Old 03-17-2013, 09:59 AM   #21

It is mostly about snob appeal. Does the guy who shows up at the country club in a Kia get the same "respect" from his peers as the the guy in a Beamer? Is showing off your Timex going to engender the same reaction as displaying your Rolex? I've always bought boats to take me out safely and to bring me, and my family, back. My Bayliners (2452 and a 3488) did that time and time again. They were not without systems problems associated with all boats, but I never felt endangered by either boat because it was a Bayliner. Same thing exists with trawlers. I once had a salesman look down his elegant Roman nose at me when I mentioned a preference for Mainship.
His comment, "Well, a Mainship is certainly not a Selene!", was meant to draw a sharp distinction between the brands; mine being of course the lesser. My reaction was only a good chuckle. I suppose some folks need to impress "superiority" on others. Me, I just need a boat to take me to beautiful places.

ColonyCove is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2013, 10:10 AM   #22
Guru

We should now compare Bayliners to SeaRays!!! My first inboard boat was a 23ft Bayliner. Before that I had a couple of small racing dinghies and a ski boat. But the Bayliner was great for what it was. It had a V berth, a queen-sized berth, enough room to sit at a table. An alcohol stove and a portapotty head. All that in 23ft. My wife, my young son and I used to use that boat for up to 2 weeks at a time. We docked it, anchored out and kept it on a mooring. Fantastic value. Just wish back in the day it had GPS and a chartplotter, more than once we ended up in the wrong place by dead reckoning with a compass and paper chart!!

Chrisjs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2013, 10:42 AM   #23
Guru

City: Longboat Key, FL
Vessel Name: Bucky
Vessel Model: Krogen Manatee 36 North Sea
Assuming that Bayliner remains a very progressive and competitive builder, I can imagine that the baby-boomer demand for trawler-like vessels (you know, the same group of Bayliner buyers that could always find a Bayliner to suit their needs as their needs evolved) would eventually inspire a Bayliner Fast Trawler to come to the market. If it does, I'll be on their doorstep, and I'll tell you why. Every time I'm at a boat show, I visit the Bayliner display and climb in among the crowds of kids and families to take a look at how they use space. No one does that better than they do, and I'm always looking for ideas. Our first boat was a Bayliner 2452 with a 300 and Bravo III duo-prop. It was a good value.

The idea that Bayliner is the Chevy of boats doesn't bother me a bit. I don't mind being a Chevy guy. Give me a stand-up engine room in a Chevy and I'll be happy.
healhustler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2013, 10:55 AM   #24
Veteran Member

City: Seabeck, WA
So it's interesting to hear the different opinions. I wonder if when everyone here first started boating, did we think that Bayliner was inferior? Speaking for myself, since I didn't know any difference, I thought Bayliner's were great. They looked nice, they were affordable, so our first boats (2 of them) were the small 17 & 19 foot runabouts. It's when I started really getting into boating, visiting the forums, that I noticed the Bayliner bashing. They where saying things like they had thin hulls with even some providing supposed examples of their hulls flexing. This provided quite an impact to a novice reading this stuff. What was not adding up in my mind was the fact that our two boats seemed well built, I certainly couldn't "flex" the hull (I tried by getting under it and pushing on it...seems silly now). To further the contradiction in my mind, I had a chance to see inside a 3270 and then at boat shows, the 39 footer, 52 footer and the 57 footer. Every one of these displayed a genius and obvious understanding of a thoughtful, efficient layout. In fact, some of these boats had been updated and had finishes that rivaled some of the higher end boats.

But to this day, there's still a annoying doubt that was seeded long ago. I have, for the most part, pushed aside this doubt and actually, is a boat that we are considering in our plans for our future...it's probably in the top 3. I just can't disregard the tremendous value that these boats are.

I just can't get why Bayliner didn't make go-slow boats (I think they did but very few and were smaller 26 foot Explorers I believe). Big boats shouldn't go fast. Jus' kidding. Maybe that's another topic.
Old 03-17-2013, 11:09 AM   #25
Guru

City: Avalon, NJ
Vessel Name: Freedom
Vessel Model: Albin 40
Bayliner History & Updates( Please note- mostly all written in chronological order over MANY years -with updates written as they occurred)
  • Brunswick (company who owns Bayliner, Sea ray, Hatteras, Sealine, Maxum, Boston Whaler, Cabo, Mercruiser, plus many other boat lines AND now even Cummins diesel) discontinued the Bayliner series of Motor yachts and Pilothouse Yachts in the spring of 2002 and they were “reborn” as Meridians for the 2003 model year at a much higher price ($300k higher MSRP- $150k more for cash deals) for exactly the same boat (they were 02 4788′s with 2 changed to a 3 on the 02 HIN numbers) as the year before when they were badged as Bayliner. ALL the BIG (49′ – 58′) Meridians were built from the same molds in the same factory by the same people as the Bayliners in Washington State. The Meridians have higher grade fabrics, hardware, bedding, faucets, etc., than the Bayliners, but many of the standard items offered on all Bayliners were options on the Meridians. You will see cockpit showers in the 4788′s, but likely will not in a 490. ETC.
Meridian & Bayliner Pilothouse Motoryacht- HISTORY and updates

Bayliner did have a perception problem...that's how they dealt with it...

I worked for a dealership when the change happened....I really liked the Bayliner Pilothouse models. My multimillionaire sailing buddy is considering a Meridian over a Flemming...because he knows he will never get hs money's worth out of the Flemming...yet he could easily afford it.
psneeld is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2013, 11:35 AM   #26
TF Site Team

City: SEWARD ALASKA
Vessel Name: LISAS WAY
Vessel Model: BAYLINER 4788
Wadosan

You'll mostly find bayliner bashing on Internet forums.

You never see it at the dock.

It's hard to bash a boat when it's sitting right in front of you able to prove the basher wrong.
www.mvlisasway.com
ksanders is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2013, 11:35 AM   #27
Guru

City: Atlanta
Vessel Model: Bayliner 4550 Pilothouse
The 45 pilothouse and newer 47 pilothouse are just great coastal cruising boats. Tons of room, best pilothouse probably in her class, and great fuel economy. Just for fun, here is the fuel burn data for my 45 with twin 220hp Hino diesels. Not bad at all for a 45' 3 stateroom boat. Really though, I just love the pilothouse- my man cave on the water!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	from helm.jpg
Views:	172
Size:	52.4 KB
ID:	17290  
Woodsong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2013, 11:53 AM   #28
Veteran Member

City: Seabeck, WA
Quote:
Originally Posted by Woodsong View Post
The 45 pilothouse and newer 47 pilothouse are just great coastal cruising boats. Tons of room, best pilothouse probably in her class, and great fuel economy. Just for fun, here is the fuel burn data for my 45 with twin 220hp Hino diesels. Not bad at all for a 45' 3 stateroom boat. Really though, I just love the pilothouse- my man cave on the water!
Woodsong - I couldn't find the fuel burn data.
Old 03-17-2013, 12:01 PM   #29
Guru

Sorry- was too busy propping my feet up at the pilothouse it seems!
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	220 Hino PERFORMANCE.jpg
Views:	319
Size:	122.8 KB
ID:	17291  
Old 03-17-2013, 12:26 PM   #30
Guru

City: San Diego
Vessel Name: "Sandpiper"
Vessel Model: 2006 42' Ocean Alexander Sedan
Quote:
Sorry- was too busy propping my feet up at the pilothouse it seems!
If memory serves me correctly, my buddy's boat had almost identical numbers.

This thread seems to have a lot of 4588 & 4788 owners on the defensive as well as Bayliner owners of different models. I have never owned a Bayliner and I shared the "Tupperware analogies" that were flying around (and still are!) for years. Both my brother, who had a 57' DeFever (stretched from a 53) and I had the opportunity to cruise on my buddy's 4588. We were stunned! Not only did it handle the open sea well (70 miles to Catalina from San Diego & back.) It was super comfortable, had a great galley and a super pilot house! Also, having a good turn of speed, this boat is extremely hard to beat.

People that knock them just don't know what the hell they're talking about.

If you haven't tried one, don't knock it!

My passion for improving my boat(s) exceeds my desire to constantly cruise them.
Codger2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2013, 01:29 PM   #31
Guru

Did Bayliner ever hire a marine architect or are they still designed by an in-house committee? Was on a smaller Bayliner that had the flybridge supported by window frames. The boat had a warning sign limiting the number of people allowed on the fly-bridge. Not the best engineering IMHO.
ancora is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2013, 01:45 PM   #32
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by ancora View Post
Did Bayliner ever hire a marine architect or are they still designed by an in-house committee? Was on a smaller Bayliner that had the flybridge supported by window frames. The boat had a warning sign limiting the number of people allowed on the fly-bridge. Not the best engineering IMHO.
My Silverton Convertible was the same way...if done correctly strong enough for intended use....

Through the Bayliner Smooth Ride System, complex curved hulls are performance-matched by in-house naval architects to the Mercury engines. Computer-aided design enables an exceptional level of precision and a high-quality fit and finish for every boat.

Great Lakes Boating Features: Bayliner - Where Fun Lives
Old 03-17-2013, 02:06 PM   #33
Guru

City: UMR MM283
Vessel Name: Northern Lights II
Vessel Model: Bayliner 3870
Quote:
Probably had more marine architects than some builders had employees.
Old 03-17-2013, 02:20 PM   #34
Guru

But no one with the stature of Ed Monk Jr., Tom Fexas, Art DeFever, et al.
ancora is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2013, 02:56 PM   #35
Guru

Quote:
But no one with the stature of Ed Monk Jr., Tom Fexas, Art DeFever, et al.
Doesn't mean they weren't just as good....they just didn't strike out on their own.

I just read a short biography of John Gardner NA who designed a yacht for one of the Bayliner Corp CEOs...John Gardner was quoted as saying the Baliner Express cruiser line were darn good "heavy veather" hulls compared to many production boats.
Old 03-17-2013, 03:54 PM   #36
Guru

Just to clarify for everyone, this thread is part of our overall sinister plan to merge the bayliner owner's forum with trawler forum. That should get the conspiracy theorists hoping!
Old 03-17-2013, 03:58 PM   #37
Guru

Quote:
Just to clarify for everyone, this thread is part of our overall sinister plan to merge the bayliner owner's forum with trawler forum. That should get the conspiracy theorists hoping!
I would welcome some new input!
Old 03-17-2013, 04:22 PM   #38
GFC
Guru

City: Tri Cities, WA
Vessel Name: Beachcomber
Vessel Model: Sea Ray 550 Sedan Bridge
I've chartered boats twice. The first was a GB 32, the second a Bayliner 4588. I loved the 4588 and found it quite capable of handling the Strait of Juan de Fuca. We got into a bit of a blow heading back from Victoria to Roche and were in 5'-7' waves. The boat did very well, surprising all of us with how well it handled the waves. It was a wet ride, but we were comfortable in the pilothouse.

As to the comment slamming the Bayliner motoryachts because of the decal that limits the number of people who can be on the flybridge....that has more to do with having too much weight that far above the center of gravity and the possibility of making the boat unstable than it does with actual weight capacity.

My boat has the same type of decal. I'm limited to 1500 lbs when underway, but no limit when anchored or secured to a dock.

I've always admired Bayliner's marketing plan. Several years ago they made a 16' boat in Mexico that had an outboard on it and came with a trailer and could be bought with minimum down payment and a monthly payment for $119 a month. That program probably did more to bring young families into boating than any other manufacturer had ever done.
Old 03-17-2013, 05:01 PM   #39
Guru

City: San Diego
Vessel Name: "Sandpiper"
Vessel Model: 2006 42' Ocean Alexander Sedan
Quote:
Originally Posted by GFC View Post
As to the comment slamming the Bayliner motoryachts because of the decal that limits the number of people who can be on the flybridge....that has more to do with having too much weight that far above the center of gravity and the possibility of making the boat unstable than it does with actual weight capacity.

My boat has the same type of decal. I'm limited to 1500 lbs when underway, but no limit when anchored or secured to a dock.
My 42' Ocean Alex Sport Sedan didn't have such a decal but should have had one! When my daughter graduated from law school, I took everyone out for a whale watching trip. There were 9 people on the fly bridge. I started to make a turn at approximately 10 knots & felt the boat start to lean uncomfortably to the outside of the turn. I quickly reversed my rudder angle and caught it. No one on board realized what almost happened and my knees shook all the way back to the slip. The CG of the boat was clearly compromised.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	OA 42 Sedan.jpg
Views:	177
Size:	96.3 KB
ID:	17292  

My passion for improving my boat(s) exceeds my desire to constantly cruise them.
Codger2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2013, 05:09 PM   #40

haha, had to go change your drawers!!! glad you corrected it.

justinclay is offline   Reply With Quote