunchaser View Post
Nine months ago a 2008 Bering 55 was discussed in a 2 page TF thread. The usual (correct?) comments on Chinese built steel vessels emanated. The newer builds are not from China as best I understand.

Judy Waldman is the importer and listed the 2008.
They build in China and in Turkey. I don't know what they're building where at this point.

BandB is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2016, 07:14 PM   #23
Guru

In the end another alternative to Nordhaven and in steel construction. The issue I see is that the NH line has established a brand and continues to build on it with major advertising thus adding resale value to their line. The competing builders have a lot of catch up to do and the buyer interested in protecting their investment may well be wise to go with the flow. NH boats are not my kind of boat but I do recognize what the company and its branding has established. I am personally well aware of the financial risk of buying a custom off the beaten path boat and expect that buying a large low volume semi custom boat like a Bering has some similar risk. There of course will always be individuals who will gamble or don't care about the risk myself included in that category.
eyschulman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2016, 07:32 PM   #24
Guru

City: Carefree, Arizona
Vessel Name: sunchaser V
Vessel Model: DeFever 48
Precisely Ed.
sunchaser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2016, 07:38 PM   #25

City: discomfort.reactants.peanuts
With all of the obstacles involved in introducing a new ship building company I think Bering is moving in the right direction. For example; Jeff Merrill, former long time Nordhavn salesman, is now representing and is collaborating with the Bering team to produce high quality steel vessels. Another example of Bering doing everything they can to build a high quality boat is evidenced by the fact they reached out to Steve D'Antonio Marine Consulting Inc. (who as we all know is an extremely well respected marine industry expert) for his marine consulting on their line of boats.

Homepage - Jeff Merrill Yacht Sales +1 949.355.4950 (scroll down to bottom of home page)

Old 01-03-2016, 08:17 PM   #26
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Diesel Duck 492 View Post
With all of the obstacles involved in introducing a new ship building company I think Bering is moving in the right direction. For example; Jeff Merrill, former long time Nordhavn salesman, is now representing and is collaborating with the Bering team to produce high quality steel vessels.
I would like to share your optimism. However, I'm afraid I can't call them a boat building company yet, more like hobbyists. They're not new. 5 boats in 8 years calls for some serious changes in one's approach. I don't know the level of Jeff's involvement.

I know the owners have other interests they're spending time on so have no idea how much time they're spending on Bering. They need an industry pro guiding and directing the company full time.

Do understand that I'm not saying anything here that I haven't relayed to members of their team privately. I do believe Bering could be a very successful boat and take a position in the market.

As to quality in China or Turkey, I believe you can achieve very good quality and there are builders proving that.
Old 01-04-2016, 03:21 AM   #27

City: North Carolina
The Bering 55 listed on Yachtworld is referring to a new built boat.
The photos for the listing are of the first B55, which was sold last year to an Australian couple. They've just completed 3000 Nm from Singapore to Perth, Australia in 3 weeks. They also decided to add a new bimini top to the boat.

Bering Yachts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2016, 03:41 AM   #28

We are building Bering 77 and Bering 80 in China
Bering 70 and newly started Bering 65, hull #3 in Turkey.
Old 01-04-2016, 09:52 AM   #29
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bering Yachts View Post
The Bering 55 listed on Yachtworld is referring to a new built boat.
You're telling us the 2008 model shown in Falmouth, ME is for a new boat? I don't think so or it wouldn't read as follows:

Bargain price for a lightly cruised fully equipped, proven trawler! Recent refurbishing and improvements Summer 2015.

Spacious, well equipped, and economical, the Bering 55 is meant for long-range cruising.

The owners are experienced cruisers having previously owned a 65' Cape Horn Trawler. They flew to China to survey and sea trial this vessel before purchase. Having shipped the yacht to Florida and cruised her to Maine, back to Florida and then mid-Atlantic, the owners have retired from cruising and have offered M/V Anjumal seriously for sale.

So, no, it is not a new boat. Neither is the 2013 60' model. It has 500-600 hours on it and has been owned by two years. Only the listing for the 2015 65' is for a new boat.

I don't know where you got your erroneous information, Deniza.
Old 01-04-2016, 10:00 AM   #30

Quote:
Originally Posted by BandB View Post
You're telling us the 2008 model shown in Falmouth, ME is for a new boat? I don't think so or it wouldn't read as follows:

Bargain price for a lightly cruised fully equipped, proven trawler! Recent refurbishing and improvements Summer 2015.

Spacious, well equipped, and economical, the Bering 55 is meant for long-range cruising.

The owners are experienced cruisers having previously owned a 65' Cape Horn Trawler. They flew to China to survey and sea trial this vessel before purchase. Having shipped the yacht to Florida and cruised her to Maine, back to Florida and then mid-Atlantic, the owners have retired from cruising and have offered M/V Anjumal seriously for sale.

So, no, it is not a new boat. Neither is the 2013 60' model. It has 500-600 hours on it and has been owned by two years. Only the listing for the 2015 65' is for a new boat.

I don't know where you got your erroneous information, Deniza.

The two Bering 55's that I see on YW are both 2016 models with no mention of the items you list in your post.

Here is the link that I found for the Bering 55 on YW:

Bering 55 boats for sale - YachtWorld

Me thinks you are referring to one ad and Bering Yachts is referring to the ads I found by googling "Bering 55 for sale".
Old 01-04-2016, 10:07 AM   #31

That is not a Bering 55. There is a mistake in the listing. The boat you're talking about listed on Yachtworld by Judy Waldman is the first Bering 50 "Andjumal" which was not advertised too much, since the new Bering 50 design has a lot of improvements.

Regarding the 2013 Bering 60 model "Dzam" she was for sale last year but it's not anymore, since the owner decided to keep her for a couple of years more before switching to a larger vessel. The only 60's available on Yachtworld are new builds, as you can see the year specified (2016).
Old 01-04-2016, 10:08 AM   #32

I see what is happening here....

You are referring to Judy Waldman's ad on YW and the OP is referring to their manufacturers ad they placed on YW.

2008 Bering Trawler Power Boat For Sale - www.yachtworld.com

Old 01-04-2016, 10:16 AM   #33
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Diesel Duck 492 View Post
I see what is happening here....

You are referring to Judy Waldman's ad on YW and the OP is referring to their manufacturers ad they placed on YW.

2008 Bering Trawler Power Boat For Sale - www.yachtworld.com

Actually I just did a general search, but I see now my search was "Used". So my apologies, Deniza. Both new and used are listed.

Now the confusion is cleared.
Old 01-04-2016, 10:26 AM   #34
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bering Yachts View Post
That is not a Bering 55. There is a mistake in the listing. The boat you're talking about listed on Yachtworld by Judy Waldman is the first Bering 50 "Andjumal" which was not advertised too much, since the new Bering 50 design has a lot of improvements.
As to the one listed there, it doesn't say it's a Bering 55 but says a 55' Bering, which the Bering 50 is actually 56'. I see that done a lot on Yacht World where one seller lists based on Manufacturer model and the other based on actually LOA. Get's very confusing.

You have pointed out one concern I would have of a brand with so few builds. You're saying basically that Anjumal was outdated when built as you already had a new, much better design, so it wasn't advertised much. Sure lowers resell value. Most builders switch model designations when they have a new improved version, but I have encountered builders who do not, although some do restart the hull #'s. Does make it confusing to see a certain designation and have to know the year and sometimes even hull # to know if it was the old hull or the new one. I'm assuming on the 50 though you're saying the same hull design just new interior and equipment?
Old 01-04-2016, 10:40 AM   #35

Here are numbers as supplied in Judy Waldman's ad on YW for what she designates a "55' Bering":

LOA - 56' 2"
LWL - 46' 8"
Beam - 15' 7"
Draft - 6' 1"
Displacement - 125,000 lbs

Here are the numbers for the "Bering 55" according to the manufacturers web site:

LOA - 59'
LWL - 53'
Beam - 18' 7"
Draft - 6' 1" (Full Load)
Displacement - 143,000 lbs (Full Load)

Appears to me, in their early development as a boat builder, Bering built the "50' Bering" (the boat in Judy's YW ad) and then improved upon it with the "Bering 55".

Note: edited after initial posting
Old 01-04-2016, 10:48 AM   #36

Bering 50 and Bering 55 are two different models.

Bering 50 "Andjumal" was built in 2007 and no other B50's have been built so far.
Regarding Bering 55 "Mila" she was built in 2008 and now sold to an Australian couple as mentioned above and her new name is "Fonster".

The dimensions on Judy's listing are wrong, I already talked to her to edit them.
Specifications and dimensions on YW and the Bering site are the accurate ones.
Old 01-04-2016, 07:54 PM   #37

City: Wrightsville Beach NC
Quote:
Originally Posted by BandB View Post
"You're telling us the 2008 model shown in Falmouth, ME is for a new boat? I don't think so or it wouldn't read as follows:"

..."So, no, it is not a new boat. Neither is the 2013 60' model"..."Only the listing for the 2015 65' is for a new boat".

"I don't know where you got your erroneous information, Deniza.
WOW! That is rich, Brett! Capt Factchecker! I can't believe how you hard you failed in your endless blathering of nonsense in your attempt to police the forum. Then, you went calling out someone by name? LMAO! You are an idiot.
Lovinlife_NC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2016, 08:36 PM   #38
Guru

City: Victoria TX
Vessel Name: Bijou
Vessel Model: 2008 Island Packet steadysailer
Someone got their feelings hurt. SMH.
cardude01 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2016, 09:26 PM   #39
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lovinlife_NC View Post
WOW! That is rich, Brett! Capt Factchecker! I can't believe how you hard you failed in your endless blathering of nonsense in your attempt to police the forum. Then, you went calling out someone by name? LMAO! You are an idiot.
She's marketing director. More than willing for her name to be used, just as she used Judy's. She's here to conduct business.and I'm thrilled to see her promoting the brand as its a great boat with no market recognition.
Old 01-04-2016, 09:29 PM   #40
Guru

City: South FL
Vessel Name: Oliver
Vessel Model: Nordhavn 47 Hull# 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lovinlife_NC View Post

You need to take a chill pill, Capt. Short temper.

Nordhavn 47 Hull #12
N4712 is online now   Reply With Quote