artnautica 58

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

graemed

Have just seen the launch of the first of these amazing designs. Check out the stats on their face book page. Am following with interest!

Hi Graeme, tell us a bit more about this boat, and yourself. I have more than a personal interest. I belonged to the Napier Sailing Club from about 1978 to 1988, and had two trailer yachts over that period, a Tasman 20, and the last being a Gazelle 26, which I ended up bringing over here to Brisbane. There have clearly been a lot of changes at the club.

I hope you have a genuine interest in participating on this forum, so tell us a bit about yourself, and your link or interest in the vessel, named Kota I believe. It was presumably built there in Napier, with the design and help from Artnautica in Auckland. There is always a concern on our forum re folk who only come on to spruik some product, so be aware of that constraint. However, this does seem to be a one-off enthusiast's build, and if so, we are definitely interested.
Welcome to the forum.

Hi. I have no financial interest in this product but as a boatie have been captivated by the concept and watched it come to fruition at our sons workshop where Dennis from artnautica built the boat. Dickey boats(our son's business) have another under construction for a northern hemisphere client.
Dickey boats is a Napier high end aluminium boat builder but while producing many award winning boats in their short existence have not been active in this segment until recently.
What really appeals to me about this boat is it cruises at nearly 10 knots at less than a litre per nautical mile, achieved by a number of factors including a variable pitch propeller,long narrow waterline and light weight. it is self righting and low maintenance due to the raw alloy exterior. I know there will be a lot of knockers out there but I would rather be in a sea in a boat like this than some of the three deck height alternatives i have seen.
Another aspect i respect is the use of many low maintenance / manual systems incorporated to ensure ease of repair at sea.
The boat is called Koti which means home in Finnish. Dennis intends living and working on board.

There is quite a marked similarity in design concept to the Dashew designed alloy built range of boats, starting with the 83' grandaddy of them all called 'Wind Horse', and then a series of smaller ones referred to as the FPB (fast power boat) series. Wind Horse was built in Auckland. I must say I like the lines of Koti better.

http://www.rocna.com/sites/default/files/press_0509_boatingnz_dashew.pdf

I am a fan of the Dashews also but am not sure about similarities. Both aluminium of course and both reasonably low COG but very few other similarities

I am a fan of the Dashews also but am not sure about similarities. Both aluminium of course and both reasonably low COG but very few other similarities

Oh..? What about long, narrow, relatively light displacement, and easily and economically driven hull, with engines that would be considered considerably under-powered compared to more orthodox power cruisers of similar length..?

It is a very interesting boat.

I am currently considering a new vessel and keeping a close eye on this one. In many ways (this and FPB) are bit of bridge between yachts and trawlers.

One thing that put me off is the number of problems that occur with a new (and especially a reasonably radical) boat. It is more reassuring that they are already on hull number 2.

Dave Martin designed "1984 - Trendsetter 40" cruise at 8 knots at 1.4 imp. gph. planes at 10 knots with a top speed of 20 knots at 4.5 gallons per hour with a single 235 Volvo TAMD 60B.

Attachments

• 1.jpg
    1.jpg
    114.9 KB · Views: 342
Dave Martin designed "1984 - Trendsetter 40" cruise at 8 knots at 1.4 imp. gph.

Converting the units that is almost the same as the Artnautica is quoting on their Facebook page (at a slightly higher speed) from the vey short and limited sea trial

Artnautica 0.78 L/nm @ 9.8 knots into a slight headwind
Trendsetter 0.8 L/nm @ 8 knots.

Both excellent figures. I would have expected the Artnautica do considerably better than the Trndsetter with its narrow hull and running gear designed for maximum economy at displacment speeds together with a smaller newer engine.

But really how much time are you going to spend crossing oceans vs cruising. I'd rather have a 60ft Nordy, yes it's is slower, taller, not as fuel efficient. BUT is has a shiz ton of room. That's just opinion, I like the look of the boat but could never cruise in it.

A narrow beam 58 foot boat like this should not be compared to a wide beam boat of a similar length.

The total area and therefore the cost of building the hull of the Artnautica 58 would be less than the smallest Nordy especially when the reduced height is factored in.

Nordhavn produce some great boats, but they are completely different to the concept behind the Artnauitica. The latter is a much simpler boat. The aluminium hull is another major difference.

A narrow beam 58 foot boat like this should not be compared to a wide beam boat of a similar length.

The total area and therefore the cost of building the hull of the Artnautica 58 would be less than the smallest Nordy especially when the reduced height is factored in.

Nordhavn produce some great boats, but they are completely different to the concept behind the Artnauitica. The latter is a much simpler boat. The aluminium hull is another major difference.

Should of put length and width too, but what I'm trying to get at is, how long are you going be crossing oceans vs just cruising. Yes the Artnautica shines in the area of comfortably crossing oceans along with doing it fast and efficiently, BUT how much time are you spending doing that specific task in actuality. Again, it's all owner preference.

We bought a nordhavn because we wanted the most boat, and a comfortable sea boat. It performs those tasks great, along with the great efficiency ( to us that is). We never planned on crossing oceans, but now are considering it once we have the time too. That's an added bonus too. Simplicity, out boat is pretty simple once you get to know it, when we first got our boat it seemed to complex. But we spent time on it digging though every locker, nook, cranny, and etc. Now it's simple as it was taking out our little Camano out.

Last edited:
That's an added bonus too. Simplicity, out boat is pretty simple once you get to know it, when we first got our boat it seemed to complex. But we spent time on it digging though every locker, nook, cranny, and etc. Now it's simple as it was taking out our little Camano out.

I have great respect for the Nordhavn's, but they are complex boats. I don't have any problems understanding the systems, I am a gadget freak, but if you want to cruise out of the way places as I do there is a need to maintain, service, and fix these systems yourself. Using a boat almost 365 days a year creates a lot of maintence requirments for these systems,

I would rather a simpler boat that leaves more time for swimming, exploring and just watching the sunset. I don't suggest this is the right answer for everyone, but it is the right answer for us after 7 years of full time cruising. The Artnautica 58 is smaller than the Nordhavn 47, but is an adequate, even ideal size for a couple an very occasional guests.

That won't stop us accepting an invitation for drinks in air conditioned comfort once in a while. I will bring the single malt as payment :)

Last edited:
Yes every boat has different qualities and are built for different purposes. When you live in New Zealand our cruising area is across the Tasman to Australia and / or the pacific islands. Fairly long distances and much of it over open oceans so clearly the boat needs to cater to the particular challenges this involves.
Boats for this type of cruising have a different order of priorities to coastal cruisers for obvious reasons

HI - for those interested Artnautica have some video footage of the 58foot LRC posted on their face book page. Really like this concept

Artnautica LRC 58

It is a very interesting boat.

I am currently considering a new vessel and keeping a close eye on this one. In many ways (this and FPB) are bit of bridge between yachts and trawlers.

One thing that put me off is the number of problems that occur with a new (and especially a reasonably radical) boat. It is more reassuring that they are already on hull number 2.

Yes - I don't want a custom boat either - and the LRC 58 is interesting and something I'm watching the development of.

And while Dennis the Designer/builder has some good background as a boat designer, he doesn't have much experience as a long range passagemaker.

I wish that he had design advisors that included a group of experienced long range expedition (sail and power) type of people - it would make everyone more comfortable that the design tradeoffs that he's made are the right ones.

Otherwise - people have to wait and see if the boats work as advertised, and even then its hard to know.

The boat is currently in trials.

large-Dickey-Boats-New-Aluminuim-Marine-custom-vessels.jpg

Source: http://www.dickeyboats.com/news-and-events/sea-trials-dickey-boats-aluminium-lrc58-napier/

Last edited:
Hi. Dickey boats have the number two hull in build and were also involved with the first one. Jason dickey is a marine engineer with nearly three world circumnavigations under his belt on motor yachts. His philosophy is to work with each client to include those elements important to each. This combined with his advice should ensure a vessel fit for purpose. The build experience should be an enjoyable collaboration.
There is no question the basic hull ticks a lot of boxes.
You can check out the dickey boats web site for contact details if you wish

Wow, they got a nice line up. Their Custom 900 looks like a good Michigan boat.

Should of put length and width too, but what I'm trying to get at is, how long are you going be crossing oceans vs just cruising..

If you are not going to be crossing oceans why buy a Nordhavn? PAE agrees. Witness the birth and press of the CP59. A slow, heavily ballasted, ruggedly and overbuilt trawler vessel to run around the FL keys or Puget Sound is overkill. This is why so many low hour Ns hit the market without seeing spray on the windshield- reality.

I love Nordhavns and have lots of history with them. But, kinda like owning a one ton pickup and no horse or trailer.

We have plans to cross oceans. In four years once time permits we're going to set off and head west towards the canal. We got also got a Nordhavn because we didn't want to wait for weather windows in our particular cruising area. And the Nordhavn community, they're the best. I've met some great people I otherwise wouldn't have if we didn't get a Nordhavn.

But what I was getting at is would you wrather give a little sea keeping abilities for a good amount of cottage or vice versa.

Last edited:
Short video of the Artnautica LRC 58;

Found this interesting analysis on the usual too long / expensive moorage argument here: https://www.morganscloud.com/2013/10/06/artnautica-58-design-analysis/

Now for the economic problem that plagues long boats: You have to pay to dock them.

Let’s keep our LRC58 in the relatively luxurious Confederation Basin, across the park from City Hall here in Kingston. This year’s seasonal slip rates are $216 a metre, so we’re paying $3850 a year to moor our motor yacht. If we chose, instead, to buy an 11 metre trawler with the same displacement and the same usable living volume, we’d be paying $2375 a year.

So the LRC58 costs an extra $1475 a year in dockage (luxury dockage, in the heart of downtown) compared to her short, fat counterpart. That’s a fair bit to me, but it’s peanuts in the context of half-million dollar boats.

More importantly, though, it’s only about 1000 nautical miles worth of the difference in fuel costs between the LRC58 and the 11 metre trawler with the same livable volume at the same cruise speed. (Our example trawler, which shall remain nameless, burns about 14 litres per hour at 7 knots.)

The extra docking costs of the LRC58 are nullified by the fuel savings if I were to do only four runs a year from Kingston to Toronto or Niagara, a leisurely passage of about 250 miles round trip. If I were to take her out the St. Lawrence to the Maritimes, paying for dockage by the foot along the way, the Artnautica would be financially ahead of the trawler before we reached John’s home base in Nova Scotia.

Back
Top Bottom